• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will all of the cars with 00000 VINs be destroyed.

Just curious if anyone knows the fate of the press / research cars.
Are they technically considered development prototypes and don't require a VIN because they will be destroyed?

If so is it due to a law or is there some type of liability issue?

I was told that they have a sad fate

i have to believe they will salvage some parts, some will be torn down for analysis

i would just send them to a track and set up a permanent pay per lap attraction

It's a bid sad and seems wasteful, but I guess that's SOP.

Based on the wiki it seems like the 1st gen pre-production prototypes had VINs.
The first 1991 NSX available for sale in the USA had serial number 000063; all lower numbers were pre-production prototypes.

My info is a little foggy but someone "inside" told me there is a chance they would be available for employee purchase. My buddy mentioned he would buy a pre-production "internal" car. I don't know if this is necessarily a 000 car or some type of public press fleet car. I reckon it's the later...

Sometimes they will go to schools for research and practice or for continued promotional purposes. Hopefully not crushed. What a waste.

Wow, that's nice. My highschool had a FD RX7 that we always dreamt of taking it out around the block during autoshop. Anytime we had to practice doing alignments, wheel balancing, or anything else, we would always try to get the teacher to let us use it.

Back