• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

me in the German Time Attack Masters 2016

Hello!

I am back from the first round of the GTAM at Nurburgring. The weather was cold and wet, but after 1am it dryed up and all the cars used Semislicks or full slicks.

When I did the free practice the track was wet and it was a bit tricky to get fast around. I tried a bit too fast and I got too much overstear and slided into the grass, lucky nothing broke, just come back into the pits with a dirty NSX.

Here is my build up thread
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/189800-The-quot-austrian-type-R-quot-NSX

I won the Class Club 2WD and also can keep up with the big guys pretty well. I use Federal 595RS-R which is known for a good price-performance level (95 euro front and 125 euro rear tire per tire). I talked to a EVO 9 owner which used the Federal and the Dunlop Direzza and he told me the Direzza is about 3 seconds faster on a 1:40 minutes track. This session he used the all new Nankang Semislick AR-1, he thinks this tire is between the Federal and the Direzza. I was 2,5 Seconds faster than him in his 400hp Evo

I don't know exactly how much faster my car is this season, but a guy with his Nissan 350z from the PRO Class was last year 3 seconds faster than me at the Eurospeedway. This session I was 1 second faster then him. He did nothing on the car during winter time, when I asked him and he also use a better tire (Direzza). Compared the time difference to some other cars from last year there should be an approvement of a few seconds.

Mods I did from last year Time Attack to this Time Attack.
- 40kg curb weight
+ 50hp to the flywheel
wider tires 235 instead 215 front and 285 instead 255 rear.

Last edited:
Nice work, well done on the improvements over last year

That is a very good performance.
Nice to read you are doing so well. Your NSX certainly looks good.

I have been using the Federal 595-RSR for a couple of years now and I have been happy with them. Just yesterday I had a new set of front tires put on the car, but I went back to 215/40. Was using the 235/40 before but since I don't really need max. grip in the front, I switch back to the 215/40 tyre to get rid of all the rubbing I was experiencing.

I consider the Federal a very good semi-slick for the prize you pay. The Tory R888 is probably better, but it is way more expensive.
3 seconds faster on a Direzza on a 1:40 track seems an awful lot to me.

Keep us posted on your results.

Yes, when I testdrove the 235/40/17 on the street, it rubbed horrible, thru all those bumps, etc on our roads. I have it on 8x17 offset 40mm. But on the track it was pretty okay, very minor rubbing. On street I would run the 215/40/17 like you mentioned.

Nice job!

I think if you use another manufacturer's 235/40, it would rub less. The 255 feds are wider than a normal 255 from my experience. I'm using the new 595-rsrr's and its wider than the old 255 595rsr.

hm, so you mean if I use another brand, it will rub more, not less, cause you say your new Fed is wirder then the old one?! I know the Toyo 888R is a bit wider than the Federal. An option would be Yokohama A048 in 225/45/16 and 255/40/17, those are the stickiest Semis you can get, but 3 times more than the Federal. Benefit would be less drag on the long straights when it comes to top speed and it will grip better then a wider cheap Semi. There is no 17inch option for the front on the Yoko A048

hm, so you mean if I use another brand, it will rub more, not less, cause you say your new Fed is wirder then the old one?! I know the Toyo 888R is a bit wider than the Federal. An option would be Yokohama A048 in 225/45/16 and 255/40/17, those are the stickiest Semis you can get, but 3 times more than the Federal. Benefit would be less drag on the long straights when it comes to top speed and it will grip better then a wider cheap Semi. There is no 17inch option for the front on the Yoko A048

That's what i'm thinking. It "should" rub less. I'm only basing it my experience on my s2000. I had 255/40/17 Dunlop Z2's on 17x9 +63 wheel with a 15+ mm spacer, plenty of clearance no rubbing. When i swapped to 255/40/17 Fed 595rsrr it rubbed the outer lip of my fender. I had to switch to a 5mm spacer to prevent it from rubbing.

What's your class limitations on tire? And are you datalogging your sessions?

Back