• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My recent time trials with AROSC at Buttonwillow 6/4/and 6/5

This was my second time at Buttonwillow. Last year I posted a 2.23 best time. Yes, its not fast, but I was and still am a newby. Last year I had to cut my weekend short in that my clutch was slipping, so I only had participated in four sessions.

In the past, when running a track for the second time, I had made great improvements over my previous times, generally 5 to 10 seconds faster. However, this time, I bested last years time by only 3 seconds, and that was after 10 sessions. I felt I was running faster, but the timer does not lie. I have some videos that I plan to study, to see where I can improve. I was a little disappointed, but my last run felt good, so I did end on a good note. And, not to forget, I had a lot of fun!

Next up is Willow Springs in September, which will be my third run at this track. I'm hoping to improve my time by about 5 seconds, more if possible. I have a video of my last time out and I'm going to study it too.

Thanks for reading,

Mario

PS: Clink on the links below for in-car vidos. Note, there is no sound in that my remote mic mafunctioned. Comments welcomed!

https://youtu.be/CDaB4mR39UA

https://youtu.be/JBhzQ061bZI

Last edited:
Hey Mario. I know a few people that have run with AROSC and all say they've had a great time. I don't have an Alfa (obviously), but does that even matter? is there any sort of ride along or 'signoff' required to participate? How are the run groups structured? I'm no track newbie, but again my race car doesn't have a passenger seat. I'm interested in making it out next time!

Hey Mario. I know a few people that have run with AROSC and all say they've had a great time. I don't have an Alfa (obviously), but does that even matter? is there any sort of ride along or 'signoff' required to participate? How are the run groups structured? I'm no track newbie, but again my race car doesn't have a passenger seat. I'm interested in making it out next time!
no rookies allowed. Go run with your peeps at ExtremeSpeed brah

Hello Illwillem,

I have heard a lot about you, good of course. AROSC (Alfa Romeo Club of Southern California) is a part of the National Alfa Romeo Club. AROSC has been sponsoring or co-sponsoring Time Trails and wheel to wheel racing at most tracks in SoCal for over 40 years. Generally they sponsor or co-sponsor five track events per year, with two events left this year, the next is at Willow Springs in September, and in December, they are co-sponsoring TT's and races at Laguna Seca.

I have been running with AROSC since December 2014 (16 track days in all), at the egging on of my brother-in-law who owns and Alfa. I have also attend two of their high performance driving school weekends at The Streets of Willow Springs. You do not have to own and Alfa to participate in their TT's and races. In fact, the majority of race participants own Miatas and other car makes. You don’t even have to own an Alfa to become a member of AROSC, I just joined this year.

For their TT's, they offer three run groups, Novice (limited passing on select straights with point by), Intermediate (passing anywhere with a point by) and advance (open passing anywhere on the track). The run group you can participate in is dependent on your experience level, generally based on the number of track days you have participated in. They also offer 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. place ribbons for the fastest times per "car class" and per race at each race weekend. At the end of the year they issue silver coated plates for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers per car class. To participate in a particular car class, you need to register your car based on a weight-to-power formula, which includes adjustments for tire type, suspension mods plus a few other things. It is intended to result in cars of similar performance competing with each other. When all is said and done, you end up with a number, and that number tells you what car class you will compete in. I have a stock 97 NSX with moderate to significant suspension modifications and street tires, which places me in the "O Class". However, due to the lack of competition (primarily due to not enough car participants in the “O Class” and also because I have proven to be faster than most of the cars in that Class last year and so far this year) I have recently asked to be moved up to the faster "N Class". To have your lap times recorded, you can rent a transponder for each track day, or you can provide the code for your own transponder. The last run of the day time determines your position in your car class for the day.

To compete in wheel to wheel racing, you need to make various safety modifications to your car, including a full roll cage, a 5 or 6 point harness, fire extinguisher, and specific protective clothing and helmet requirements. I think they are going to require neck restraints, i.e., Hand Device soon if not already. In wheel to wheel racing you will also be competing in a car class with awards given at after each weekend race event and for for total points earned for the year.

If you are a novice, which I understand that you are not, you can have an AROSC instructor ride with you. However, I don’t think that you are required to have an instructor. After each session, you are required to attend a download and instructional class. In the classroom AROSC instructors teach the basic of track driving and rules. All of this is included in your weekend fee, which is usually a little less than $300 per weekend, not including the $10/day transponder rental. One day participation is also available.

The intermediate group has less restrictions, as does the advance run group. However, the advance group requires a 5 or 6 point harness and a fire extinguisher.

You are not officially allowed to take on a passenger when participating in AROSC events, unless you have earned an AROSC Time Trial certificate, which took me a year to earn. I believe you can take on a passengers if you have earned certificates form other race organizations, i.e., NASA and SCCA.

Click on the following link to the AROC Home page. There, you can learn more about AROSC and their track and social events.

http://www.arosc.org/

One of the reasons I like running with AROSC, is they really emphasize safety. Sometimes, they also have smaller run groups. Lastly, they are a great group of guys, and some women. The only thing that worries me is that most of the ALFA guys are in there mid to late 60’s and they need new blood to carry on their program. Hell, I’m just about 65 myself, so I should be talking LOL

Anyway, I probably provided TMI, but I hope you will join me at Willow Springs, there are only a few of us NSX’ers running with AROSC. And, I would like to hit you up for some ride-along instruction in that I’m really still very much a newbie!

Best,

Mario

Last edited:
Ah, that's GREAT info! Thank you for taking the time to write that all up. I have a good friend that has a 65 Sprint Giulia and has been egging me on to use his +1 or join AROSC myself. With all the info it sounds like I shouldn't need any more prodding. Since I help run/officiate a similar Hpde class for old Honda Front wheel drive cars I'm always curious to see how other operations are run (especially established ones) and meet new people. I'll take a gander at the web address you posted and will hopefully be on track with you guys soon!

Willem

On a serious note, i'd love to try this with you guys. I've been doing more established track days with outfits like Hooked On Driving, Fast Toys, and the occasional club or dealer sponsored events. I much prefer these days even at the higher entry prices. With the exception of Speed District and Speed Ventures, I'm no longer signing up for Extremespeed, Redline, and the other budget track day organizers. Keep us updated please!

On a serious note, i'd love to try this with you guys. I've been doing more established track days with outfits like Hooked On Driving, Fast Toys, and the occasional club or dealer sponsored events. I much prefer these days even at the higher entry prices. With the exception of Speed District and Speed Ventures, I'm no longer signing up for Extremespeed, Redline, and the other budget track day organizers. Keep us updated please!

AROSC Only sponsors by them selves is track events at Spring Mountain (Big Willow). All other track events are co-sponsored with other race organizations. At Buttonwillow they partner up as a minorty partner with Northern California Race Club. At Chuckwalla they generally team up with SpeedVentures. I'm not sure who they will Team up with at Laguna Seca in December.

It would Be great to see you at Big Willow September 10th and 11th.

Back