• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBSC - pros/cons?

How come nobody here has commented on how much of a pain in the ass it is to reach your engine oil cap and reroute your fuse box running this kit? Or how so many dozens of motors blew up running these kits? Just seems odd that nobody talks about the cons? Especially buying bearings and spider gears, I heard those run about 500 bucks?

As I am about to put a BBSC kit on my car, I don't really see these as deal breakers. Yes a pain in the ass, but how often are you getting into your fuse box? I have had my car almost 3 years now and I haven't accessed it once. And oil changes are what 2-3 times a year depending on mileage? You can make it work with an angled funnel neck or hose. Also, I think I recall some people just fill the crankcase from other locations that are more accessible.

You are right about the motors blowing up. Yea, I read a bunch of those threads. But those were all before proper engine management when they were using the homemade split second box. I don't think its any more dangerous than any other kit now with proper engine management. I will be running a piggyback AEM FIC on mine.

Bearings and spider gears are definitely not $500. Yikes! I definitely would not be doing this kit if the wearables were that much. I just bought all new bearings and spider gears for cheap. Replace as needed. I think most people stress out because you can't go to a single website and buy everything you need. But its not difficult to source everything. As far as consumables/wearables you only have:
Carrier Bearings (upgraded to sealed for $15 per, needed 3)
End pulley bearing ($10 needed 1)
Spider gear ($25, needed 1)
Gatorback belt (still need to buy this...maybe $15-25?)

My bbsc was a lot more fun to drive than my ctsc, but fuel management wasn't good back then.:(

I hope that is the case because I was looking for something different and I love the way the kit looks. Agreed, thats why I will run an AEM FIC.

As I am about to put a BBSC kit on my car, I don't really see these as deal breakers. Yes a pain in the ass, but how often are you getting into your fuse box? I have had my car almost 3 years now and I haven't accessed it once. And oil changes are what 2-3 times a year depending on mileage? You can make it work with an angled funnel neck or hose. Also, I think I recall some people just fill the crankcase from other locations that are more accessible.

You are right about the motors blowing up. Yea, I read a bunch of those threads. But those were all before proper engine management when they were using the homemade split second box. I don't think its any more dangerous than any other kit now with proper engine management. I will be running a piggyback AEM FIC on mine.

Bearings and spider gears are definitely not $500. Yikes! I definitely would not be doing this kit if the wearables were that much. I just bought all new bearings and spider gears for cheap. Replace as needed. I think most people stress out because you can't go to a single website and buy everything you need. But its not difficult to source everything. As far as consumables/wearables you only have:
Carrier Bearings (upgraded to sealed for $15 per, needed 3)
End pulley bearing ($10 needed 1)
Spider gear ($25, needed 1)
Gatorback belt (still need to buy this...maybe $15-25?)

I hope that is the case because I was looking for something different and I love the way the kit looks. Agreed, thats why I will run an AEM FIC.
Good to know Tex, I hope it gives you excellent results and you enjoy it.

[MENTION=31071]texmorales[/MENTION], have you installed the kit yet?

[MENTION=31071]texmorales[/MENTION], have you installed the kit yet?
Some many other side projects, just wasn't able to get to it yet. However the goal is before NSXPO. I will add some updates to my build thread.

Back