• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

thunderbolt track day

just want some opinion on my run this past weekend at thunderbolt New jersey here a video i think that sums up my driving for all 3 days
i'm on dunlop zII and kw3
i'm in a higher gear on the last half of the track for some of the turns since my revs are so low anyone driven thunderbolt can chime in?
https://youtu.be/wQt45G5J68Y

Gee, glad to see you are at it. Well done. Thunderbolt is my favorite track - here is what I learned: You can be in fourth gear most of the time. You'll never need second gear unless there is a real train of cars. So--- Down shift to third at: Turn one - then you are back in fourth either before turn 3 or just after 3 - stay in fourth through turn 4, down shift at last minute before turn 5, get back in fourth before turn 6 and stay in fourth all the way until turn 9 -- then shift back to fourth before you take turn 12. The only alternate might be to down shift at turn 7 instead of 9, which saves the dangers of downshifting when you are not in a straight line - Track Map One of the real tricks I was taught is to push the car just hard enough to under steer out of turn 10, as you are unwinding at track out, so that you are ending up on [ being pushed to ] the right side of the track [ not left side where you think you should be] this way you are accelerating early out of turn 10-- This is important because turn 10 is the beginning of the straight - not turn 12! That way you are in 4th gear before turn 12, which is a high speed turn that needs to be taken balanced and with only a tiny bit of positive throttle. Hope this helps.

Back