• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions for Acura

My salesman is going for his test drive and training next week and was kind enough to agree to bring questions to Acura

Here is what I started with in no particular order.

Please feel free to add some and I will send them along (as long as they are not inflammatory)

Has the car been tested with Pirelli Winter Sotto Zero 3 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?
When the nav starts up, does it say Acura at any time?
Is Honda badging available?
Can we get an electronic version the owner's manual?
What are the suggested service intervals?
Will Acura assign a liaison to address questions prior to delivery?
Is home delivery a possibility or does the car require some PDI at the dealership?
Is a test drive prior to delivery possible?
What is the status of the factory tour?
Can you confirm that customers will receive a scale model in the colors of the actual car?
Can we opt to delete chrome (door handles and grill)?
How long should the paint cure prior to application of a clear bra?
Is a front plate hanger that does not require the front bumper to be drilled available?
Please confirm that carpeted floor mats are standard.
When will target build dates be communicated?
How many cars will be built for the US market prior to ex. US cars being built?
Does Acura plan to address the issue of market adjustments?
Will Acura hold owner's events at tracks and/or other venues?
What kind of product placement activity might we expect?
Is there an update regarding the availability of accessories such as a spare set of Y spoke wheels?

when will the type R be produced?

how so?

They don't even have the "base" car out yet and we want info on a speculated model (that never came to the US for Gen 1). In addition to the Type R, I would like to know if they will go targa or right to a vert and if so, hard top or soft top.

Honda has suct at providing real info for this program.

No way they are going to tip any hand about stuff like the way cool Type R that could be 4+ years out.

For this exercise, I just want to provide a peppering of Qs that they will likely be able to answer, though many will be with a no or not yet.

Here are the replies. No answers on a couple of them as clarifications were requested.

There is a lot of info still to be sorted out.

The PDI (or PQI in Acura speak) is confirmed by the cool 23 page tech document that Bruce found.

Has the car been tested with Pirelli Winter Sotto Zero 3 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?
No information regarding what kind of tires were used to test.

When the nav starts up, does it say Acura at any time?

Is Honda badging available?

No Honda badging available.

Can we get an electronic version the owner's manual?

Yes there is with all Acuras.

What are the suggested service intervals?

No info available yet, but we will have that by the time you pick up for you car.

Will Acura assign a liaison to address questions prior to delivery?

There is a liason you can speak with, but it is not available until after delivery. Super cool resource!

Is home delivery a possibility or does the car require some PDI at the dealership?

To my knowledge the car does require a PDI, but I am not 100% on that yet.

Is a test drive prior to delivery possible?

No test drives available prior to delivery.

What is the status of the factory tour?
The factory tour will most likely be later this Fall, but we are waiting on additional information about that.

Can you confirm that customers will receive a scale model in the colors of the actual car?

Yes, this is correct!

Can we opt to delete chrome (door handles and grill)?

All of the vehicles I saw had flat gray door handles. The grill cannot be changed at this time.

How long should the paint cure prior to application of a clear bra?

The paint needs to cure 60 days before any type of clear bra as well as any wax application. All that can be done is washing and needs to be done by hand.

Is a front plate hanger that does not require the front bumper to be drilled available?

Not to my knowledge, but usually front plate brakets are installed as part of a PDI. We can leave it off if you wish.

Please confirm that carpeted floor mats are standard.

Yes that is true.
When will target build dates be communicated?

Still waiting on this.

How many cars will be built for the US market prior to ex. US cars being built?

We have no way of knowing how many NSXs were allocated to other dealers.

Does Acura plan to address the issue of market adjustments?

Will Acura hold owner's events at tracks and/or other venues?

They might, but nothing confirmed at this time.

What kind of product placement activity might we expect?

Is there an update regarding the availability of accessories such as a spare set of Y spoke wheels?

Still waiting on this answer as well.

Sorry that I don't have all the answers to your questions. I'll keep you posted on any more info when it does become available. It's really a ridiculously awesome car though! We got to take two laps, twice, and then a professional driver took us around the track as well. They did not allow personal cameras but did let us video our test drives. Once I get that, I will send it to you.

Bruce, I can answer the tire question for you in part. I saw Pirelli SottoZeros on the preproduction models at the NSX on Tour event I attended in November. I may even have a pic for proof.

Bob,

Thanks for the confirmation that Honda has tried the Pirelli winter tires as they appear to be the only option in the market. Perhaps Bridgestone will step up prior to next winter.

FYI, I am Jerry. Bruce lives in FL and may not be a consumer of snow tires (Jealousy on my part).

My mistake. Has a little brain fart there. :) :)

If ALL the NSX 2.0 cars for the entire world are made in Ohio, then a US resident SHOULD be able to order one, for US delivery, in RHD & with Honda badges...right?

I believe the answer is a big fat no.

I asked about getting the car delivered with Honda badging and was told no.

I didn't think about the RHD question and would assume that will suffer the same fate.

Manufacturers set specs for markets and the U.S. is LHD.

...but I bet Honda badges are available for purchase in the parts department... ;)

Just change out the airbag...no biggie.

Maybe after you see the price you will have another view

i would imagine that this car will have parts prices similar to Porsche

If ALL the NSX 2.0 cars for the entire world are made in Ohio, then a US resident SHOULD be able to order one, for US delivery, in RHD & with Honda badges...right?

Why?

....jdm boooyeeee .or maybe not....

I'd say the naming and badging of a model is a manufacturer decision.
LHD or RHD would likely be a US Govt. decision.

Have absolutely no idea why a manufacturer would consider selling RHD to the US or LHD to the UK.
Makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't know if I'd ever pay $200k for something I couldn't test drive first. That's some crazy faith. What if you hate it?

I don't know if I'd ever pay $200k for something I couldn't test drive first. That's some crazy faith. What if you hate it?

Wondering if you get to test drive Ferrari 488, Porsche GT3 etc?

....jdm boooyeeee .or maybe not....

No, I am a mature (over 40), professional adult. I was just curious about RHD since they will ALL be built here.

As far as Honda badges: All Acura cars are Hondas. (As all Infiniti cars are Nissans & all Lexus cars are Toyotas....nothing new here). So why not badge them as such?

Per "History of Acura" that I was taught as a newly hired Acura salesperson back in 2002: In early to mid 1980's, Honda decided their quality was on par with, and they could compete against, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...BUT, they knew, since Honda stood for "affordable", that customers would not pay "BMW money" for a car with a Honda badge, so marketing decided to kind of "fool" the American buyers, (the rest of the world already respected Honda enough), by creating a new brand (Acura) and marketing it as a luxury car.

From 1986 to 1991, the concept took off like a bottle-rocket, sooooo, Toyota decided to copy the idea. Then Nissan, not wanting to be left out of the game, threw their hat into the ring with Infiniti.

Creating a new brand ALSO allowed Honda to double the number of cars they were allowed to import to America, which was restricted at the time.

Unfortunately, even now-a-days, due to Toyota having a more pro-active marketing department, Lexus is viewed, by the general public, as a higher level luxury brand than Acura (I don't know where Inifinti falls, nor do I care).

I personally find it funny when non-car people ask what kind of car my '92 NSX is...I tell them, "a Honda" (it is badged as a Honda). This shocks those not very familiar with cars.

Somebody once asked if I would put Toyota badges on an LF-A (if I bought one), you bet I would.

We all remember and KNOW that the 1982 to 1988 Cadillac Cimarron was nothing more than a Chevy Cavalier / Pontiac Sunbird with leather interior and Cadillac badges. Cadillac was only fooling the gullible. I even once got into a discussion with a friend in high school who didn't believe that the '70's, '80's, and '90's Camaro & Firebird were the exact same car with slightly different end caps slapped on, and, of course, different badges. He really believed these two cars were as different as say a Porsche 911 and a Ford Mustang (he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed).

To me, it's about patronage to, and promotion of, the true brand.

Confusing the gullible is just for extra grins.

:D

YMMV...

PS: It's not like I was putting Ferrari badges on an NSX (we've all seen goofballs that do this)

Last edited:
Badges.jpg

SOME people do...LOL!

Back