• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.
I've had drivers side rear bearing issues twice now. The passenger side had yet to fail. Most track time is going counterclockwise for me. I've got 2,113 track/street miles, mostly track out of the Timken bearing assembly. Each rear wheel has two bearings, each is a NTN HUB098-13. Also I'm wondering if the OEM bearing from Acura is the NTN HUB098-13, or if someone knows on the forum. I replaced both the drivers side bearing and the hub assembly where the studs are mounted, as the hub assembly w/studs was worn out due to the bearing not turning freely. The passenger side was okay, but I replaced the bearing assembly anyways. I've never had any problem with the passenger side to date with either the original bearing or the 2nd one I installed. I spoke to NTN engineering today, as I was looking for a better bearing and he said there have been two revisions since the NTN HUB098-13. There was a 14 and now a 17. The number is HUB098-17 for the latest revision. Has anyone had any experience with the 17? NTN's after market bearing assembly is sold as a BCA product. The NTN engineer spoke to marketing and they have agreed to provide me with a new BCA assembly. I will provide more info as it is available.

Thanks,
3gGT

Mine broke at last trackday after 6 kmiles at the track with slick tires. I ordered a SKF.

Asylum, please take a look at the part number of the bearing when you receive your SFK. I believe SFK uses the NTN bearing. It will be interesting to see which NTN revision of the bearing you receive from SFK and see how well it holds up. I'm running the Nitto NT01 275/35ZR18 on the rear with a light weight WedsSport rim.

Thanks,
3gGT

Whew, and I thought I was the only person wearing through left-rear bearings every 3rd event or so. Quick question: What's the state of your rear ball joints? I discovered, in the process of trying to figure out why I kept munching bearings, that the ball joints had play in them as well and had some suspicion they could have exacerbated the bearing wear.

In my case, I'd done a number of events on the OEM Honda bearing (~5+?) and then I ended up replacing it after ruining the bearing while trying to remove the hub to replace a broken wheel stud (don't ask...car has near 260k miles and God only knows who did any work on the car before I bought it). Since then, I haven't been able to get a left-rear bearing to last more than 2-4 events on either street tires or semi-slicks. XPO this year will probably be event #3 or 4 (I'd have to go look) on this current bearing, so we'll see...

Commiseration aside, are they providing the bearing assembly as we know it (with the flange that bolts to the knuckle) or just the bearing itself (inner/outer race pre-greased)?

Brain-dump: I've also speculated, based on other racer advice, that the grease may be the issue in the Timken/old model units as opposed to the bearings itself, and have thought about getting a cheap-o from the internet, and seeing how feasible it might be to pop the seals and replace the grease with something heavier-duty).

Anyway, good luck and I've subscribed in case you solve it!

Asylum, please take a look at the part number of the bearing when you receive your SFK. I believe SFK uses the NTN bearing. It will be interesting to see which NTN revision of the bearing you receive from SFK and see how well it holds up. I'm running the Nitto NT01 275/35ZR18 on the rear with a light weight WedsSport rim.

Thanks,
3gGT

I received the part. The bearings are NTN HUB098-13.

My apologies, I had to update my email address. I didn't know you guys had replied to my thread.

NTN is going to send me two new bearings. I'm assuming it will be the two bearings for one side only and not the hub assembly as you normally buy. I gave them my address this week, so hopefully they are on there way.
I believe they will be the NTN HUB098-17 revision. Engineering says the revision 17 has a difference bearing carrier. I will ask the engineer for more info regarding revision 17.

I will be checking my rear ball joints for play, in case that is causing issues.

Thanks,
~3gGT

I did receive my rear bearings/hubs from NTN. They are the normal NTN HUB098-13 revision bearing not the 17 revision. The hub assembly is made by NTN instead of Timken, but both used the same NTN bearing/part number.
CarQuest was able to look up the original OEM bearing used on the 92 NSX and it is: SKF GRW233 {#42300SL0008} Wheel Hub Bearing
You can get them from RockAuto for $142.79 each.

I'll see how the new NTN bearing holds up.
~3gGT

Back