• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Routine service costs?

NSX thanks for joining

the NSX service advisor said his tech did not do an actual oil change during training

did you get to do one?

NSX thanks for joining

the NSX service advisor said his tech did not do an actual oil change during training

did you get to do one?

No but we all saw where the five engine oil drain plugs are (a couple cars had their under shielding removed), where the oil filter is, and what little oil drip catch tray to use.

Even the other "training" at the TRC in Ohio (which I also attended), everyone was shown giant pictures of the underside of the vehicle with no shielding with arrows pointing to all drain plugs and so on.

Updates?

Any owners been in touch with their chosen Acura service departments for $$ costs - routine oil changes and more involved down the road?

THX

Along with that - question for owners - have the insurance companies decided what the new NSX is going to cost to cover in your market?

Recently added my '17 NSX to others toys with Hagerty. Insured for $200K it only added $940/yr to my premium, but I have as somewhat non typical policy with them which is covering a number of other vehicles.

Hey guys,
I was able to speak with the dealer regarding cost of ownership.
Here is the breakdown. Do not quote me. Im just telling you from what the dealer told me.

1st oil service (oil without filter)/7,500 miles - $425.20 (7.3L (7.7 US qt))
2nd oil service (oil with filter)/15k miles - $559.30 (7.9L (8.3 US qt))

Additional options during service:
Replace air cleaner element - $115.06
Replace dust/pollen filter - $199.06
Replace transmission fluid: $349.20 (use acura gear oil GO-Type 2.0/4.6L (4.9 US qt))

Front brake pads: $1,172.74
Rear brake pads: $1,095

The brake pad services will include removing and weighting the carbon disks to see if they need replacing or resurfacing.
From normal wear, the carbon disks should last at least 20k miles without needing changing. Ideally, it can last 30k+ or the life of the vehicle if not tracked.
The wear is less then usual because of the regenerative brakes from the electric motor (similar to tesla).
However, if you do need to change the rotors, the front will be $11k+ and $9k+ for rear. I think if you changed them all at same time, it can be less. Im not sure. They mentioned the jobs separately.

My old 2012 gtr complete brake job with rotors was quoted $8k+ from dealers, but half that for aftermarket. Im sure the NSX can be done cheaper aftermarket as well.
I was quoted $32k+ for a complete brake job for my old 2012 mclaren 12c. The yearly service was $2,600 which includes other stuff besides just oil.

I think the NSX is more affordable to maintain in the long run and may have more parts available at a lower cost. The 12c carbon side mirrors were $8k!!! And carbon tailpipe was $4k!
If you want carbon, buy with with the car when u order it.

Right now, Im itching for a 2017 NSX.It would be nice to be back into another NSX (I sold my 2002 silverstone nsx-t). Im torn between a 650s spider and the 2017 NSX. I didnt think Id like it so much! I was dead set on the 650s spider until I saw the NSX in person yesterday after a buddy of mines picked his up. I did sell the 12c because i wanted a spider and was waiting for the price to drop abit more.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, extended service contract was about $3,584 to bring to 8 yrs /60k i believe.

Anyway, hope I answered some questions.

lc

Last edited:
So
Oil filter ~ $135 or ~ $20 and there is a lot more added labor (more panels to remove?) to get to it and make he swap?

Great job sleuthing the maintenance costs, thank you.

Did the dealer mention if the extended warranty was from Acura or from a third party?

Great job sleuthing the maintenance costs, thank you.

Did the dealer mention if the extended warranty was from Acura or from a third party?

They didnt mention where, but I think its thru Acura. Sorry, I was too busy drooling (C=

Alternatively, if you DIY, an oil and filter change would be about $150. So $400 of added labour costs.

Alternatively, if you DIY, an oil and filter change would be about $150. So $400 of added labour costs.

Would love to do it myself, but Im not a DIYer when it comes to cars unfortunately. Cost wise though, its seems more affordable then other exotics (unless u get a ferrari which has 7yrs free maintanence). Did you see the undercarriage? Looks completely covered! Although, sometimes I wonder if the technicians actually put all the screws back on. Always worried that they wouldn't.

lc

Would love to do it myself, but Im not a DIYer when it comes to cars unfortunately. Cost wise though, its seems more affordable then other exotics (unless u get a ferrari which has 7yrs free maintanence). Did you see the undercarriage? Looks completely covered! Although, sometimes I wonder if the technicians actually put all the screws back on. Always worried that they wouldn't.

lc

True, the price isn't too bad. I looked up the procedure to do the oil and filter change, and it really isn't that difficult. There are 7 drain plugs instead of one, so it means more time waiting for everything to drain if you do them one at a time. Replacing the filter is even easier than in the first gen NSX. Removing the engine cover is straightforward (although it does use a few of those stupid plastic clips that always seems to break if you even look at them sideways).

Hey guys,
I was able to speak with the dealer regarding cost of ownership.
Here is the breakdown. Do not quote me. Im just telling you from what the dealer told me.

1st oil service (oil without filter)/7,500 miles - $425.20 (7.3L (7.7 US qt))
2nd oil service (oil with filter)/15k miles - $559.30 (7.9L (8.3 US qt))

Additional options during service:
Replace air cleaner element - $115.06
Replace dust/pollen filter - $199.06
Replace transmission fluid: $349.20 (use acura gear oil GO-Type 2.0/4.6L (4.9 US qt))

Front brake pads: $1,172.74
Rear brake pads: $1,095

The brake pad services will include removing and weighting the carbon disks to see if they need replacing or resurfacing.

Those service intervals for the oil changes are very unrealistic. First off, nobody is going to do a no filter oil change on one of these. The engine is something like $75k in parts alone. Why chance that cheating out and skipping the filter. And those mileages are for ideal conditions. Which hardly anybody gets to drive a car in. Add some rush hour traffic, "enthusiastic" driving, and really hot or cold conditions to the usage, and your mileage interval will be less than half that.

Funny that the transmission service is only $349. It involves the same amount of labor as the $559 oil change.

The brake pad replacements is pretty cheap too. I bet they raise their price after they do their first one and realize it takes a whole lot longer than they thought to inspect, remove, clean, and weigh the carbon rotors.

Speaking of brakes, the DOT 4 brake fluid should be replaced every three years. More frequently if you track the car.

The really expensive service is going to be spark plugs. It is possible to replace them withou dropping the engine, but it's still going to be an awful lot of time compared to any other car. Even the previous NSX.

Just got first oil change. $311 out the door at Oakland Acura. I think that price reflects a promotion / discount. Not bad.

Had to be some kind of deal. Would not expect them to do it again at that price. I imagine their labor rate has got to be something around $180/hr. The oil and filter alone are maybe a little over $100 plus tax. So that left them an hour to do it? I bet it took their tech a whole lot longer than that.

Had to be some kind of deal. Would not expect them to do it again at that price. I imagine their labor rate has got to be something around $180/hr. The oil and filter alone are maybe a little over $100 plus tax. So that left them an hour to do it? I bet it took their tech a whole lot longer than that.

It was a 10% discount, so like $340 normal price. Agree that the tech probably took his time, so not a money making service for dealers at that pricing-- at least for the first few of these.

Awesome...glad to hear you're driving this thing. 1 week in and already at 400 happy miles. :smile:

It was a 10% discount, so like $340 normal price. Agree that the tech probably took his time, so not a money making service for dealers at that pricing-- at least for the first few of these.

Even $340 is really cheap for that. If they stick with that price going forward, I'll be amazed.

Even $340 is really cheap for that. If they stick with that price going forward, I'll be amazed.

Wow, a $340 oil change is considered cheap? Assuming the dealer gets 0w-40 in bulk for cheaper than we can get it retail, 8L of oil plus the filter shouldn't be more than $100. So about 2 hours labour should be more than enough to do the oil and filter change.

Wow, a $340 oil change is considered cheap? Assuming the dealer gets 0w-40 in bulk for cheaper than we can get it retail, 8L of oil plus the filter shouldn't be more than $100. So about 2 hours labour should be more than enough to do the oil and filter change.

Oakland Acura is in the SF Bay Area of California. Everything costs more there. I would imagine their labor rate is somewhere around $180/hr. There are probably dealers that are over $200/hr around there. So that $340 price is cheap for the area. I would expect to see a price like that if it were some dealer in Texas or somewhere where the cost of living isn't so high.

Counter point

i believe dealerships kind of price oil and filter changes low to encourage folks to keep coming in

back in Boston, Herb Chambers had oil cards, 12 changes for $144

so for $12 bucks, I got an oil and filter change and a car wash on the S2000, I could eat free apples, have a cup of coffee and if I didn't feel like hanging around, they would drive me back to my house

Back