• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Routine service costs?

It will be awhile before I'm due if based on computer monitored miles. However, I'd probably do sooner (maybe like Chrisn did) but would really like to do it myself. At delivery the tech did a brief rundown of what was needed while car was on the lift for preps and checks. He indicated he felt I could do it. Yes it is quite involved, but on a lift, with suitable tools (for panel removals etc.) and if not in a rush there is no reason it can't be DYI. There were a few tricks he mentioned (mostly forgotten now) so I'd go over it with him in detail before actually doing the work... "IF" I chose to do it that is.
I've done all my GT-R ones including the 1'st. Oil was no issue at all, but the filter is another story. (What were they thinking?!). That was pain but the tech taught me some tricks. Those tricks made it much easier since I didn't have to remove so many interlocking panels which start at the FR wheel well liner working in to just get to the filter.
Of course the multiple drain points (7 I recall) and panel removals to access them on the NSX will make it be significantly more involved. So I'll say it will be engaging? I I believe the NSX filter is actually quite easy and accessed via forward trunk panel removal. So controlling spillage when changing needs attention (and maybe some trick collection/retention gadget/tool).
If anyone chooses the DYI route in near future, feedback would obviously be welcome.

Counter point

i believe dealerships kind of price oil and filter changes low to encourage folks to keep coming in

Ding ding ding. I assume that's the situation here. Service manager is an enthusiast (met him at a Cars & Coffee before I took car there). And Gen 2 NSX oil changes are never going to be high enough volume business to impact profit margins. And I doubt they are *losing* money at this pricing.
[MENTION=33024]MasterNSXTech[/MENTION]: what do you think "normal" pricing should be?

Well, if anyone is interested, I've downloaded instructions on performing an oil and filter change. It really doesn't look too difficult. I've dealt with splash shields on other cars, and they just take a bit of time to remove the fasteners. Not a big deal at all.

I don't think I'd be allowed to upload the instructions, but if anyone wants a copy you can email me.

i believe dealerships kind of price oil and filter changes low to encourage folks to keep coming in

My oil change/A1/B16/whatever prices are competitive. The oil change is almost a loss leader. I break even with those because if someone brings their MDX in for just an oil change, it goes to my accelerated service shop.

Ding ding ding. I assume that's the situation here. Service manager is an enthusiast (met him at a Cars & Coffee before I took car there). And Gen 2 NSX oil changes are never going to be high enough volume business to impact profit margins. And I doubt they are *losing* money at this pricing.
@MasterNSXTech: what do you think "normal" pricing should be?

They probably are losing money at that price. What isn't going to happen when a NSX comes in for service, is it going to the accelrated service shop where it's pretty much very inexperienced kids working there. It has to be the NSX certified tech, probably the highest paid technician in the shop, who does the work. See where I'm going here? At Oakland, I'm going to guess that there NSX tech (with bennies factored in) pulls down something like $45/hr. If he did it right, he probably took 2.5 hours to do your oil change. So almost $120 in labor cost alone, plus another ~$80 in parts cost, then the cost of paying the service writer's comp on the ticket, then all the other overhead....meh. $340 isn't enough. I'd be in the low $500 range if I was that dealer.

Well, if anyone is interested, I've downloaded instructions on performing an oil and filter change. It really doesn't look too difficult. I've dealt with splash shields on other cars, and they just take a bit of time to remove the fasteners. Not a big deal at all.

I don't think I'd be allowed to upload the instructions, but if anyone wants a copy you can email me.

I'd
like a copy

The sales manager had the nsx service tech get the pricing for me. It was printed and priced. Im not sure why you would think its a joke. But in anycase, these were the prices they gave me because I didnt want to jump into ownership blindly.
lc

"Well, if anyone is interested, I've downloaded instructions on performing an oil and filter change. It really doesn't look too difficult. I've dealt with splash shields on other cars, and they just take a bit of time to remove the fasteners. Not a big deal at all.

I don't think I'd be allowed to upload the instructions, but if anyone wants a copy you can email me."

Hi Olyar15. i think I may be too short a time on NSXPrime to be able to PM. Wondered if I could take you up on your offer of sending along a copy of the oil change instructions for the Gen2 NSX. Thank you for even making the offer. My e-mail is: [email protected] -Scott

My oil change/A1/B16/whatever prices are competitive. The oil change is almost a loss leader.

? At Oakland, I'm going to guess that there NSX tech (with bennies factored in) pulls down something like $45/hr. If he did it right, he probably took 2.5 hours to do your oil change. So almost $120 in labor cost alone, plus another ~$80 in parts cost, then the cost of paying the service writer's comp on the ticket, then all the other overhead....meh. $340 isn't enough. I'd be in the low $500 range if I was that dealer.

Im booked at my dealer here in NoVa for my 10,000 mile maintenance. The total cost (including oil change) is $500.00.

what happened to gadgetman? don't see him posting....FB maybe:frown:

My first oil change after owning 22 months and 2800 miles...... $389 all in, which I think is reasonable for what has to be done. Fisher Acura in Boulder, CO, just a few miles from my house. I'm sure I could figure out how to do it myself, but with an engine that some think is worth $50-75K, I think it is good insurance for the warranty work if something ever went wrong. If you changed your own oil and blew the engine up, I'd be concerned that Acura would (or could) use that against you when you asked for a brand new engine..... Seems worth that to me not to worry about it......

My tech said he has serviced a car with 49k hard miles on it and it's still running like a clock, so that was good to hear..... I need to drive mine more, but the traffic here in Denver is so bad anymore it's almost impossible to find a time or place where there isn't gridlock traffic......

Can anyone recommend a dealer for the first service (and the window seals) in the NY/NJ area? I bought my car in Boston and not sure where to bring it for service in my area.
Thanks!

Back