• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Routine service costs?

On 911 (991) Porsches, dealer oil changes approach $300...how about the NSX?

Well, it needs 8 liters of 0W-40, which is about $10/liter in local parts shops-- perhaps less if you mail order in bulk. So ~$75 plus a filter at maybe $20-- call it $100 in materials. So DIY for $50 would be tough. I suspect $250-$300 at dealer is about right. But, with mild driving that would be once every 15K miles, so not really significant. I would worry more about the dealer cost for other fluids and especially pads and rotors (for the mandatory carbons) under hard driving....

Along with that - question for owners - have the insurance companies decided what the new NSX is going to cost to cover in your market?

I got a preliminary quote of $2364/year. Not horrible, IMHO, given the uncertainty around repair costs. That's about 2X what I pay for my C7 Z06 (same coverage details).

A few months ago my dealers trained tech said oil change is a multi hour (~4+) job. Several panels need to be removed to access multiple drain plugs. I can't recall but think he said 7 drain points... So I can only assume there is not one common low point at pan. I hoping I can still DYI when on a lift. I guess a bigger question might be for those of us who can and wish DYI, can we w/o voiding warranty... if Acura decides they want to control such parameters. Something early owners should ask about when taking delivery?!

A few months ago my dealers trained tech said oil change is a multi hour (~4+) job. Several panels need to be removed to access multiple drain plugs. I can't recall but think he said 7 drain points... So I can only assume there is not one common low point at pan. I hoping I can still DYI when on a lift. I guess a bigger question might be for those of us who can and wish DYI, can we w/o voiding warranty... if Acura decides they want to control such parameters. Something early owners should ask about when taking delivery?!

That surprises me. Of course, I know nothing about dry-sump engine design, so my surprise isn't surprising. Heh. Anyway, I would have expected a single, easily accessible drain point from the oil tank - obviously some old oil would be left behind in the pan, but some old oil is always left behind anyway. A single drain from the tank would have made oil changes significantly more simple. If there really are seven drain points, that seven possibilities for a stripped or over-tightened drain bolt per oil change. :eek:

The owner's manual states the following: (No mention about warranty issues if you do it yourself, though.)
Specialized equipment and procedures are required to change the engine oil and oil
filter. Have an authorized Acura NSX dealer replace them.

Do not attempt to change the engine oil and oil filter yourself.

Generic dry-sump system image for reference.
38721drysumpgif_00000012655.gif

I'd not be surprised if a small servicing on the car by the dealer costs around $1000. This car is not meant to be a DIY car. Due to the complexity of the car I'd certainly avoid second hand cars not being serviced by the dealer. Outside of the US servicing will be even more.

Not sure what a "serving" includes besides oil/filter, but I really really doubt that they would charge $1000 for an oil change. The simple reason is that this is the kind of factoid that turns people off to the car and attracts ridicule in press / social media. That is why BMW and other brands include "free scheduled maintenance" bundled into the purchase price--- they don't want you to focus on the cost of these items.

But, more fundamentally, I agree with you that this will be an expensive car to maintain as soon as you get into anything more complicated than oil. Including consumables like pads/rotors/fluids.

Pretty sure the manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you DIY or have an independent mechanic do the routine servicing. In this case, a vacuum oil extractor might be very useful in draining the oil tank, and might simplify the oil change procedure.

It doesn't look like there will be an actual FSM for this car, just what is online.

Not sure what a "serving" includes besides oil/filter, but I really really doubt that they would charge $1000 for an oil change. The simple reason is that this is the kind of factoid that turns people off to the car and attracts ridicule in press / social media. That is why BMW and other brands include "free scheduled maintenance" bundled into the purchase price--- they don't want you to focus on the cost of these items.
Let's guess they have 5 hours x $100 plus oil you are at $600-700. A small maintainance (10k?) of such a fast car will go further than a Civic where you only change the oil. A big maintainance (every 20k?) will add even more costs. Nothing wrong with that. A guy buying a $200k car can cope with that and shouldn't be cheap also to DIY just because the dealer charges 'too much'. Acura/Honda won't disappoint you I'm pretty sure.
US is the country of DIY, God bless it (and the internet) :), but in the rest of the world warranty is void if you DIY.
With or without "free scheduled maintenance" you pay it either way. The trick here is to include cheap things like oil, filter and air in your tires but excluding wearable items like brakes which are priced expensive my the manufacturer then.

Not sure what a "serving" includes besides oil/filter

Service schedule is mostly determined by the car itself, rather than the traditional "Do X at # miles" chart.
There are two main maintenance items:

A ● Replace engine oil
and
B ● Replace engine oil and oil filter
● Inspect front and rear brakes
● Check expiration date for temporary tire repair kit bottle
● Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
● Inspect suspension components
● Inspect driveshaft boots
● Inspect brake hoses and lines (Including ABS/VSA)
● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Inspect exhaust system
● Inspect fuel lines and connections
● Inspect direct injection + port injection fuel system

There are six possible sub items:

1 ● Inspect tire condition
2 ● Replace air cleaner element
● Replace dust and pollen filters
3 ● Replace transmission fluid
● Replace clutch fluid
4 ● Replace spark plugs
● Inspect valve clearance
● Inspect Active Exhaust Valve function
● Replace Intake Sound Control
5 ● Replace engine coolant
6 ● Replace Twin Motor Unit fluid

There are a few time- and mileage-based items.

• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.
• Inspect direct injection + port injection fuel system every 3 years or service item B is indicated.
• Inspect tire condition every 3,100 miles (5,000 km).

I would guess that sub items 3 and 4 will be quite expensive.

I was at my dealers yesterday and spoke with the NSX trained tech again on some things. He confirmed that due to engine layout/location/height, and dry sump, there a total of 7 oil drain plugs to deal with for oil change. But he said panel removals for access isn't too bad, especially since I have lift(s). He also said the oil filter can be a little tricky ( for spillage...on engine), but there may be a tool or DYI way to deal with that. To access the oil filter you remove a panel in the trunk and have to reach in at an angle to get to it. As such, removing it w/o spilling becomes an art form w/o any trick tool or containment device. He thinks there will be/is an inexpensive device available for us to buy to aid in that , or some of use DYI's will figure out our own means/aid.

I am trying to decide which dealer to use for service

i spoke with the NSX service rep at one store and he was very honest with me

the training the tech received was not hands on and they will be flying by the seat of their pants for a while as the first few cars come in

...NSX service rep at one store and he was very honest with me the training the tech received was not hands on and they will be flying by the seat of their pants for a while as the first few cars come in

This comment gave me a PTSD flash-back to 2005( 2004?) I had an early E60 M5 with the then-new dry sump V10 engine. The manual called for gentle break in to 1500 miles (IIRC), followed by oil change and only then were you safe to flog it to the glorious 8250 redline. At 1500 on the nose, I got oil changed while I waited and proceeded directly to some lonely roads. I did just a couple of hard runs (for science)-- first time to feel WOT redline shifts in the beast (most violent shifts ever) . It was awesome. And then the dash lit up like a christmas tree. Oil low. Overheat warning. Stop driving immediately. Smoke coming from under hood. Not fun. Flat bed to dealer and a couple days later they said "Oops. I guess they have a new kind of seal on the oil filter and the tech over or under torqued it. O-ring blew out and the pumps sprayed oil until empty.." New car ownership experience was cut short. Huge bummer.

Moral of story: Try not to be the first guy in for service and, if you are, let them keep car overnight: tell them to take their time---triple check everything......

Last edited:
We have some parallel thinking

the dealer is the one who is supposed to get the most NSXs in Chicagoland

they are slated to get the first one in the area. He said it was supposed to arrive in August and now he is hearing september

the way things are going my car won't show till turkey day

to your point, my tactic is to not be the first car their $150,000 investment in tools alone will come in contact with

Just wondering (and calculating) how many dealers had to invest that amount.

There are 253 dealers in the program

they had a combo of costs

shop equipment as mentioned above
travel/ training for at least a tech, service advisor and sales person. I believe the tech travelled multiple times

sowroom stuff like the cabinet with flat screen and keyboard to do configurations

some dealers had to upgrade their show room

The sunk costs are some of the drivers toward market adjustments (greed first)

i would say that his level of excitement/enthusiasm about the car was shockingly high. He did the training at the PMC with track time. He said they were encouraged to thrash the cars. They started with the 911 turbo and then did the NSX. His assessment is it takes a really skilled driver to get the most out of the 911 where the NSX feels like it adapts to the driver and is really easy to drive fast

i told him I would like to sit in one and he said he would call me when they get the first one in. He also said we could do lunch and he would invite the zone rep so I can rip him about the program

he said the only thing he would add to the car are grab handles to make it easier to get out, noting how low to the ground you will be sitting

SEVEN drain points. That is crazy! My Ferrari with dry sump lubrication has 2. As others mentioned so many points increases the risk of damage to the engine or underside of the engine from stripped bolts, etc.

I had a nice conversation with my service rep at my local Acura dealership. He let me thumb through the booklet that was given to them during their initial training course. The new NSX has underbody panels similar to what Ferrari has been using since the 360's (that I can remember). So there are a number of fasteners to remove to gain access to the underbody components. That alone can result in a 2+ hour process for there are a lot of fasteners. I can't recall the number of drain points listed in the booklet, but seven seems out of line. I can see that there are that many for the coolant but not the oil. I plan to visit those guys again soon and will inquire.

Someone has mentioned that the oil change could be messier for the filter is in an upright position on the top of the engine. Ferrari places the oil filter in the upright position on their engines similar to what the new NSX appears to have. Upon removal of the Ferrari oil filter, it is surprisingly much less messy than on the NSX or any Honda for that matter. It seems much of the oil is drained out of the filter before you remove it when it placed in such a position. I would assume that the new NSX is not different.

I doubt DIY service would void warranty, but will hurt resale. Pay for dealer service, short term pain for long term gain. My Huracan was $1900 for first year service. Gotta pay to play.

I am trying to decide which dealer to use for service

i spoke with the NSX service rep at one store and he was very honest with me

the training the tech received was not hands on and they will be flying by the seat of their pants for a while as the first few cars come in

This is 100% not true.

Every dealer had to send their one selected master technician to Torrance for actual hands on training, in addition to several online training modules, in order to be able to sell and service the new NSX.

- - - Updated - - -

There are 253 dealers in the program

they had a combo of costs

shop equipment as mentioned above
travel/ training for at least a tech, service advisor and sales person. I believe the tech travelled multiple times

sowroom stuff like the cabinet with flat screen and keyboard to do configurations

some dealers had to upgrade their show room

After it's all said and done, most dealers have shelled out enough money to just about buy one of the cars. That "cabinet" in the showroom cost $20k if you can believe that.

Back