• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Charlotte's SoS Stage 3 3.5L Twin Turbo 65,000 Mile Update

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
Nothing new to report since the 40k mile update except that the list of eviscerated cars keeps growing. We're still on the lookout for that battery operated thing from Ohio to see if Charlotte is up to the task. :)

There have been absolutely no issues (knock on wood) with the engine or drivetrain. Being a stroker motor, it does consume a bit of oil but now that it's just about broken in, oil consumption is noticeable lower. It's about 1/2 quart every 600 to 1000 miles. So that's about it. The block has a total of 333,000 miles on it and the build was done at 265,000 miles in 2010. The only oil that has ever gone into the motor since I bought the car in 2003 with 70,000 miles on it is Amsoil. I also did the Auto-RX cleansing routine when I first bought the car and have followed the recommended Auto-Rx maintenance dosing ever since. The current Amsoil product being used is their 10W-40 Premium Protection (high zinc). Product # AMO-QT

Here is the most recent engine oil analysis from Blackstone Labs from earlier this year:

sos65kblackstone.jpg

Last edited:
Hugh

How much do they charge for the analysis? Any info on how to interpret the results? I might be interested in doing this.

Thx

hi Hugh -- We have noted in our builds that synthetic oils, comparing the same viscosity, tend to have more oil consumption than standard oils. Which is why we recommend Castrol GTX oil for builds that don't require the increased thermal protection of synthetics. Glad to hear she's going strong with 750 BHP & 65,000 miles!

Only 65k miles in six years? You're slowing down a bit!

Glad to hear the engine is working great. How is your latest clutch holding up?

Thanks.

It's pathetic isn't it! I have racked up 45k miles in the 2011 Crosstour since the SoS build though.

The Carbotenics Triple Carbon was installed at 281K miles almost exactly 5 years ago so it only has a little over 50K miles on it. I'm knocking on something wooden before I hit the submit button because I expect that damn clutch to last at least another 50k miles at the very least. LOL

- - - Updated - - -
hi Hugh -- We have noted in our builds that synthetic oils, comparing the same viscosity, tend to have more oil consumption than standard oils. Which is why we recommend Castrol GTX oil for builds that don't require the increased thermal protection of synthetics. Glad to hear she's going strong with 750 BHP & 65,000 miles!

I actually lied (well actually completely forgot about) a little issue that cropped up back in February at 330K miles. The compressor's belt tensioner pulley's bearing gave up the ghost and seized which caused the belt to explode. Since it was February not having A/C for a day or two wasn't an issue. Now that I look at my records that part was replaced when the oil sent to Blackstone from the original post was changed.

It's been 6 years since you guys built this masterpiece. The only maintenance items that I haven't had done yet are the spark plug replacement and the valve clearance check. They're only 5,000 miles overdue. I'll get to them over the winter sometime. Or maybe I'll send you guys the car for a complete inspection/refresh/quad turbo super build!

- - - Updated - - -

Hugh

How much do they charge for the analysis? Any info on how to interpret the results? I might be interested in doing this.

Thx

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I'm guessing you got your answer by now but just in case, I get the basic oil analysis for $28.00 plus the TBN add-on for $10.00.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests-price-list.php

Everything you need to know if explained at Blackstone's website. They send you the containers for your oil and the required paperwork. I never mail the black plastic cylinders exposed. I put them inside a Priority Mail box from the post office. Sending black plastic tubes of liquid through the mail post 9/11 is not recommended. :)

I have absolutely no clue how to interpret the numbers. I rely on the wizards at Blackstone to leave the appropriate comments when they email me back my reports.

Last edited:
Hugh, after 80k miles of mostly freeway driving, my Carbotenics Triple Carbon is starting to lose it's luster. The "shift bracket" outside the transmission snapped, so I had that replaced. Autowave has STRONGLY suggested that I should be looking for a replacement very soon...I didn't agree then, but I do now. I was hoping to get at least 100k out of it considering how much I paid for it....

Back