• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery charger as an option

There is an battery charger option when you configure your NSX ($299). The case looks like a rebatched CTEK charger. What does it charge exactly? 12V only or hybrid battery as well? For that kind of money for a simple charger you should be able to expect the later.

There is an battery charger option when you configure your NSX ($299). The case looks like a rebatched CTEK charger. What does it charge exactly? 12V only or hybrid battery as well? For that kind of money for a simple charger you should be able to expect the later.

The service manger at our dealer who was in Ohio for factory training said it's a rebadged CTEK as you say.
The charger is only for the 12V battery.

The hybrid battery only charges when the engine is running.
As the engine starts using the hybrid battery he said the engine needs to be run for 30 mins every three months at a minimum to keep enough charge to start the car when needed.

What the service manager didn't know was if the plug-in built into the NSX for the 12V charger uses the same plug that comes with the CTEK or whether Honda used a special fitting in the NSX which would require a special plug in the charger.
If a special fitting was used then you'd have to buy the Acura charger to get the correct fitting.

If they really use a special plug (like for the Alpine CD charger back in the days) you could buy an ordinary CTEK-charger and solder its plug instead of the 'special' one (saving $200 at an expense of $xxxxxx, maybe not realistic :D).

The reason why I ask is because some NSXs will get driven quite seldomly and as the NSX is a hybrid car the hybrid battery needs some Attention if you don't drive it daily. In all hybrids it's stated in their manual that you should run the engine for around 30 minutes every month or so to keep the battery happy. Honda has a long time experience with hybrids but mainly with NiCd batteries and I thought they addressed the potential problems with a hybrid battery charger. So I thought THIS is the option a buyer can/should choose.

In the hybrid world it's strongly recommended to charge the hybrid battery BEFORE you start up the car after a longer period of storage. This is common sense among hybrid people. The interesting thing about this knowledge is that it goes back to the engineers in the US. Honda didn't reacted in the way that they built in a plug or charger for the battery. They just replaced the batterys (quite a lot of NiCd back then) under warranty when the hybrid battery went south after a owner didn't used it regularly. The one who used it as a DD had the lowest rate of failure. If you ask your dealer about this he won't be able to give you any answer.

If you trust in the usual statement of driving the car every three months you might run into problems with the hybrid battery in the long term. But it's uncertain by which extend as the battery technology has changed too.

If they really use a special plug (like for the Alpine CD charger back in the days) you could buy an ordinary CTEK-charger and solder its plug instead of the 'special' one (saving $200 at an expense of $xxxxxx, maybe not realistic :D).
The reason why I ask is because some NSXs will get driven quite seldom and as the NSX is a hybrid car the hybrid battery needs some Attention if you don't drive it daily. In all hybrids it's stated in their manual that you should run the engine for around 30 minutes every month or so to keep the battery happy. Honda has a long time experience with hybrids but mainly with Ni-Cd batteries and I thought they addressed the potential problems with a hybrid battery charger. So I thought THIS is the option a buyer can/should choose.

If Honda uses a special size female plug in the NSX the trick will be finding the correct male plug to fit the female plug in the car.
Soldering it to a CTEK will be the easy part.

I agree many NSX's will sit particularly in winter.
This topic was discussed at the tech training session in Ohio.
Honda told the tech reps a minimum 30 mins every three months so that's all we have to go on for now.

If Honda uses a special size female plug in the NSX the trick will be finding the correct male plug to fit the female plug in the car.
Soldering it to a CTEK will be the easy part.
A CTEK comes with a plug for the car. You could change the one of the car for the CTEK one. But some may argue not to touch the originality/virginity of it. :)

Attachments

• ctek.GIF
    ctek.GIF
    49.9 KB · Views: 876
A CTEK comes with a plug for the car. You could change the one of the car for the CTEK one. But some may argue not to touch the originality/virginity of it. :)

I'm trying to say that the NSX may have a different plug than what the CTEK comes with.

Ctek markets to other manufactures in the same manner: BMW, Lamborghini, Audi, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, etc.
They all use the default plug from CTEK. I doubt Acura would do any different.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer and user of smart trickle/maintainers. I have many (as in 15) smart chargers. Initially I had some cheaper nits but years ago I converted them all to Schumacher 3Ps , though badged as Sears Diehard Platinum on assorted (cars, truck, boat, motorcycles, and even a yard tractor) batteries. I have a few vehicles with their OEM batteries (10 - 15 yrs old) which are still in service! So I was on the fence of adding the high cost OEM charger. But after talking with dealer NSX tech I decided to get it. What I was told (and sold me) was that part of the excessive cost is the wiring and cabin plug installation done as part of the build when charger is ordered. So, if he is correct, cars ordered w/o the charger should be missing the pre-wired socket under the glovebox.
So, does anyone out there who did not order the charger have the orange socket? And if so maybe check it there is voltage there indicating it is actually wired to the battery and provide feedback.

For 1/2 the price I will supply and install a CTECK charger on the front of the car where it belongs. Who wants this connector in the car?
39b6b0cae5351ef3a37d722a8a724ca3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it that is completely true. The info may be for those wishing to add the battery charger/system post delivery.
I'm fairly certain that my socket was already in the car at delivery. Though I can't say for sure as dealer had it a few days until I had made room for it and setteld on financing. The car did arrive with the illuminated door sill units boxed, which dealer tech installed. Prep involved some basic checks and car was barely touched. Due to the 60 day paint cure it wasn't cleaned or detailed. They said it is owed me and will be done at my preference in spring.
Reason is I did not check for the charger socket upon delivery because the charger , like the mats and car cover were on back order. The charger was shipped directly to my house a few months after car delivery and shortly after I had it, I just plugged it in.

correct, the wiring isn't pre-installed from the factory. its installed at the dealer level.

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2017_NSX_BatteryCharger_BII03342-05.pdf

The charger isn't an FIF (factory installed feature) like the carbon fiber bits. I'm sure [MENTION=33024]MasterNSXTech[/MENTION] can share info.

I thought the charger is an FIF, as they only wire the plug for it at the factory if you order the charger.

I thought the charger is an FIF, as they only wire the plug for it at the factory if you order the charger.
FIFs are carbon fiber pieces, interwoven wheels, alcantara headliner, seat options, and audio.

dealer installed accessories are: door sills, charger, cargo net, thick floor mats, car cover, carbon fiber trimmed wheels.

IMG_3432.jpgIMG_3435.jpg
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but it appears from the CTEK offerings it is a variant that doesn't completely match their Product offering, but close. The OEM plug appears to be a variant to their Compfort Indicator Panel and plug. For the NSX, when the voltage drops on the battery below a certian threhold, and LED indicator lights up.

View attachment 143733View attachment 143734
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but it appears from the CTEK offerings it is a variant that doesn't completely match their Product offering, but close. The OEM plug appears to be a variant to their Compfort Indicator Panel and plug. For the NSX, when the voltage drops on the battery below a certian threhold, and LED indicator lights up.

That is what I use on my 1991 and S2000. Green, yellow and red LEDs to indicate battery voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would a standard Battery Tender not be advisable? How does the rebadged CTEK charger compare? I've successfully used battery tenders on all my cars for over 15 years.

Am I seeing this right? You have to keep the passenger open while charging the car on the trickle? Or close the door and pinch the wire?
Yes, very stupid in my opinion.. it should be at the front of the car.
you could run the wire through an open window, then scratch your paint. :)
I cannot think of any reason why the connection is in the car.

It would have been clever if they put the socket behind the traditional gas cap. I guess the trickle charger wasn't forecasted to be a high uptake item? then again, if they bothered to make provisions for the plug under the dashboard they could have easily put it somewhere else more easily accessible

It would have been clever if they put the socket behind the traditional gas cap. I guess the trickle charger wasn't forecasted to be a high uptake item? then again, if they bothered to make provisions for the plug under the dashboard they could have easily put it somewhere else more easily accessible

Good idea for easy access, but I don't think having any type of electrical connection adjacent to a gas fill point is a good idea for obvious reasons.

That said I think the interior one wasn't well thought out either.
I keep driver window open more than power cord dia so not pinching nor using door opening and causing door weather seal deformation. (Nearest outlet in garage is on driver side).
I do have issues with cord getting caught on side view mirror (it's a tight access /near wall where I keep the car now) plus I do worry about paint impacts (or worse a dents) from charger itself which (while setting -up) as it needs to rest in driver floor. (guess it's good to have the rubber sleeve on it)
I agree that an exterior access plug would make much more logical sense. Or maybe one under the hood? Heck it's easier to route the wiring to the battery there vs though fire wall/body etc. With some proper thought, a better place should been chosen.
Hmmm, maybe I need t make a parallel connection if I can get another female socket?!

Last edited:
Kind of what had in mind and what I'd do with a non NSX one... like I did on my '02.
Have to see if I can get a female socket I can work with to match the dash installed unit.

Back