• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speeding ticket in Front Royal, VA

I received a speeding ticked in Va and it is mandatory appearance because of the speed. I was doing 94 MPH in a 70 MPH zone so it is considered reckless driving. Does anyone have experience with this in VA ? If so can you recommend a GOOD lawyer ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've had a number of speeding tickets in Virginia but never in Front Royal.
Get a local (to you) lawyer that you trust/respect to recommend a lawyer in Front Royal.

I went through this in Fairfax, VA. I was caught on the Dulles toll road for doing more that 20 over the limit. Trust me, you are about to be in a world of pain. Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in Virginia and can have serious consequences, including jail time, massive fines, and license suspension. However, there are things you can do to minimize the pain.

First, you need a lawyer in the jurisdiction that knows the judges and the police officers in the area. I don't know anyone in Front Royal but this is absolutely critical. Bringing a lawyer in from the outside is not going to be as helpful. Once you have a lawyer, they are going to ask you to do a few things and you should follow all of their instructions. I had a speedometer calibration which didn't help. I attended driving classes for two full weekends which were expensive and painful. I did many weekends of community service and was able to secure letters from the organizations to prove my attendance. I also had a stack of personal references from friends and community leaders that basically said I was normally a good person but made a mistake in this case. In the interim, I sold the car, a 911 Carrera 4S. This wasn't required, but it was nice to show that I was driving my pickup instead of a sports car. Of course, I neglected to mention that I sold the Porsche to buy an AMG E55, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

So on my court date, my lawyer told me that there was a chance that I might have to spend the night in jail. I came dressed in a suit, was completely professional, and had the stack of paperwork showing the driving course completion, community service work, personal references, and the sale of the car. Of probably 5-6 people there that day for reckless driving I was the only one who had done anything like this. My attorney talked with the police office before I was called up and he agreed that I had done enough for atonement and would say as much to the judge. When I went up to the bench, it took all of five minutes for the judge to reduce the charge from a misdemeanor to a simple ticket. The ticket wasn't cheap but at least it wasn't a conviction. Every single other person who appeared that day for reckless driving was convicted.

I hope this helps! Like I said, this isn't going to be easy but there is a chance that if you put in the effort that you can walk out without spending any time in jail or having your license suspended. It was worth it to me to do that effort.

I went through this in Fairfax, VA. I was caught on the Dulles toll road for doing more that 20 over the limit. Trust me, you are about to be in a world of pain. Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in Virginia and can have serious consequences, including jail time, massive fines, and license suspension. However, there are things you can do to minimize the pain.

First, you need a lawyer in the jurisdiction that knows the judges and the police officers in the area. I don't know anyone in Front Royal but this is absolutely critical. Bringing a lawyer in from the outside is not going to be as helpful. Once you have a lawyer, they are going to ask you to do a few things and you should follow all of their instructions. I had a speedometer calibration which didn't help. I attended driving classes for two full weekends which were expensive and painful. I did many weekends of community service and was able to secure letters from the organizations to prove my attendance. I also had a stack of personal references from friends and community leaders that basically said I was normally a good person but made a mistake in this case. In the interim, I sold the car, a 911 Carrera 4S. This wasn't required, but it was nice to show that I was driving my pickup instead of a sports car. Of course, I neglected to mention that I sold the Porsche to buy an AMG E55, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

So on my court date, my lawyer told me that there was a chance that I might have to spend the night in jail. I came dressed in a suit, was completely professional, and had the stack of paperwork showing the driving course completion, community service work, personal references, and the sale of the car. Of probably 5-6 people there that day for reckless driving I was the only one who had done anything like this. My attorney talked with the police office before I was called up and he agreed that I had done enough for atonement and would say as much to the judge. When I went up to the bench, it took all of five minutes for the judge to reduce the charge from a misdemeanor to a simple ticket. The ticket wasn't cheap but at least it wasn't a conviction. Every single other person who appeared that day for reckless driving was convicted.

I hope this helps! Like I said, this isn't going to be easy but there is a chance that if you put in the effort that you can walk out without spending any time in jail or having your license suspended. It was worth it to me to do that effort.

^ This is a really good post and very good advice.

VA speeding laws are flat out dumb. There is too much revenue in the fines and too much political pressure from safety nannies to ever expect it to change though.

That punishment sounds unnecessarily punitive. Back in the day, when we used to get to VA (driving from NY), we felt we could drive fast because we were in the unregulated south where ppl have more simple freedoms.

I guess that wasn't or is no longer the case. Plus NOVA is a different animal - doesn't sound like a fun place to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentally prepare to get F all the way and leave no hope except for preparation and luck.

Dress and Address: White Shirt + Dark blazer, pretend polite. Wear all white underwear (for real) if there is a chance for jail as you never know.

Follow above input on lawyer PLUS I would recommend to go to court ahead on few days and find the best lawyer by looking at the entourage and results he/she produces on the spot. If you see any other lawyers asking/approaching another then you know who is good. PM if need more info.

Good luck! VA is !@#$%^&*()*&^%$#

I got a misdemeanor reckless ticket back in 2007... I was young, dumb, and broke so I just sucked it up and went to court without one. I was lucky because the judge suspended my jail time (90 days) and part of my fine, along with 3 years probation. I messed up and got another speeding ticket 2 years later and went back to court for my suspended jail time. Judge wanted to give me my full 90 days. I was working full time and in school at the time so I threw that out there. Ended up doing one night in jail (suspended 89 days). so yes, I legit almost got all 90 days (max for class 1 misdemeanor).

As the others have said, get a good ass lawyer in Front Royal and hope the reckless gets dropped to simple speeding. reckless f's your insurance rates up for a while.

pm gsommer

Just wanted to post a update here and say thank you to everyone that chimed in on this thread. I hired a lawyer in Front Royal and he was a huge help. I settled out of court because he entered a plea on my behalf. Total cost was about $1100.00 with fines and court cost. Most important part is no jail time . ��

Last edited:
thanks for the update....

Buy a Valentine One immediately. Best purchase I've ever made. It has kept me out of trouble for many years. Yes, they are technically illegal in VA. Yes, I do live in VA, and have one anyway. Why? Because I'd rather pay the $50 fine with no points on my license than a speeding ticket. of interesting note: the Federal Communications Act of 1934 prohibits outlawing any device that receives a lawfully transmitted radio signal (which is all a radar detector does).

Buy a Valentine One immediately. Best purchase I've ever made. It has kept me out of trouble for many years. Yes, they are technically illegal in VA. Yes, I do live in VA, and have one anyway. Why? Because I'd rather pay the $50 fine with no points on my license than a speeding ticket. of interesting note: the Federal Communications Act of 1934 prohibits outlawing any device that receives a lawfully transmitted radio signal (which is all a radar detector does).

And I'll add to that by having a Laser Jammer installed. Yeah it's illegal in your state, but you slow the fvck down and turn it off as soon as you are targeted.

Back