• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Waterless wash in a bottle?

Hi Guys...

I have noticed recently that there are these waterless wash in a bottle type products where you don't actually wash your car the normal way anymore but instead just spray and wipe. It looks almost like using quick detailer on your car without washing it first. Has anyone actually tried this stuff? What's your opinion? It seems like it would be bad as the dust would cause scratches as it's being wiped off, but the product advertisements say that won't happen. I never drive my NSX in the rain so it only ever gets covered with dust. Just wondering if this is a good way to keep the car clean, or just stick with traditional wash and wax? Any opinions?

These products work well on cars with light dust or road film. They are great for areas that have water use restrictions or when you are traveling away from home for quick clean ups. They work well on all surfaces including glass to remove debris. The keys are to thoroughly wet the panel you wish to clean and have plenty of MF towels to clean. I've used the Pinnacle product with Carnuba concentrate with excellent results. Here's a link to Waterless Wash usage which will explain the cleaning process in depth.

http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-use-waterless-wash.html

Exactly what vanishing point said.

You have to be really careful using these types of products and use the correct method with patience. It is not for the lazy.

I use some of the stuff as a substitute for a quick detailer. The stuff I have also works well as a lubricant for a clay bar. If the car has a uniform light coating of dust I prefer to use a California Duster. I would not use the waterless wash or the duster as a substitute for a conventional two bucket wash if the car had dirt that was adhering to the body.

Exactly what vanishing point said.

You have to be really careful using these types of products and use the correct method with patience. It is not for the lazy.

In a way, I was hoping to use this stuff over a normal 2 bucket wash to save time and effort... Aka I'm lazy! Are you saying waterless washes aren't any easier than a normal wash?

I know where you are coming from. It definitely is much easier than a normal wash but you have to focus on how dirty your car actually is and your application process. If you don't do it right, it will mar your paint overtime and wouldn't be worth the time you saved over traditional washes.

What I mean by lazy is spraying on the waterless wash and wiping away as if it will magically clean your car and not scratch the finish.

I've used ONR Wash with good results. All you need is a bucket of water and a clean sponge.

I use Optimum No Rinse quite often, especially on my sunny day weekend cars. When daily driven cars need a good cleaning I carefully use a pressure washer, buckets, grit guards, car soap, Master Blaster etc. I almost always use ONR on the upper parts of the NSX as the targa top stays off for most of the summer and I am also very careful to keep water from getting into the vent and onto the rear coil packs. I also use a Carbrella all the time, another reason the roof can stay off the car most of the time. If there is anything more than than light dirt on the sides of the car and especially wheels and tires, I'll use the buckets, wash mitts and soap.

ONR is great for road trips too. I just used it yesterday, as we have been cruising around Rhode Island, Boston, New Hampshire, and Maine. (haven't spotted any of you guys on the roads with your NSX's though!):frown: You folks can thank me later for any of the much needed rain that will undoubtedly show up now that the Accord is spotless!

Last edited:
I know where you are coming from. It definitely is much easier than a normal wash but you have to focus on how dirty your car actually is and your application process. If you don't do it right, it will mar your paint overtime and wouldn't be worth the time you saved over traditional washes.

What I mean by lazy is spraying on the waterless wash and wiping away as if it will magically clean your car and not scratch the finish.

I mean the exact same thing as far as laziness! My NSX is only a SUNNY weekend car in the Pacific Northwest, so it is not out often and will never see rain. But over time, a coating of dust covers the entire surface, more in the lower parts than the top obviously. I'm trying to decide whether to routinely use a waterless wash or to just let it build up and do a regular wash. In other words, waterless every 2 weeks vs just let the dust build up and maybe do a regular wash every 2 months or so? Over time, which would be less work for me and which would scratch the paint the LEAST?

The dream of just spraying and wiping and never having to do a 2 bucket wash and drying and using a quick detailer (all of this done with one simple waterless wash) sounded too good. In my world, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But I was hoping...

The waterless wash is that good, I prefer to keep a thin coat of Carnuba as a protective (sacrificial) coat on my NSX, which my choice of waterless wash
offers. To reduce the chance of scratches/marring you will need at least 8 high quality MF cloths to wipe the car and then lightly dry the panels. You want the softest/deepest pile MF cloths possible, folded properly you have at least four surfaces to use before discarding it for a clean one. No pressure is applied to the cars surface, allow the MF to lift the dirt/dust while the high lubricity of the wash protects the surface. You must use a dedicated MF wash soap to clean your cloths, regular soap has perfumes which clog the fibers of MF cloths and makes them less absorbent. When drying MF, do not use a dryer sheet, they also have perfumes which degrade the MF effectiveness.

Once your car is clean, apply a quick detailer that is anti static, dust will not stick to the cars surface and is easily removed or simply blows off as the car is driven. My go to QD is a product called Kenotek Showroom Shine. If you have a car cover (clean and dust free) put it on your car and then add a disposable plastic car sheeting cover. This will keep the dust off your fabric car cover and your NSX will remain clean.

The waterless wash is that good, I prefer to keep a thin coat of Carnuba as a protective (sacrificial) coat on my NSX, which my choice of waterless wash
offers. To reduce the chance of scratches/marring you will need at least 8 high quality MF cloths to wipe the car and then lightly dry the panels. You want the softest/deepest pile MF cloths possible, folded properly you have at least four surfaces to use before discarding it for a clean one. No pressure is applied to the cars surface, allow the MF to lift the dirt/dust while the high lubricity of the wash protects the surface. You must use a dedicated MF wash soap to clean your cloths, regular soap has perfumes which clog the fibers of MF cloths and makes them less absorbent. When drying MF, do not use a dryer sheet, they also have perfumes which degrade the MF effectiveness.

Once your car is clean, apply a quick detailer that is anti static, dust will not stick to the cars surface and is easily removed or simply blows off as the car is driven. My go to QD is a product called Kenotek Showroom Shine. If you have a car cover (clean and dust free) put it on your car and then add a disposable plastic car sheeting cover. This will keep the dust off your fabric car cover and your NSX will remain clean.

What carnuba wax do you use? I used to swear by turtle wax hard shell carnuba. But I purchased Meguires gold class wax a few weekends ago and paired with my 10" Craftsman orbital buffer, I was amazed how good the finish looked. Very professional. I have also tried the black ice wax and it was a nightmare as it would not freaking dry! I let the gold class wax sit on for 90 minutes before removal. Makes me want to apply another good coat. Love to hear what the pro's use.

I mean the exact same thing as far as laziness! My NSX is only a SUNNY weekend car in the Pacific Northwest, so it is not out often and will never see rain. But over time, a coating of dust covers the entire surface, more in the lower parts than the top obviously. I'm trying to decide whether to routinely use a waterless wash or to just let it build up and do a regular wash. In other words, waterless every 2 weeks vs just let the dust build up and maybe do a regular wash every 2 months or so? Over time, which would be less work for me and which would scratch the paint the LEAST?

The dream of just spraying and wiping and never having to do a 2 bucket wash and drying and using a quick detailer (all of this done with one simple waterless wash) sounded too good. In my world, when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But I was hoping...

If it light dust, you will be fine. I usually use waterless wash for those light dust situations and I want to take the car out to a meet or get together. Otherwise I just let it sit and let the dust build up and wash it.

It's a great product if used right.

- - - Updated - - -

What carnuba wax do you use? I used to swear by turtle wax hard shell carnuba. But I purchased Meguires gold class wax a few weekends ago and paired with my 10" Craftsman orbital buffer, I was amazed how good the finish looked. Very professional. I have also tried the black ice wax and it was a nightmare as it would not freaking dry! I let the gold class wax sit on for 90 minutes before removal. Makes me want to apply another good coat. Love to hear what the pro's use.

Gold class is a good one, especially on black. It doesn't seem to last very long in my experience.

I've been using chemical guys products lately. Black light glaze and then top it off with jet seal sealant. It's produces great results with little effort.

There are definitely better products out there, more niche products, and like most things, are very subjective from user to user.

Meguairs NXT 2.0 is also a great all in one that I like to use when looking for a quick finish.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-SW2008P-Car-Wax-oz/dp/B00GG9FI8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470099106&sr=8-1&keywords=optimum+spray+wax

this is one of the best spray waxes I have used. I like to use it when I'm lazy but just finished washing the car.

The Carnuba is within the waterless wash which adds to the lubricity of the liquid. I use this: Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash concentrate with Carnuba. For those using a paste Carnuba try this trick, before applying the wax to your pad lightly mist your foam or MF pad with a quality quick detailer. This will help even out your wax application, in fact you should find that your wax now goes farther and makes for a thinner coat as well. Remember that humidity and car paint temp. can also affect how your wax goes on and comes off. [h=1][/h]

The Carnuba is within the waterless wash which adds to the lubricity of the liquid. I use this: Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash concentrate with Carnuba. For those using a paste Carnuba try this trick, before applying the wax to your pad lightly mist your foam or MF pad with a quality quick detailer. This will help even out your wax application, in fact you should find that your wax now goes farther and makes for a thinner coat as well. Remember that humidity and car paint temp. can also affect how your wax goes on and comes off. [h=1][/h]
Good idea. I use my 10" orbital buffer to apply the wax, then switch to a polishing pad for removal. You need "heat" in my opinion. Otherwise all those swirls and spider webs remain. Anymore tips I am all ears.

I used OPT waterless wash several times. I found it the light dust means carshow type of dust laying on the body. If you take it out, drive for a day, come back and want to use these waterless wash, I would not. At least not in socal.
Plus these waterless wash product require you to wet the body as much as you can with spray bottle of water. It's hard and hassle. I end up went back to regular two bucket car wash. I just use the OPT waterless wash liquid as my clay lubricate now.

I use ONR mixed down with distilled water for claybar lube and also for light dust removal.
Otherwise foam spray with two bucket system

I use ONR and follow up with Zaino Z7 spray. My NSX is never that dirty, so I use it without a prerinse. On my daily driver, with lots of salt/muck on it, I prerinse it to break up the dirt, then ONR it. Works fine.

Back