• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ball seat lug nut options for 91-93 OEM wheels

Hi all,

I am looking to put the 91 OEM wheels back on my NSX. The car was sold to me with aftermarket wheels on and the previous owner included the OEM wheels. After reading up online, I found out that I need ball seat lug nuts for the OEM set, which weren't included with the sale.

I checked with the local dealer and they charge ~$8 per nut, which adds up to ~$160 + tax.

Is there a more cost effective option to the OEM lug nuts?

Thanks.

If you want to really cheap out, just get an OEM set off another Honda/Acura car like an RSX or S2k. The thread pitch should be the same.

BTW, congrats on the purchase.

You can get a generic set off eBay for about $20 a set. Search for "honda ball seat lug nut"
The size you want is M12X1.5

I still can't believe I'm an nsx owner now; I sometimes "forget" that I have one lol. I was told that the generic ones from the dealer that fit the s2k are $6 each which adds up to $120 + tax, about 33% cheaper than the nsx ones.

Hapa88, I want cheap but will the $20 ones compromise safety?

What are the oem nsx and s2k lug nuts made of? At $120-$160, what other alternatives do I have that might add more value?

Thanks guys!

Hapa88, I want cheap but will the $20 ones compromise safety?

What are the oem nsx and s2k lug nuts made of? At $120-$160, what other alternatives do I have that might add more value?

Thanks guys!

I've had 12 sets of wheels on the NSX. From OEM wheels to aftermarket. Had those colored lug nuts, OEM, WORK lug nuts, and the ones from the local tire shop (made in China, $0.50 each). I've never seen a lug nut fail in my life. I'm still using the Made in China ones from Discount Tire company and they've had zero issues and I track on them too.
You can buy them on Amazon. If you're really afraid, buy a known brand like Gorilla or McGard.
Here's 16 of the Gorilla ones (I can't seem to find the 20 pack)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-38432n/overview/

Here's Dorman set of 10 (you'll need 2 sets)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-611-138/overview/

I may be wrong but I think the OEM nuts are steel

99% sure they're aluminum, way too light to be steel, non-magnetic, doubt they're titanium.

The Dorman set Hapa88 referenced are a good deal, if you don't mind that they're steel and chrome.

Last edited:
Aluminum nuts almost always becomes stripped when using an impact gun in my experience. Remember to tell your tire shop not to use one and then watch if they do, I've had several sets ruined. After numerous sets of lug nuts including titanium, stainless steel or zinc coated steel are pretty hard to beat for standard duty use! If the nuts are softer metal than the threads they lock into, guess who wins that battle!

Last edited:
@dablackgoku1234 [MENTION=11581]Hapa88[/MENTION] @Nero Tenebre @JD Cross

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I don't plan to track or drive the car often, so I figured maybe the aluminum ones will do for short summer weekend drives.

I plan to get 94-01 wheels down the road as my "end game" wheels. Maybe then I'll purchase some high quality lug nuts.

Another silly question. For lug nuts that advertise themselves as forged, is the metal forged into the final product? Or are they forged and then machined into the final product? I figured machining them into the final product would defeat the purpose of forging with the splitting of the crystals etc.?

Last edited:
Just throwing my .02 cents in...

I'll also second the recommendation on McGard lugs. I still have a "Spindle Seat" set from a previous car, which I've been using for the past 7 years! They're still in ~8-9/10ths condition, and I don't exactly give them the "white glove" treatment. (I'll assume due to the fact that they're steel lugs, more than anything else.)

IIRC, the set, with locks, were just under $100 (albeit, seven years ago.)

EDIT: Yep. Still less than $100 ($84 USD @ Autoplicity) : http://autoplicity.com/250646-mcgar...pdmJitIllcs7AL0wa22Wjhcu4w15934lS4aAr288P8HAQ

For reference, McGard part number "65557" includes, 16 spline-drive spindle-seat lugs, 4 locks, lug key, lock key, and 4 crappy rubber valve stems. ("65557" seems to be cheaper than the kit that lacks the rubber stems ("65557CN".)

*HOWEVER, note that the above part numbers are for conical seat lugs, not ball seat*

Last edited:
I know it's great to consider the ultimate lightweight wheel/tire/lug nut combo for track day use and start with forged aluminum lug nuts.
However for a daily driver/street car subject to potholes, curbs, bumps etc. I'd get a set of OEM steel wheel nuts and be done with it.
The steel nuts are virtually indestructible, safe, and won't fail if you hit a curb etc.

Another silly question. For lug nuts that advertise themselves as forged, is the metal forged into the final product? Or are they forged and then machined into the final product? I figured machining them into the final product would defeat the purpose of forging with the splitting of the crystals etc.?

I'm sure every manufacturer is different but this is how I expect 90% of forged lug nuts to be made. They would start with a raw aluminum rod. Cut that down into a smaller "slug." That slug is heated then pressed into the general shape of the lug nut. The rest of the lug nut is then machined into the final product as seen in the example below.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dVLrAce8lHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pe7_eUKvrZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone purchased any ball seat chrome lugs recently for oem wheels(91)? I was looking to pick up a chrome set. I was wondering if Autozone still handled them. Any input/recommendations appreciated.

I just gave a set away.:( Chrome & black are probably the same; you can't see them if you're using that '91-93 plastic hub cap. I wouldn't compromise on aftermarket lugs.
Chrome OEM part [HASH=1287]#:90304[/HASH]-SA5-013, US$2.40 from Amayama, $9 from oemacuraparts.com
Black OEM part [HASH=1287]#:90304[/HASH]-SA7-811, US$2.62 from Amayama
Replacement lugs are available from SOS for $50/20, but they're about 1/2" longer and I'm not sure they'll fit under the hubcaps.

Back