• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can US buyers get RHD & Honda badges?

If ALL the NSX 2.0 cars for the ENTIRE world are made in Ohio, meaning that the RHD Honda ones are coming out of Ohio, then a US resident SHOULD be able to order one, for US delivery, in RHD & with Honda badges...right?

If not...WHY not?

You should check current transportation legislations about selling new RHD cars in the US.

I don't think it matters where the cars are being produced, what is important is what set or rules and regulations the car will have to obey to be street legal.

I doubt any US/Canadian Acura dealer would help you with this. I assume you'd have to treat this like any imported RHD car, and would have to get it from an importer or an overseas Honda dealer. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Then you'd have to consider whether your state would even register such a beast.

NHTSA says it's possible, but with a lot of work.
List of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation (as of 12/2015)
NHTSA said:
All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive vehicles except where the initials "RHD," signifying right-handdrive, appear in the model type column. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drivevehicle, they may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similarU.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles alone. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered forsale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advisesus that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle indynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that thevehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, includingthose for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed.

I think the main question is why would Honda want to sell a RHD NSX in the US market even if it is permitted.
I've read Ford and FCA already make RHD vehicles in the US for export but don't offer them for sale in North America.

1) Why do you want a RHD car for use on LHD roads in the USA? Because it's cool? Some people buy older RHD cars because those cars were never offered for sale here, and that I can understand.

2) Have you ever driven a RHD car, in either automatic or manual, on LHD roads? A) I'll let you in on a secret; it's difficult. You can't see around turns and corners, and it just plain sucks. B) Getting used to shifting with your left arm isn't easy either.

3) Have you ever driven a LHD car on RHD roads? See answer to #2 part A.

I don't understand the attraction of driving a RHD car in the USA especially if that same car is made in LHD format. If you want to drive a RHD car, rent one in England and have a good time.

There could be a plethora of reasons why the buyer wants a RHD car. Perhaps he is ultra wealthy and has a spare parking spot available on his mega yacht that's currently docked in Palm Beach and Miami. His country of residence or one that he frequents might have driving on the left. I could go on and on. When you deal with the ultra wealthy you do as asked. Everyone has their reasons for doing something. Again, it's not a big deal to simply sell the guy or gal the RHD car with an MSO so he can get it titled wherever his wealthy heart desires. I could go on and on with possible scenarios but I think I've made my point. Last year a Chinese billionaire won an auction at Christie's and charged the $170,000,000.00 on his Amex. No I didn't get it wrong, it was $170 Million dollars. Some guy wants to buy a damn car to his specs, sell him the damn car to his specs.

1) Why do you want a RHD car for use on LHD roads in the USA? Because it's cool? Some people buy older RHD cars because those cars were never offered for sale here, and that I can understand.

2) Have you ever driven a RHD car, in either automatic or manual, on LHD roads? A) I'll let you in on a secret; it's difficult. You can't see around turns and corners, and it just plain sucks. B) Getting used to shifting with your left arm isn't easy either.

I don't understand the attraction of driving a RHD car in the USA especially if that same car is made in LHD format. If you want to drive a RHD car, rent one in England and have a good time.

Having driven RHD cars in both England and Japan, shifting is not that difficult. Now if the OP is talking about NSX2.0 which I think he/she is from what I read it won't matter. I have driven an old RHD Integra here in the states you are right it is hard making turns, if you are not use to or never driven a RHD car then it takes some time getting used to compensating for the passenger side of the car being on the left side of where you sit vs the right. Passing is next to impossible. I agree that it is a waste of money just to buy a car that was sold here in the states in RHD layout. You don't even get cool points except with the ricers/tuner fans. However having a car like the GTR R32, 33, 34, or NSX-R, something that was not available for US market would get you the cool points. Passed that I think it is a waste of money. NOW, that being said Hugh is right it is their money and they have earned it, so they can spend it how they see fit.

There could be a plethora of reasons why the buyer wants a RHD car. Perhaps he is ultra wealthy and has a spare parking spot available on his mega yacht that's currently docked in Palm Beach and Miami. His country of residence or one that he frequents might have driving on the left. I could go on and on. When you deal with the ultra wealthy you do as asked. Everyone has their reasons for doing something. Again, it's not a big deal to simply sell the guy or gal the RHD car with an MSO so he can get it titled wherever his wealthy heart desires. I could go on and on with possible scenarios but I think I've made my point. Last year a Chinese billionaire won an auction at Christie's and charged the $170,000,000.00 on his Amex. No I didn't get it wrong, it was $170 Million dollars. Some guy wants to buy a damn car to his specs, sell him the damn car to his specs.

If an individual has enough money he can buy what he wants where he wants so no need to worry about import regulations and so on.
I believe Bill Gates imported a Porsche 959 years ago.
He couldn't legally register it or drive it on public roads back then but he still had one in the garage.
So I'm sure someone could buy a RHD NSX somewhere in the UK, HK, Aus etc, bring it to the US and garage it.
But not likely to be able to register and drive it until it was 15 years old.

If an individual has enough money he can buy what he wants where he wants so no need to worry about import regulations and so on.
I believe Bill Gates imported a Porsche 959 years ago.
He couldn't legally register it or drive it on public roads back then but he still had one in the garage.
So I'm sure someone could buy a RHD NSX somewhere in the UK, HK, Aus etc, bring it to the US and garage it.
But not likely to be able to register and drive it until it was 15 years old.

Even if they bought it and imported it over, they have to fudge the documentation after "25" years. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, you cannot bring the car over prior to the 25 year mark unless it was show/display. (think that covers track too) and even after that you have a lot of work to re-work the paperwork to register it for the road. There was a petition going around to repeal the 25 year rule and make it 10years. Needed 250,000 signatures only got 208,000.

Even if they bought it and imported it over, they have to fudge the documentation after "25" years. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, you cannot bring the car over prior to the 25 year mark unless it was show/display. (think that covers track too) and even after that you have a lot of work to re-work the paperwork to register it for the road. There was a petition going around to repeal the 25 year rule and make it 10years. Needed 250,000 signatures only got 208,000.

Sorry, you are correct about the 25 years.
I'm in Canada and it's 15 years here.
Brain fade on my part.

Sorry, you are correct about the 25 years.
I'm in Canada and it's 15 years here.
Brain fade on my part.

yeah I envy you Canooks. My wife is from Regina SK and she tells me about importing cars at 15 years.

... NOW, that being said Hugh is right it is their money and they have earned it, so they can spend it how they see fit.

I don't have any issue with someone buying the car with money being no object. It's just driving a RHD car on our roads is difficult. That was the meaning behind my post.

I don't have any issue with someone buying the car with money being no object. It's just driving a RHD car on our roads is difficult. That was the meaning behind my post.

I agree 100%

To be absolutely honest it isn't hard at all in normal traffic, you'll get used to it rather quick (it isn't like driving RHD in RHD traffic for the first time, that's worse!)
Shifting is easy it will take you a few minutes, nothing changes at all your just using a different hand.
That said mixing the indicator and wiper control up is annoying as hell.

I'm speaking from direct experience here I have a few customers that have RHD cars and we here drive LHD.

talking about the same issue but from the other side, driving a LHD car in a RHD country like here in NZ it's a pain in the arse. Shifting gears is easy but trying to overtake is no fun

Then there is the air bag badge and the 2 key fobs

after you do all that you need a software update to remove the Acura logo from the center display

i did just see a video on YouTube where Marin Acura sold a car and said it was heading to a an owner in Japan

Wow, you are awesome

1500 euros is brutal to just get the JDM vibe going on
It's the complete airbag module, airbags are very expensive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• T6N4B3110.png
    T6N4B3110.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 654
I am not questionin you at all

just noting what it takes to do a thorough JDM ification

i am sure the fobs will be pricey and good luck trying to get someone to upload the Honda software to the car

The question is why?

Some of it is that many Honda enthusiasts connect primarily to the Honda brand and its roots in Japan

the NSX has been badged as a Honda in Japan

i myself associate Acura with stupid moves like the ZDX

Back