• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear Trunk Struts Assy. - GSB? vs OEM

Hi prime,
So my rear trunk struts need replacing cause I'm tired of using my head to hold up the trunk while I grab stuff out :tongue:. Did some search but don't have much info on GSB rear trunk struts (http://www.amazon.com/GSB-support-struts-Acura-springs/dp/B00MPMDWPG). Anyone bought from them and have any reviews? I know a few years ago, a vendor did a group buy or something. So there must be someone here that can chime on how it is. They are half the cost of OEM trunk struts and comes with the ball studs. GSB quoted "100 lbs. compression force each, surpassing oem by 10-15 lbs." Should I invest in this or stick with OEM? Saw one review on youtube about the rear engine struts but thats about it. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

I'd stick with Showa. The oem manufacturer.

You might want to get your oem ones rebuilt from Frank at Strutwise. I had both sets, rear hatch and trunk done 3 years ago and they are just perfect and at very good rate. I added this link from the Buyer/Seller Experiences here on Prime.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/195179-Strutwise

91 NSX Red​/Black

Do you remember how much you spent? It might be more than $63 bucks compared to the GSB. Assuming that I have to pay for shipping and the repair cost if I went that route.

I'd stick with Showa. The oem manufacturer.

I usually would stick with OEM but wanted to see if it benefits more going aftermarket since they quoted 10-15lbs more compression than OEM.

I think I'll buy both the gsb engine cover and trunk struts tonight. I'll let you know whenever I get them.

Thanks

Do you remember how much you spent? It might be more than $63 bucks compared to the GSB. Assuming that I have to pay for shipping and the repair cost if I went that route.

I believe that it cost me $120.00 Canadian for all 4 to be redone, shipping included. Canadian dollar is around 80 cents U.S. right now, so it would be even cheaper if you are a U.S. citizen. This way you are staying oem as well

91 NSX Red​/Black

I used Frank quite a number of years ago and they've lasted a long time in spite of my winter use which is typically hard on seals. And he turned them around very quickly. However, that assumes that they're re-pressurizable. He told me that some people/mechanics have a habit of putting a vice clamp on the strut cylinder as a temporary measure prop and this can damage the cylinder-to-seal integrity.

Frank at Strutwise. this is the best option...

Less cost than new ones and a much better result. He puts a bit more pressure in them and they work perfectly for years... 5 years now..

wow... thanks guys. I'll see if I can contact Frank from strutwise to get a quote.

The Showa struts are very good quality and only lose pressure over time, 20 yrs or so.
When these vendors say they "rebuild them " they are probably only repressurising them which doesn't involve disturbing the strut or seals, which is a good thing!
They should last another 20 years.........

Got the GSBs installed. They are not as "refined" as the oem units, the oems have a heim dealio at the end. These do not (both the engine hatch and the trunk struts). The lack of the heim doesn't seem to interfere with the operation however and these work just fine and fit great with the exception that the brakelight wiring clip doesn't fit perfectly anymore without the removal of some material which I elected not to do.

We will see how long they hold up. Planning on getting the OEM ones repressurized if these ever begin to fail.

Got the GSBs installed. They are not as "refined" as the oem units, the oems have a heim dealio at the end. These do not (both the engine hatch and the trunk struts). The lack of the heim doesn't seem to interfere with the operation however and these work just fine and fit great with the exception that the brakelight wiring clip doesn't fit perfectly anymore without the removal of some material which I elected not to do.

We will see how long they hold up. Planning on getting the OEM ones repressurized if these ever begin to fail.

oh wow... thanks for the update. Got any comparison pics of the GSB vs OEM? BTW, I did contact Frank and was quoted $110(exclude shipping) for both the engine hatch and trunk.

oh wow... thanks for the update. Got any comparison pics of the GSB vs OEM? BTW, I did contact Frank and was quoted $110(exclude shipping) for both the engine hatch and trunk.

I'll get some pics tomorrow when it's light out, but you'll see why the OEM ones cost basically 2x more.

Heims observed here on the trunk strut:
attachment.php

And here on the hatch strut:
attachment.php

Both have ball joints on the opposite side.
New GSB struts, no heim on the trunk side like the OEM has, also you can see the clip doesn't fit on the top without trimming:
attachment.php

If I notice any adverse wear on the trunk as a result of no heim, I will be replacing the trunk struts with the repressurized OEM unit and may do that anyway for the clip to fit.
New GSB hatch strut has a ball joint instead of the heim:
attachment.php

These are all black whereas OEM has shiny rod. The hatch struts I like better than the trunk struts from GSB.

Edit: My phone camera apparently doesn't focus anymore.

Attachments

• 20160509_114653.jpg
    20160509_114653.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,151
  • 20160509_114525.jpg
    20160509_114525.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 20160509_114803.jpg
    20160509_114803.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 20160509_114840.jpg
    20160509_114840.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,128
Last edited:
Thanks for the review mrdeadman! I think i'll either buy a new set or have it done by Frank.

I've had the GSB trunk struts for a couple months. They work perfectly, zero issues. Smooth operation. Very strong, fit perfect. I don't see any reason to buy oem for this. Not something anyone will ever notice and they function the same as oem. I doubt anyone really uses their trunks that often either. So long as they can last a number of years, worth every penny.

Anyone have a DYI on swapping out the rear trunk struts?
if you are replacing the oem trunk struts. Do yourself a favor and buy the optional ball studs for 20 dollars...

GSB are borderline in a pinch.... and that's about it.. don't use the washer it will rust and you should add a spacer on the top mount as there is way too much play you have to get rid of brake wiring kit.. The instructions mislead you " attach wire clip and your done" .... well it will not work with these struts period.. I wish I would have had mine rebuilt or bought OEM

Absolutely, already have all the new parts. Is this a simple DIY swap out job?
If you have the new ball studs, it is a piece of cake. Besides, the old ball studs usually have paint on them that flake and look like shit if you reuse them anyhow.

I am going to send in my trunk and engine cover struts. How does the service work? Send the struts to Strutwise and they contact me with their assessment and quote? I sent an inquiry and he responded, but it was vague.

Back