• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brakes - what pads are you running?

Wasn't sure where to post this since there isn't a subforum for brakes...

What pads are you guys running on the street? Last year, I swapped for a set of StopTech Street Performance pads up front, OEM pads in the rear and honestly I'm not a huge fan. They have decent feel and generate almost zero brake dust, but they don't have the bite that I'd hope for. I'm currently using OEM brake lines (was waiting to upgrade to StopTech BBK down the road) and Motul RBF600 fluid.

I'm thinking of switching to Hawk HP+ pads. I want to run the most aggressive pads with minimal squeak (a little brake dust is fine since I clean my car almost weekly). Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I really like the EBC Yellows on our stock '92, nice bite when cold and a little more in reserve in case you ever want to do a DE or something.

Low on noise and dust, too!

Brian

I run hawk hp pads up front. Very little dust and zero noise. Good bite. Slightly less if not warmed up.

Porterfield R4S & Carbotech AX6. Great street characteristics and hold up very well to heavy track use. They do dust a bit (AX6 more than R4S).

porterfield must have changed the compound of the r4s.....They where crumbled to bits from new before the end of day 2 at the glen but that was 10 years ago.

XP10 and XP8 for track and AX6 and oem rears for street/if i'm not too lazy.

I ran them 10 years ago on my track miata and have them on my NSX 5-6 years ago with no issues?

hmmm maybe my middle leg was resting on the pedal...:wink::eek:

Bumping this for an answer on squeal.

I think I'll be ordering pads sometime this week - debating between Hawk HP+ and Carbotech AX6s. For the AX6s, I don't mind a little squeal/noise if they perform noticeably better than the HP+. But ultimately, my NSX is a street driven car so the less noise the better for me. Again, dusting is a non-issue since I wash the car so often.

I just put HP+ on with new rotors, no backing plates or lube and no squealing. Also stops great! But, I did the same on my Audi and it squeals like a stuck pig. My guess is I didn't tighten the pad holders enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried posting but it took too long an d I got kicked off. So the short version.

Brakes are made to a specific type of job. Try to match the pad material to your use. Using a pad designed for slowing a 500 HP NSX is not a good match for a light daily driver.

Also make sure hardware is in good shape - pad shims, springs, etc. Finally use any other coatings recommended ("Mollycote 77") These are used to stop vibration which leads to noises (squeal).

Good luck

Kyle

Any more guys running Yellow Stuff?

My car will be around the 500bhp mark and get very occasional track use, so i need to bare that in mind.

I have Stop Tech big break kit up front, i'm going to run with their street pads when i initially install them, but for future reference if i want to replace the pad, when i'm looking up on pad sites how do i pick stop tech sizes when they list cars?

the pound has crashed, i was going to try the AX8 or XP10 but they are just too much at the moment, might stick with yellow stuff on the oem rears.

Back