• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what happened around here???

man how things change....did facebook kill the community or is it just father time and a different ownership group???

I stumbled upon one of my old video's form a Malibu canyon run from like 2004 and was amazed....It looked like mini NSXPO in the meet up parking lot...must have been 40 something cars...

Ortega/Palomar runs would get like 20 sign ups in 2 days back then....now we're lucky to get 10 in two weeks.

I miss the days when this place was buzzing with activity.

end of rant.

Yes, involvement has dropped off, but those that are still active are hard core types, and I'm one of them. It would be nice to have more NSX'ers participate on a regular basis. What I'm a little worried about is a heavy drop off in activity. However, again that is unlikely due the the hard core NSX'ers that are still around and will be around for many years to come.

Just my opinion!

I check in here daily and see .

I never thought it was a super active group as far as chat here but it has dwindled down. It seems like the older gang just left the room entirely.

Last edited:
I still prefer hanging out here but i'm of the old guys, but not like the ancient guys like [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] ;)I'm done updating my car though and it's really only been a handful of guys than can offer stimulating conversations now like [MENTION=28830]jwmelvin[/MENTION] or [MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION]

What ever happened to people like Anytime, Fury, SilvrOne, PoohBear, etc????

Times have changed. Used to always be on forums, but with social medias like facebook and instagram having more direct interaction, it makes socializing within a community much easier. I do still check back in forums occasionally though.

I still prefer hanging out here but i'm of the old guys, but not like the ancient guys like @docjohn ;)I'm done updating my car though and it's really only been a handful of guys than can offer stimulating conversations now like @jwmelvin or @Mac Attack

Waiting for "stimulating conversation", now that is a good one.

I'm on here daily but like Regan, my build is mostly done. So I only jump in when it's something I can help a new Primer with or local stuff. The back and forth with turbos and BC coilovers threads is making my head hurt.

man how things change....did facebook kill the community or is it just father time and a different ownership group???

I stumbled upon one of my old video's form a Malibu canyon run from like 2004 and was amazed....It looked like mini NSXPO in the meet up parking lot...must have been 40 something cars...

Ortega/Palomar runs would get like 20 sign ups in 2 days back then....now we're lucky to get 10 in two weeks.

I miss the days when this place was buzzing with activity.

end of rant.

I know you posted in a local forum and you may be talking slowdowns in NorCal group activity more than online Prime activity but...I blame 90+% of the crickets in Prime and in-person meetups worldwide on facebook, instagram, and youtube. And it's not that folk are replacing the NSXPrime "resource" with NSX-specific activity on FB & instagram (the disposable fast-food nature of facebook & especially instagram don't hold a candle to NSXPrime if you want to refer back to something more than 10 minutes later) but rather I think it's more that a person has only a certain daily capacity for spending time online for their hobby and online socializing. With all the additional online resources related to our hobby and other interests, something's gotta give. I volunteer to keep an ethnic social club alive in downtown Pittsburgh that, up until 5 years ago, had been extremely vibrant for the past 55 years, with live music every Friday and a great group of regulars and rotating non-regulars to catch up with for hours. Now that you can watch youtube videos of most every song/group out there and not need to see them in person, and now that you can keep up to date with what everyone's doing while sitting on the can, attendance has dropped off crazily in the past few years and the events may soon be dropped.

Pretty scary what's in the world's future once VR and other home simulations get real! Who will need to pay $100k to own an NSX when you can just VR pilot a millennium falcon?
[MENTION=26803]NSXPRIME[/MENTION] [MENTION=3730]Lud[/MENTION] would be nice to have the return of the "photos of the month" or other time-sensitive activities to try to jostle more regular recurring visits here!

Yeah, I still check in from time to time, but Facebook is where I spend most of my online time these days. The immediacy (i.e. receiving notifications on phone), use of real names as opposed to Prime handles and avatars, and immediate photo sharing make it far more ideal for regular communication than a forum format.

The downside is that it is MUCH harder to find or revisit specific topics of conversation on Facebook.

I would like to see Prime stay viable since it is a valued resource. But as us regulars visit the site less and less, response times will slow...

On the bright side, it's not like our SoCal community is any less active. Just a couple of weeks ago we had over 40 NSXs attend the 2016 Eibach Honda Meet...which, of course, was organized on Facebook

http://www.akira3d.com/NSX/Meets/2016-0515-Eibach-Honda-Meet/

031_S7_20160515_091833-X3.jpg

Last edited:
If you think this forum is slow, watch what happens when you sell something for cheap.

It's instantly like a swarm of locusts!

I'm on here everyday but I post on FB if I can't find my answer after searching on here.

Example: I needed a part number before 3 pm and the time was after 2. i didn't have the time to research on prime so I asked for help on the owners group on FB, another owner was able to assist me within minutes.

I'm on practically everyday. I have Prime open in an extra tab just like Facebook and email. I'm a new owner so I don't have much to contribute, but I enjoy reading any new bit of information that members post or ask a questions about. I have also purchased a handful of parts off Prime that haven't been posted to Facebook. I agree though, Facebook is a much better resource for quick info/help.

Well, I'm going to sound like an old guy .. partly because I am one. But I've also been on Prime virtually every day for the past 15 years. Not a fan of Facebook .. but I embraced it as part of a recent group buy (that was the good part) and I've been inundated with a mostly useless flow of chatter than wastes my time.. and I'm about to shut it off. (I'm putting my flame suit on now). I would characterize most of it as chatter about meet-ups which most of us who don't live in SoCal don't have any interest in because (a) we don't live in SoCal, and (b) it wouldn't work where we live because there's not enough of us ... plus a whole bunch of "look at me and what I've done" types who seem to be looking for some kind of validation that their latest purchase was a good one ... or ones who seem to incapable of setting their own style and want people to flood them with pictures of whatever wheel or wing or seat that they might be thinking about ... or treat their FB friends as some kind of personal Siri service to give instant answers because they don't have time to do it themselves. I've gotten only one nugget of information in about a month and that was someone posting their maintenance experience that Honda was no longer stocking a particular part ... good luck ever trying to find that when you need it. Virtually everything else was throw away content.

Now Prime's value (at least to me) on the other hand is that it's a resource hub .. where you can usually find stuff when you need it .. and as RYU said, you can have a 'stimulating' discussion about a technical topic because the people on here selflessly share what they've learned and what their opinion is (if asked) and they do their research before asking questions ... they're 'givers' not 'takers' like a lot of the FB crowd. Most Primers likely won't get together at local meets .. but you'll find them and get to know them at NSXPO meets. Let the A.D.D. types migrate to FB where they can feed their need to be constantly stimulated .. the real value is here on Prime.

Just my $0.02 worth. I might be a Luddite ... but I have put in 40+ years of corporate I/T and have seen the rise of social media and its characteristics .. and I'm not liking most of it. I believe that Lud has tried to evolve Prime to appeal to those who need a social fix but I'm suggesting that it's two different crowds .. with different needs and expectations. As some have suggested here, FB's strength is lightweight immediacy not sustained value and permanence that Prime's strength is. Unlikely you'll find one tool that does both.
.rant off

well said...luddite.....:biggrin:

Ian
I've dropped off Facebook too for the reasons you mentioned.
Prime traffic is down but the knowledgeable owners and the database is here.

Well, I'm going to sound like an old guy .. partly because I am one. But I've also been on Prime virtually every day for the past 15 years. Not a fan of Facebook .. but I embraced it as part of a recent group buy (that was the good part) and I've been inundated with a mostly useless flow of chatter than wastes my time.. and I'm about to shut it off. (I'm putting my flame suit on now). I would characterize most of it as chatter about meet-ups which most of us who don't live in SoCal don't have any interest in because (a) we don't live in SoCal, and (b) it wouldn't work where we live because there's not enough of us ... plus a whole bunch of "look at me and what I've done" types who seem to be looking for some kind of validation that their latest purchase was a good one ... or ones who seem to incapable of setting their own style and want people to flood them with pictures of whatever wheel or wing or seat that they might be thinking about ... or treat their FB friends as some kind of personal Siri service to give instant answers because they don't have time to do it themselves. I've gotten only one nugget of information in about a month and that was someone posting their maintenance experience that Honda was no longer stocking a particular part ... good luck ever trying to find that when you need it. Virtually everything else was throw away content.

Now Prime's value (at least to me) on the other hand is that it's a resource hub .. where you can usually find stuff when you need it .. and as RYU said, you can have a 'stimulating' discussion about a technical topic because the people on here selflessly share what they've learned and what their opinion is (if asked) and they do their research before asking questions ... they're 'givers' not 'takers' like a lot of the FB crowd. Most Primers likely won't get together at local meets .. but you'll find them and get to know them at NSXPO meets. Let the A.D.D. types migrate to FB where they can feed their need to be constantly stimulated .. the real value is here on Prime.

Just my $0.02 worth. I might be a Luddite ... but I have put in 40+ years of corporate I/T and have seen the rise of social media and its characteristics .. and I'm not liking most of it. I believe that Lud has tried to evolve Prime to appeal to those who need a social fix but I'm suggesting that it's two different crowds .. with different needs and expectations. As some have suggested here, FB's strength is lightweight immediacy not sustained value and permanence that Prime's strength is. Unlikely you'll find one tool that does both.
.rant off

Ian,
LIKE !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/319...group_comment_reply&notif_id=1464976909591819

double like...........and I'm taken.....please friend me though...........

I still enjoy logging on here daily. Facebook is far too intrusive into my personal life and when my mother wants to friend me, that is when I do not get Facebook. Facebook has also been known to ruin people's jobs and personal life.I actually never had a Facebook account. Sure it is convenient, but I have found Prime to be very convenient if given patience. I can sell parts here with ease and buy parts from respectable members without extra fees, which is why I am a paying member and I recommend anyone joining should be too.Never have I purchased anything from someone here where I felt uneasy... You can always do a Prime background check on a member. Or as Tamoske would call it, "sexy time on prime". Sure some members have moved on, that is natural. Nothing good lasts forever. I also think the nsx platform has pretty much been taken as far as it can go. Which is why I made a decision recently to stop modifying. I will only improve things at this point such as paint, and restoration. I also will not sell my nsx. I have my eyes on a gtr to modify, but I will not sell the nsx to get it. So yeah, it isn't buzzing with activity but the activity it has still helps me with issues I run into. Therefore, I will continue to support this great forum. Lots of good people here who I hope I have the chance of meeting someday.

Last edited:
I try to post more on Prime than I used to, but it is difficult when the traffic just isn't here like it used to be. I much prefer the Prime crowd over the FB crowd and I'm not even that "old" I joined Prime in my very early 20's and loved the environment that was here. I would like to think that I am contributing to keeping Prime great with meaningful posts and information as much as I can.

Here's to the Primers! loyal and true.

I am here to inject levity , monkeyshines, and keep-in it real, since 2001...whilst playing liberal pick up games of pocket pool....

Say what you will about one being better for quick satisfaction versus long-term referencing - The world isn't inventing more free time, it's inventing more timesucks. Every minute spent on Facebook after 2009 ate up the margin of free time that was available for things like prime, and that's why I personally think traffic has dropped off in many places in the world that rely upon personal interaction. There are specific crowds for sites like prime, but the entire world get sucked into Facebook. So while we are all enjoying this bump in posting on prime in a thread about the dropoff in posting, we better enjoy these times now. Once VR gets really good and affordable and lets me put an imaginary supercharger in my NSX and the actress from the movie Brooklyn in the passenger seat, 2016 may be known as the time when people were still actively contributing on prime. :)

Last edited:
Back