• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID Conversion for flip up Headlights....

Another satisfied whiteNSXs (Steve) customer! Plug and play, zero issues after 2 years.

Me, too, after doing research on this helpful mod.

Have you ever considered converting to LED rather than HID. I converted both Hi & Lo beams to Mirimoto 2Stroke LED's. They are pretty amazing and no warm up time. There's a thread on installing them in the GEN 1 DYI
/http://www.morimotohid.com/

I just ordered a set today ......... based upon your recommendation. Would you please show the link to the DIY ?? Thanks :biggrin:

I just ordered a set today ......... based upon your recommendation. Would you please show the link to the DIY ?? Thanks :biggrin:
Make sure to read through the all the posts and photos by both Toyo and me. We were the first ones to install them so it was a work in progress with determining the best methods. Once we figured it out it turned out to be a very easy install. When I got around to installing the Hi beams it took me about 1.5 hours to do both lights. If you have any questions or need help let me know.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/197043-Morimoto-2-Stroke-LED-headlight-install-with-flip-up-headlights?highlight=morimoto

cvxAkat.jpg

a5uaUx1.jpg

LtPaNY7.jpg

I made a setup for my NSX. It's a true HID conversion down to bixenon projectors (quad) and clear lenses. We intend to make a kit available but there doesn't appear to be enough interest.

This is my buddy Jason's install of a DDM HID kit. I have the same 55 watt kit (along with external wiring harness). It's hard to beat in terms of price, installation ease, heat issues and overall light output. Cost of the kits range from $30-$90 depending on the options.
Check out the full install here:
http://petrol.jasonwoan.com/2012/01/03/ddm-tuning-nsx-hid-kit-install/

I have had Steve's (whiteNSXs) kit in the past. The instructions, build quality and HID components were top notch. What I drove me to change was the fact that he used a 35 watt HID kit. While this was better for plug and play (since no external wiring harness was needed), it came at the expense of overall brightness 3200 lumens vs 5000 lumens).

I've been watching LED technology closely and they're definitely close. What's kept me from LED retrofits in the past were the fact that LEDs are directional (notice the LEDs are mounted only one the top and bottom and not 360 degrees around the bulb? This has an effect on the beam pattern). They also generate a lot of heat, which requires a heat management system (some kits require fans or heat fins/radiators). Lastly the price has been significantly more (but this is dropping fast). Still the Morimoto kit mentioned is $150 vs a $40, 55w HID kit with roughly the same light output. We're almost there, maybe one more year!

Yes, I am still building them.
Steve

I ordered the 4300k low and high beam HID kit from Steve after going back and forth between LEDs and HIDs for a while. I thought I'd give the HIDs a try as I can always go LED if I don't like it.

I received the kit a few days ago and installed tonight. Steve does a kit that is truly plug and play, no drilling involoved. Instructions are clear. The install is not difficult at all. Took me about 2 1/2 hours including a break to read to my son. The color temperature is much closer to my Arc-Light LED bumper lights than stock, which is way yellow.

So far, happy with the product. Unfortunately, now it's time to store the car for the winter. :( At least I'll be able to see clearly while I'm driving to the storage location in the dark.....

I ordered the 4300k low and high beam HID kit from Steve after going back and forth between LEDs and HIDs for a while. The color temperature is much closer to my Arc-Light LED bumper lights than stock, which is way yellow.

I found the 4300 to be plenty bright and much better than the oem set-up.
I find the higher temperature (5000 etc) too bright and most annoying when you have an oncoming car with them.
A lot of driver's seem to think the higher the temp rating the more powerful the lights are for some reason.

[MENTION=5905]JD Cross[/MENTION] I agree with you in that the 4300 kit is plenty bright for my very humble needs. I'm very pleased with it. I sure could have used this kit on my drive back from NSXPO a few weeks ago....those West Virginia mountains create some really, really dark spaces at night. I'm simply glad to be rid of the stock, yellow, rather dim, lights.

I found the 4300 to be plenty bright and much better than the oem set-up.
I find the higher temperature (5000 etc) too bright and most annoying when you have an oncoming car with them.
A lot of driver's seem to think the higher the temp rating the more powerful the lights are for some reason.

4300K refers to the color temperature of the light. The numbers come from ideal black bodys and the temperatures that correspond to their light color they produce (basically they come from stars, and the temperature a star is and the color of light it produces).

4300-5000k produce the most light in HID applications in terms of lumens. 6000k and above have reduced light output, primarily because the bulb needs to be coated to generate the higher temperature colors (also the color is shifted).
The "perceived" brightness of higher temperature is probably because 6000k and above are very bluish in tint which is a higher frequency/shorter wavelength of light which human eyes are more sensitive to.

I have 5000k HIDs on most of my cars because it's most purely white in color. I have 6000k on the NSX for the "exotic" look.
Keep in mind the 6000k and above perform horribly in the rain and fog. All you get is glare due to the shortwave length. I know, not just from the science, but also the experience.

The bigger determination in brightness will come from going 35watt HID ballasts to 55watt HID ballasts. 35watt HID produces around 3200 lumens vs the 55watt's 5000 lumens.

@Arc-Light, Your lights look awesome! Can you let us know what you did to make these?

My "Steve" setup is starting fail my aging eyes, ARC looks like a nice replacement, or any other 55w setup someone can recommend?

Bump for Steve...we miss your sense of humor aka Dry wit :cool:.....Hope you are well..

Back