• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a deep throaty exhaust like HKS. Can you recommend?

Do not want something extremely loud but deep. I used to have a HKS on my AP1 and loved it. Unfortunately I cannot find HKS or Tubi (my top 2) anywhere. So, what other options are there? I have a CT gen II and like it but dont love it as it is too quiet (close to stock). The CT is also kinda raspy that I dont care for. Taitec GTLW also sounds raspy. Pride LW sounds good but have not heard in person. Help!!!

Pride exhaust is raspy as hell in my opinion. Especially the LW version. Maybe it is because the only ones I heard were on ctsc cars. Personally I love the apx the most.
Ark sounds good too.

For you i'd probably recommend the HKS (least expensive if you can find used), Angus AP-X (least expensive new), the Titanium ARC (probably the best sounding of the bunch to meet your criteria), the Fujitsubo (is also quite good). The last two are $$$ but you pay for the lightweight Ti and the unique sound. You could also just do what I did and design your own. Get as fancy as you like :)

We have a RM Racing (now made by B&B) muffler on our NA car, and even with stock cats it imparts a nice low frequency tone.

The apx has a nice rumble from idle to about 3200 rpm. Between 3200 and 4500 it is rather quiet. Anything above 4500 it is sceaming. Which makes highway cruising around 4000 rpm ideal for cabin comfort. Might be too quiet for your tastes but some helpful info. Plus you get multiple adjustments to make it line up perfectly.

What is the closest to HKS (currently avail) setup? :)

I had the HKS with test pipes on my NSX and sounded great. Throaty but without the drone. When it fell apart I replaced it with the Taitec JGTC Parallel and put the cats back on and it sounded even better than the HKS. It was not high pitched like the Taitec GTLW, and it sounded like the car had a V8 at idle. It was not intrusive inside the car and at WOT it was music to my ears. I have to admit that when I first put it on without the Cats, it's was terribly loud and I couldn't drive the car for more than five minutes. Iput the cats back on and enjoyed that exhaust for ten years.

You can add the Toda Ti exhaust to the list (basically all Ti exhausts as it seems) - they have a stockish, a bit deeper and sportier grunt, without being too loud or obnoxious.

A while back, I went looking for the Taitec GTLW [for a 2002] and believe it not made anymore.
Is this correct?

I had an RM Racing unit (now Billy Boat Exhaust) with stock manifold and cats that had a deeper throaty sound even with it having a hole on the top. I believe that it probably has the lowest pitched sound of all the NSX exhaust systems. I now have a Pride V2, with headers and resonated test pipes. Higher pitched and loud when at wide open high rpms, but lower pitched at lower rpms. No drone or tin can sound. My friends who drive other types of exotics and sports cars love the sound.

I have a Pride Lightweight on an otherwise stock setup. It has a deep sound and is not raspy. As long as you don't SC your car, add test pipes, or remote cats, it is NOT raspy. You can find my video on YouTube.

I have a ARK DT-X that I have been very pleased with. It has a very nice idle and low RPM note and at WOT isn't raspy and loud. I also enjoy the low rumble on deceleration.
The quality and fit was fantastic. It also has a quad tip that fits with the rear end design very well. The uTube videos and sound don't represent the exhaust at all.
Brad

I had the SOS/Cantrell Concepts Endura Lite exhaust and it was pretty deep. The biggest downside for me was the drone from 2000-3000 rpm.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5hqkJy2GWww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's someone elses that also shows the tone:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LYm4Jq3o2XA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have Billyboat exhaust, headers, Angus resonated pipes. Nice low tone sneaking through my neighborhood - hardly noticed.
Really nice and noticeably louder when you are on it.
My car came with the exhaust - added the headers and test pipes later.
These come up here and there used but patience is needed.
All can be had at retail.

There's an HKS for sale in Japan right now for about $600 we could import.

I have the Taitec GTLW, love it. Deep exotic sound, like the NSX should have come from
the factory.

I love mine too - it is shame that you can't buy one anymore.
I have a ARK DT-X that I have been very pleased with. It has a very nice idle and low RPM note and at WOT isn't raspy and loud. I also enjoy the low rumble on deceleration.
The quality and fit was fantastic. It also has a quad tip that fits with the rear end design very well. The uTube videos and sound don't represent the exhaust at all.
Brad

taitec gtlw is a deep note and quite loud

Totally agree. I have this on my 94 and LOVE the sound. It gives the nice deep burbles on downshift as well!

Folks, I have found a Tubi, so I am happy for now. Sounds great, a little bit louder than CT and has a growl at lower rpms and screams in VTEC. No drone so I am happy :)

Totally agree. I have this on my 94 and LOVE the sound. It gives the nice deep burbles on downshift as well!

Same here, LOVE my Taitec GTLW exhaust. Have had a lot of other NSX owners ask me about it and said they like the sound.

Back