• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suspension Choice: NA1 NSX-R or 2002+ NSX Type S suspension?

Was hoping you guys/gals would share your opinion/insight into which suspension is a better choice.

My car is a 1992 coupe. Mainly street car and (maybe) a few track days a year. I have the NSX-R chassis bars and NSX-R 02R front sway bar.

NA1 NSX-R/S-zero or 2002+ NSX Type S suspension?

Which suspension would your go with?

Last edited:
I guess I'm just a sucker for the aesthetics of the external damper fluid reservoir on the NSX-R suspension. Not sure what the going rate is today but I'm guessing cheaper than KWs or JRZ. Haha!

Why do you prefer the NSX Type S suspension?

I had a cheap zanardi setup with the z springs and koni yellows....ok for a few track days...with stiffer front bar....I have run the type R for many years...probably need to refresh some day...harsh on the street, nice for most hpde. the lack of adjust-ability is either a blessing or curse depending on your personality

Buy some KW or some JRZ and be done. KW are boss dogs on the street. I love the KW. I had a similar shopping cart a few months ago as you have now. Glad I listened to folks here about not going oem honda. Driving my car lowered on terrible roads is now a pleasure and not a burden.

If you don't drive your car a lot and hold a lot of cache for OEM Honda parts (I get it) then might as well get the Type R. For the little amount of time you spend in the car it's probably worth the harshness. Agree with [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] 100%.

If you DO spend a lot of time in the car... the Type S is probably more bearable. I had to pay double for my coilovers but I wanted better than a Type R for a track day and better than the stock suspension for long trips. I can also adjust for anywhere in the middle for canyons etc.

Essentially, with suspension... you still "Get what you pay for" unless it's OEM then you will usually pay more than what you get HAHA

Thanks Regan for input! Yeah my car is not a daily driver. It's a weekend car and a HPDE once in a while. I do want to stick with Honda parts for now. I've read that the R suspension is not as harsh as some would have you believe but I assume that's subjective to each person's POV.

In the NE with crappy roads the R is harsh related to the shock settings...but in the southern US without the winters on nice roads it would be much better.

In Toronto, we've got a bit of both... that's the only reason I'd consider just doing the Type S suspension but I don't know how much different they are.

Buy some KW or some JRZ and be done. KW are boss dogs on the street. I love the KW. I had a similar shopping cart a few months ago as you have now. Glad I listened to folks here about not going oem honda. Driving my car lowered on terrible roads is now a pleasure and not a burden.

Details please! I've heard other folks glow about using the OEM struts with Zanardi or type R springs....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Details please! I've heard other folks glow about using the OEM struts with Zanardi or type R springs....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I cannot comment on a type r or a Zanardi suspension, as I never owned either. All I can say is that I was about to pull the trigger on all new oem honda suspension until some very good prime peeps steered me clear. Coz and Ryu thank you!. :) But that has already been covered in my thread so I wish not to deter the OP'S decision to go the direction the man wishes to go... If you would like more details just PM me. Or look around prime for my posts. Everyone has their comfort level, KW finally made me reach mine. Im also 5'10" and 265 pounds so there's that too! LOL! I need more cushion....

I had the 2002 Type-R suspension including the front R sway bar plus two front chassis bars. It was fine on most Nashville roads, but unbearable in Los Angeles. I replaced it with KW V3, installed a much stiffer front sway bar, non-compliance rear bushings / toe links / front clamps. The car is much smoother on roads and I really like my current set up for hpde days as well. A used 2002 Type-R suspension in good condition goes for ~$1.8k. I do not regret selling my Type-R suspension for the KW.

Back