• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tail light stud repair

Every so often we get tail lights with loose studs. Having loose studs can create issues both ascetic (tail light not fitting correctly) to problematic (leaks into the trunk/tail light)

One fix we've done that works quite well is to use a torch and repress the studs back into the light.

BIYH1ur.jpg
We'll work with the center tail light since it's smaller and easier to take photos with :)

akHAFU4.jpg
The studs on the NSX tail light are pressed in. While this is OK and will last a few years without any issues the problem is after time the plastic gets brittle and gives way to the stud - often cracking as we can see here.

ZKtqOG3.jpg
To start the repair we remove the stub and use a clamp to press together the cracked pieces and reform the plastic hole.

fwhlfg5.jpg
Then using a a lighter or a blow torch start heating the the metal stud until it's hot enough to melt the tail light plastic (15 seconds with the torch... 1 to 1.5 minutes with a lighter)

tfwRxVj.jpg
Immediately press the stud back into the tail light housing. Be sure to press the stud deep enough so that some of the melted plastic will start wrapping around the stud. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes

5NL88Wr.jpg

And that's it! Pretty simple and extremely strong and will likely last much much longer than the stock setup. Hope this helps! :)

Good info. I'll have to remember it when the time comes to work on the tail lights. Have you tried building the plastic back up with one of the the blue light plastic repair kits like Bondic?

Good info. I'll have to remember it when the time comes to work on the tail lights. Have you tried building the plastic back up with one of the the blue light plastic repair kits like Bondic?

I haven't used bondic but it sounds like a great product! For me I use this stuff http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/abs-glue/ips4707-pt It's ABS glue and works better on plastics than anything you can buy at lowes/home depot

I used the Blu light stuff to fill a rock hole on the front turn signal lens. You can't tell it's there. The stuff is meant for filling and not for bonding surfaces together. You can fill deep cracks or holes but it needs to be done in stages. Once filled you can drill and screw into it
and sand it.

Last edited:
Perhaps some JB Weld to supplement the torch melt method would add another layer of security to the stud?

Back