• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Price check and questions on potential NSX purchase

After looking around I found out that the car has been parked for the last 4-6 years. The etests in Ontario are valid for 2 years, and based on the history it has not been etested since till 2016.

NSX_etest.jpg

@BAVARIA I definitely like taking things apart and don't mind getting my hands dirty. At the same time I am also afraid that I might bite off more than I can chew. Waiting for the NSX service advisor and technician to return to work next week.

Oh and thanks for the recommendation on the PPI in Michigan.

Last edited:
Update:
Took more than half the day off today from work to drive 3 hours to Acura West to meet the seller for the PPI.

The PPI didn't cover much except for the basic safety requirements like the burnt passenger front marker bulb, warped rear brake rotors, passenger wiper blade and the spray nozzle direction being off. They also noticed the engine leaking a little oil around the covers and AC not working. I noticed a weird smell when I first went to see the car but wasn't sure if it was the engine or exhaust (burning rich?). Didn't notice any oil around the engine or ground either.

The service advisor went over the items listed above with me but didn't mention anything else. I requested to speak with the NSX tech afterwards and showed him the paint over sprays on certain parts of the car, and also the misaligned headlight covers and panels. So that's when he tells me he noticed some waviness on the surface of the passenger door. When I asked if there were any indications of frame damage, he said he didn't notice any but could do an alignment test to confirm. He also didn't notice the passenger door lock not operating properly with the key. I don't know how credible he is considering he didn't even notice the misaligned panels, paint oversprays and passenger door lock issue. I found posts here on Prime mentioning that a few members use(d) Acura West for servicing on their NSX, so I figured they would be alright.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. I feel like I just threw $194.93 + $35 gas driving there and back + 5 hours of work (I am backlogged on work now) into the toilet. I guess this would be a PPI horror story...

I got this lovely quote from them:
-passenger front marker bulb - $37.50
-rear brake rotors - $925.00
-passenger wiper blade $102.00
-aim washer nozzles - $57.50
tax +13%
total = $1267.86

The service and parts team also didn't know the NSX has 23 coolant hoses (they only found 9 on their computer system) and told me they should last the lifetime of the vehicle. They also couldn't even give me an estimated time for labour to perform the coolant hoses since they had never done one on any of the NSXs they service... haha...

/rant

Based on some searching and reading, I think the culprit might be the cam plugs (common), cam seals (common), valve covers, valve gaskets (common), crankshaft seals and/or vtec solenoids (common). The parts themselves don't seem that expensive but the labour sure is!

I guess the plus side is that the seller didn't get stranded driving 2 hours on the way there to the dealer.

Last edited:
Just to update this thread:

I bought the car and drove it 4 hours back to Toronto from Windsor. Temperature and oil pressure were good. Ride was comfortable and no weird creaks or handling issues. Not a single problem, besides me sweating buckets inside the car from the lack of AC.

This was my first time driving the NSX and I have to say the perspective from the passenger seat and driver seat is night and day difference!

Last edited:
besides me sweating buckets inside the car from the lack of AC.

I've redone my AC as after about 22 years the system loses it's integrity.
I replaced the compressor and dryer, converted to 134a with a Honda conversion kit, and had my CCU board rebuilt by briank.
Expensive but trouble free now.

Just some follow up comments with respect to your PPI list of stuff requiring repair.

- passenger wiper blade - Honda sells the rubber inserts for the blade as a replacement part. When you remove the blade be sure to retain the two steel reenforcements on the edge of the blade. You need them for the new insert. Its been a year since I did mine and can't remember the exact price; but, the cost of the insert was definitely less than $10.

- The washer nozzles are little steel balls with holes and they can be pivoted in the housing to aim them. They may be a little sticky at first; but, otherwise relatively easy to adjust. Don't use a pin to pivot the balls as the pin can go right through the nozzle and jam in the plastic in the back of the housing and break off (been there / done that). Use the blunt end of a #67 drill bit to stick in the hole. Its a perfect fit and the blunt end resists getting jammed in the housing.

Yes, labour costs are pretty steep at dealerships and the NSX is not exactly a super easy car to do maintenance on (a cooling system flush on an NSX takes a lot longer than it does on a Honda Pilot!). I have never done a marker bulb; but, I have replaced a signal light bulb. Not difficult; but, not a 5 minute job either, especially if the retaining screw for the housing is not cooperative in going back in. Given current shop rates $37 is within the realm of possibilities. The brake disk replacement cost does seem high unless they are including the cost of new pads with all parts at dealership prices. Rear disk & pad replacement is not particularly difficult; but, if you don't have a hoist it will chew up 3 - 4 hours by the time everything is buttoned back up. Reconnecting the parking brakes can be interesting (my experience).

Some US Acura parts discounters will not ship parts into Canada. Delray Acura will ship to Canada and I have had good results from them so far for OEM parts. I have heard that Teknotic is a Canadian vendor who can provide OEM parts at matching discounts. I have no experience with them; but, might be worth a try.

As a first step, purchase or otherwise acquire a service manual for your car. I have a genuine Honda manual for my 2000 and it is invaluable. Gives you a chance to plan out the work ahead of time and make sure you have the required tools and other 'stuff'.

Its good that your ride home was uneventful. I think the view down the front hood from the driver's seat is probably the best view in the automotive world, even when the car is stopped! Modifying a car is a personal choice; but, a clean unmodified NSX will get you plenty of thumbs up from anybody who knows what it is.

Lets hope that the rest of your ownership remains uneventful.

Last edited:
@JD Cross
AC is one of the last things on my list. I compiled a list of things into separate categories. 1. Immediate attention (things needed to pass safety etc.) 2. Intermediate attention (preventative maintenances) 3. Long term repairs (things that don't impact the safe operation of the car, aesthetics etc.)

@dablackgoku1234
Modding is a loooooooooong way ahead. Working on restoring the car to it's original glory atm.

@Old Guy
I actually took care of all the issues on the PPI already. I did purchase new Honda wiper inserts, however, I attempted to fix the issue by cleaning off the dirt on the edge of the blade and it worked! So I'll save the wiper inserts for next time.

The nozzles were tricky to adjust since I had to adjust and then go into the car to see the direction they were spraying. Luckily, my dad gave me a hand with it. I found this thread to be helpful: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/196583-Aiming-windshield-washer-nozzles

Yup, I found the service here on prime and started skimming through it a week or two before purchasing the car. Definitely helped out, but I found some things to be kind of vague. Maybe because I'm use to Ikea manuals that are dummy proof haha.

I rectified the passenger door lock issue (I think) on Saturday. However, I noticed yesterday that unlocking from the driver's side only unlocks the driver side door and doesn't unlock the passenger door. I can lock both doors from the driver's side, though. I can also lock and unlock both doors from the passenger side door. I remember testing the key on both sides and can't remember if it unlocked the passenger door from the driver's side. I was pretty eager to wrap things up after disassembling and assembling the door panel after 3-4 hours.

Is this normal?

I read from this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/184336-central-locking-question that this is normal. But, I remember reading in another thread that turning the key twice (or turn and hold for a few seconds) to unlock from the driver's side door should unlock the passenger door, too?

Last edited:
On my 91 I can open or lock both doors from the driver's side
From the pass side switch I can only lock/unlock the passenger side door.

I had trouble unlocking the pass side of the car using the key and setting off the alarm.(there's a TSB in the Wiki on this)
I took off the pass side door panel, cleaned and zip tied all the electrical connectors and the problem went away.

[MENTION=5905]JD Cross[/MENTION] My bad for not clarifying. I meant locking/unlocking with the ignition key.

I read on this page http://www.nsxprime.com/category/faq/ownership/ on the last part that:
Using the ignition key to:

1. -Lock drivers door locks both doors.
    -Unlock the drivers door unlocks it only.
    -Lock the passenger door locks both doors.
    -Unlock the passenger door unlocks both doors.

Back