• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

8 month Deployment

So guys I am in the desert right now. I will not get back until mid Apr 2017. As of right now my NSX is covered with a battery tender on it. Upon my return is there anything other than oil change, coolant flush, that I should have done before driving her?

Hopefully you change oil before storing it, put some gas stabilizer in tank, check tires for app. Air, throw some moth balls in cabin, I like to cover my exhaust opening Incase rodents etc craw inside and die. Other than that she should start right up come spring. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

I think typical maintenance (all fluid, tires, fuel, battery condition) plus visual check for all hoses and belts would be good enough. I would fire it up and let it warm up slowly, easy on pedal for the first 15 mins of driving to ensure everything is working properly before you go spirit driving.

Thank you for your service!

Hopefully you change oil before storing it, put some gas stabilizer in tank, check tires for app. Air, throw some moth balls in cabin, I like to cover my exhaust opening Incase rodents etc craw inside and die. Other than that she should start right up come spring. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

I made sure to cover the exhaust openings with the car cover. I put moth balls by each wheel, but not inside the car...guess I could have done that.

If you were closer i'd go check on the car for you. Thanks for your service [MENTION=16942]Nukem[/MENTION] (but really.. don't nuke them yet ok lol! :))

thanks, Hope we never have to nuke anyone...

On my last deployment, I made the TERRIBLE MISTAKE of putting moth balls inside the cabin. Please for the life of your brain cells, and for the health consideration of any future passengers, DO NOT put moth balls in the cabin.

Buy fine steel wool, and shove that slightly into the exhaust tips. In storage, battery was not on a tender, so of course that died... but other than that, change fluids, fired up and good to roll.

When I deployed (7 months and 9 months) I lived in San Diego so I just kept the car covered.
Stay safe and keep your head on a swivel!

Only a month left. Had the wife start the NSX up a week ago and let it run for about 15 minutes. She said for the first 5 minutes it had a rough idle (going up and down, not smooth) but smooth out after that. Other than that she said my rear passenger tire keeps going flat despite being pumped up a couple weeks ago, my passenger side head liner is starting to sag. :frown: I miss the NSX especially now that I see people are getting their cars out after the snow. I did not save money out here...I bought some goodies for the NSX. KW V3 coilovers, NSX-R Chassis bars, NSX-R front sway bar, HAWK HPS pads, and may be purchasing a NSX-R engine cover and new tires for all four corners.

Thanks for your service (I'm an old Navy type). Bounce dryer sheets in the interior, trunk, engine compartment, and under the hood. I also have a number of mouse traps around the garage. Battery tender, stuff socks in the exhaust, fuel stabilizer (I use Seafoam), ventilation in recirc, park it in gear in reverse, crack the windows and have your wife let it run once a month until it warms up, turning on the a/c for a few minutes. When you return change the oil. That's about all that I do and I haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
I wish I had seen this post earlier... I could have stopped by and driven a few times... exercised your ABS for you.
So will you be back by tomorrow to surprise me at the West Omaha Euro's and Exotics in the morning?

PS... thanks again for your service!
Hope to see you back here soon.

Last edited:
Back