• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Too Quiet

I sent an email to Acura Client Services today to ask if production had started and if they could provide an production date for my car.

Once I hear back from them I will share the reply.

Remember, Acura is a failed brand for a reason, and we are seeing it from how poorly they communicate/message/follow up.

Back to the Ford GT; more decades of fan base, a second gen car that paid homage visually but was bean counted, now a full on world competitor kind of car coming out when there are lots of folks who can fork over $450K and say USA, USA, USA. Counterpoint, the car will take a lot of crap over the V6 and it will be interesting to see a) how reliable it is and b) if the performance is all folks are expecting to be.

Last edited:
They definitely "lost their fanbase" with the HUGE gap between models. I think excitement will build (or fade further) when publications get ACTUAL production cars to test (with full instrumentations) head-to-head against the incumbant "cool kids". That is probably a couple of months away.

Counterpoint, the car will take a lot of crap over the V6 and it will be interesting to see a) how reliable it is and b) if the performance is all folks are expecting to be.

will have to wait and see on that one. i have two friends with GT's who have applied for and are anxiously awaiting the new car. one of their cars makes 750 horsepower. neither of them seems concerned about the turbo V6, and from attending a few car meet-ups lately no one else seems bothered either.

which is interesting and surprising to me. you would certainly think that owners of big displacement American engined cars wouldn't be down with a small turbo V6 powering the legendary Le Mans winner...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. it has been eerily quiet the last month or two.

I believe the GT will be an exceptional car

What I was getting at is, in a world with cheap bolt on HP and big displacement V8s, I see a lot of press and Camaro fan boy types dissing the GT.

In my mind it is the first US car (since I have cared about cars) that is forward thinking to the level of the Euros.

Last edited:
It also would appear that the belief that Honda has been building and stockpiling NSX drivetrains to ease production flow is not the case.

Back to the Ford GT; more decades of fan base, a second gen car that paid homage visually but was bean counted, now a full on world competitor kind of car coming out when there are lots of folks who can fork over $450K and say USA, USA, USA.

But the Ford GT will be built in Canada by a Canadian contractor! Although I suppose anyone chanting "USA" won't realize that.

Also, I disagree with the idea that GT popularity is due to having a fan base spanning decades. Prior to the 2005 GT being released many people had never heard of the original GT40. I know I hadn't. You have to be really old to have been an avid watcher of 1960's motor racing and have found memories of the GT40. The original NSX has a bigger fan base since it's a 30 year newer car, was featured in many video games, and (unlike the GT40) could occasionally be spotted on the street.

The real reason why the new GT is getting so much attention is because of its awesome style. We still know nothing about the car's performance and the V6 engine certainly doesn't provide bragging rights. People simply love how the car looks and are imagining the performance will match. And Ford has done a good job ensuring the GT is perceived as being a very exclusive car. By contrast the NSX is perceived as a car that anyone can buy if you have the money.

Last edited:
The exclusivity game is tricky.

Lexus tried that with the LFA and it kind of back fired.

I received an allocation on the first round. I called up a local Chicago dealer and the guy was like, how did you get an allocation? I have had to tell a bunch of my best customers no, including the (at the time) number 2 guy at Motorola, who was pissed (paraphrasing) and was like if I am not good enough for Lexus I don't want to d any more business with you. Lexus had a lot of drop outs and lied about allocations only going to customers (over 50 of the 10ish US allocation went to dealers and a few still haven't been sold).

Ford did a splendid job connecting the previous GT with the GT40 its' racing heritage and I think it is carrying forward. The Canadian build part is funny (would you trust building this car to someone who builds Explorers) but folks will still scream USA based on the Ford badge.

Back to the Ford GT; more decades of fan base, a second gen car that paid homage visually but was bean counted, now a full on world competitor kind of car coming out when there are lots of folks who can fork over $450K and say USA, USA, USA. Counterpoint, the car will take a lot of crap over the V6 and it will be interesting to see a) how reliable it is and b) if the performance is all folks are expecting to be.

"bean counted"??? It was a all new "hand built" limited production mid-engine automobile.
How much do you think FoMoCo made on that?

- - - Updated

- - - Updated - - -

But the Ford GT will be built in Canada by a Canadian contractor! Although I suppose anyone chanting "USA" won't realize that.

Also, I disagree with the idea that GT popularity is due to having a fan base spanning decades. Prior to the 2005 GT being released many people had never heard of the original GT40. I know I hadn't. You have to be really old to have been an avid watcher of 1960's motor racing and have found memories of the GT40. The original NSX has a bigger fan base since it's a 30 year newer car, was featured in many video games, and (unlike the GT40) could occasionally be spotted on the street.

The real reason why the new GT is getting so much attention is because of its awesome style. We still know nothing about the car's performance and the V6 engine certainly doesn't provide bragging rights. People simply love how the car looks and are imagining the performance will match. And Ford has done a good job ensuring the GT is perceived as being a very exclusive car. By contrast the NSX is perceived as a car that anyone can buy if you have the money.

Im not "really old" and I damn sure remember it very fondly, Enzo got his little red wagons shoved up where the sun doesn't shine. Just because you didn't know of the GT40 before the release of the 2005 GT doesn't mean it doesn't have a fan base spanning decades, for gods sakes.
I'm still laughing at the idea that "That the original NSX has a bigger fan base since it's a 30 year newer car, was featured in many video games, and (unlike the GT40) could occasionally be spotted on the street". Video games.....really?....GT40 seen on the street?.....it was a race car.
Full disclosure: I own a 2006 Ford GT, and have ordered a 2017 NSX.

Last edited:
Boss, the bean counted point referred to the fake scoops that payed homage to the original design and the use of the lighting truck motor. I didn't come up with this stuff. It was heavily discussed, particularly when Ford asked owners to stop driving the cars while the (half shaft I believe) TSB issue was going on.

I have to wonder...
The point of this post starting was to get enthusiasm and talk regenerated.
And as a result, most of the discussion shifts off NSX and is on the Ford GT?!

The third line of the original post pointed to the GT so it looked like it was in the scope of the discussion

Yes, but it seemed to eventually take over the discussion and become the main focus. Stuff happens.
I was just pointing it out.

neither of them seems concerned about the turbo V6, and from attending a few car meet-ups lately no one else seems bothered either.

which is interesting and surprising to me. you would certainly think that owners of big displacement American engined cars wouldn't be down with a small turbo V6 powering the legendary Le Mans winner...

- - - Updated - - -
The Ford GT is going after a class win and must therefore meet a spec. I wonder if there was an uproar when the 2005/06 GT got a little modular V8 (with a supercharger) instead of big 427 side oiler?

- - - Updated - - -

Full disclosure: I own a 2006 Ford GT, and have ordered a 2017 NSX.

Funny, I bought my 2006 GT while waiting for the NSX to come out...now my budget is spent.

- - - Updated - - -

Boss, the bean counted point referred to the fake scoops that payed homage to the original design and the use of the lighting truck motor. I didn't come up with this stuff. It was heavily discussed, particularly when Ford asked owners to stop driving the cars while the (half shaft I believe) TSB issue was going on.

Virtually all the scoops on mine are functional (except the two little ones in the nose that were supposed to be used for brake cooling but final architecture interfered).
The Lightning truck motor comment sounds like an attempt to be discrediting and the design/architecture is related...but the GT has an all-aluminum, dry oil sump, twin injector modular V8 with a supercharger. Most dynos say around 520-530 hp at the rear wheels (factory stock).
I too recall the TSBs etc...when they came out and thought surely that Ford had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

We need to push/publicize these flaws so that the prices fall and I can afford at least another one!

Last edited:
The meh response from Acura

At this time we do not have information on an estimated delivery date for your exact vehicle. Production of the NSX is expected to begin this month. Once production has begun we will have more ability to estimate exact delivery dates. We are very sorry, and thank you for your patience.

I am not dumping on Ford in any way.

The previous GT was a big hit and the current street prices prove it. With all the stuff that gets written about vehicles, folks took their shots at it like any other car. The emotion toward the last one is energizing the situation around the new one

Has Acura name the person in charge of marketing the new NSX? That is who needs to step up and do their job.

Last edited:
I believe the GT will be an exceptional car

What I was getting at is, in a world with cheap bolt on HP and big displacement V8s, I see a lot of press and Camaro fan boy types dissing the GT.

In my mind it is the first US car (since I have cared about cars) that is forward thinking to the level of the Euros.

i agree, completely...

i disagree completely. the Ford GT is legendary, whether you knew about it or not. i wasn't born until well over a decade after the Ford beat Ferrari at Le Mans, but i definitely know this part of motor racing history, it is a big one. the original NSX cannot compete with the GT on this level, it doesn't have that level of achievement. i have to agree with Bosscobra on this one...

I have to wonder...
The point of this post starting was to get enthusiasm and talk regenerated.
And as a result, most of the discussion shifts off NSX and is on the Ford GT?!

much like the NSX debut, hijacked by Ford...

At this time we do not have information on an estimated delivery date for your exact vehicle. Production of the NSX is expected to begin this month. Once production has begun we will have more ability to estimate exact delivery dates. We are very sorry, and thank you for your patience.

really?

that's pretty pathetic. how do they know nothing about their cars? still?

I am stumped at how they could be so dumb as to not put someone in place who know how to cater to rich people.

Back