• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Radiator upgrade?

I was running a BBSC at 9.5lbs of boost with no temperature issue even after long 20 minute track sessions. This was with stock radiator and shroud. Is there a max HP that the stock system can cool? I am going turbo and shooting for 650 whp and thinking I will need to upgrade the radiator and poasibly thr fan/shroud combo. Macattack, coz, and others have discussed these changes but not sure t what point the stock is no longer enough or if simple mishimoto resolve the issue to a certain power level. Also looks like coz has successfully used the masiv radiator anyone else use this? Any modification required. Read a bit about the masiv maybe not being will suited for traffic. I live in Northern Virginia and we'll eventually get stuck in traffic. Typically 30-45 min of stop and go but I can almost always avoid it.

I installed my Koyo myself, from memory i think it drops straight in.

I'm no mechanic, if i can do it anyone can so there wouldn't of been any major mods getting it in.

I think [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] runs a masiv radiator as well. I think the driving ambition dual pass radiator is still available as well.

My car has a Driving Ambition radiator.
The problem with the turbo kits is that the I/C radiator sits right in front of the normal radiator making it far less effective.
During my last track outing at 35°C the water temperature started to climb and I had to stop the session...

My car has a Driving Ambition radiator.
The problem with the turbo kits is that the I/C radiator sits right in front of the normal radiator making it far less effective.
During my last track outing at 35°C the water temperature started to climb and I had to stop the session...
[MENTION=4034]Coz[/MENTION] has a similar setup but i can't recall if he had a A2W heat exchanger or a A2A intercooler in front of his MASIV radiator. No issues in AZ heat but he can speak to that.

I have a vented hood currently not sure if I will keep it. I will have a a2a intercooler so won't affect the radiator cooling in the front.
You will have zero issues with a vented hood. I'll even encourage you to take it to a track event in Death Valley (i'm not joking!)

There are a few folks here in California that are using the production version MASIV in track conditions with a non-vented hood. I haven't heard of any issues yet.

Good luck in your search.

(BTW.. a bunch of us can heatsoak a Koyo radiator)

I've tried them all, (Radiators) always had over heating issues on track that made me come off earlier than I wanted to.
Since going through the testing with MASIV and getting where we are now with V3 & 4, all my cooling issues have stopped.
I never see anything above 210 in water temps even in 100 degree ambient temps during hard driving 20-30 minute sessions.
Something else to keep in mind is I also run a Mocal/Laminova Oil to Water cooler which even puts more stress on my cooling system,
I'm FI as well at 568 rwhp. My I/C covers 1/2 of my radiator. I also run a vented hood.

[MENTION=4034]Coz[/MENTION] has a similar setup but i can't recall if he had a A2W heat exchanger or a A2A intercooler in front of his MASIV radiator. No issues in AZ heat but he can speak to that.

- - - Updated - - -

I have them in stock.

Where can one purchase a Masiv radiator?

Attachments

• New Inter-cooler 1.jpg
    New Inter-cooler 1.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 278
  • R2 Installed 3.jpg
    R2 Installed 3.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMGP1689.jpg
    IMGP1689.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Another thing to remember is to make sure you run the shroud as this can cause overheating if removed.

Also what about the coolant itself?

manufactures claim a drop while using their coolant, there are also additives available.

But yes the front mount water to air cooler sits right in front of my rad and would restrict flow to the rad.

Ryu are you saying with the vented hood and stock setup I will have no issue? Or vented and masiv or other radiator?
In my experience, with your setup you will want to run something better than the stock setup or a stock equivalent like the Koyo. I can't speak to the DA, PWR, and others who are also good from what i've been told. However, one of our local guys was able to heatsoak a PWR with a built-in oil cooler in AZ heat IIRC. It just isn't enough capacity when asking the radiator of the same for factor to remove heat from the oil as well. Coz has tested his setup, again.. with an external oil cooler whereby the MASIV radiator is cooling the coolant used to cool his W2O oil cooler. Hope this makes sense...

A MASIV radiator and a vented hood is the ultimate solution even with the small stock fan and shroud setup. I'll be happy to track in the Sahara Desert with this setup and i'll happily put my reputation on the line for it FWIW.

Like I said earlier, a few guys have tracked their MASIV radiators with a closed hood in an NA car. Appears to be going ok as well.

One thing i've learned with the MASIV radiator is that it works amazingly well if you allow it the air flow. The radiator is designed efficiently enough to pull the needed heat away from the coolant IF it can transfer that heat to the air adequately. The stock radiator and/or Koyo equivalent is nearly maxed out in the heat it can extract even if you run a vented hood or not (though again, a vented hood helps in all high heat situations). Vented hood is a no brainer solution but maybe next summer I will put back my OEM hood just to be able to put my personal experience behind it as well.

Last edited:
On a FI car, a vented hood is a must.
We all know a FI car generates more heat which in return puts more stress on the radiator, among other things.
The vented hood allows the heat build up from air passing through the radiator to vent out of the area.
Think of the front area under the hood as an convection oven without a vented hood.
You have to allow the hot air a place to escape so it can be replaced with new airflow which stops the build up.

PM sent...

Coz can you send me pricing on the masiv. Also can I use stock fan and shroud. I have what I think is a burn up vented hood two holes so shud be ok for now.

Back