• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed or ProSpeed catalytic converters?

My car has a set of test pipes on it right now. My eco-conscience and emissions testing require me to get a set of cats. Well, more the emissions testing, honestly. Been searching around and it seems like the usual suspects are the SOS or ProSpeed units.

They are both the same price. And I guess it doesn't really matter, but the ProSpeed ones are slicker looking which I know is a ridiculous attribute to even consider when shopping for exhaust components. Call me an aesthete, I guess. Which ones would you guys recommend? :redface:

Last edited:
I have Wil's ( angus is screen name on Prime) AP-X converters with the 300 cell count and I passed emissions the first time with flying colours after failing horribly with test pipes (duh!).

[MENTION=32992]Butters[/MENTION], aren't you in Washington State? If so, I think your almost as tree hugging as California. It might be in a better interest to post a wtb thread for Oem cats as many non tree hugger state owners go turbo. I am not sure you will pass emissions testing with SOS or the "Ill fitting" pro speed. In any event, I'd steer clear of pro speed.

Thanks, guys! I didn't realize that ProSpeed wasn't operating anymore. I checked their site which is still live. I've got an email out to AP-X right now.

I have Wil's ( angus is screen name on Prime) AP-X converters with the 300 cell count and I passed emissions the first time with flying colours after failing horribly with test pipes (duh!).

I have Wil's 100 cell high-flow cats and am very happy with them. They are really nice-looking, speaking to your appearance criterion. In NC '95 cars don't have to pass emissions, but Wil says that his cats do pass emissions I believe.

Last edited:
Angus is good peeps. He has a great prime track record. I run his ap-x exhuast and love it more and more everytime I drive. It isn't as fancy as the Japanese stuff. But I bought for the sound and the sound alone.

- - - https://youtu.be/MtX8oIM2SNM

Here is Angus's wonderful x-pipe exhausts paired with a ctsc, headers and Oem cats. I know it isn't for his cats but you can get an idea. He makes some good stuff.

Last edited:
Yup, in Seattle. I'm hoping that Wil responds soon. piran1 was saying that he's had great luck with his 300 cell cat passing emissions.

Hrmm... I've emailed and texted Wil but no response. Anyone else know of a better way to get in contact with him?

How has everyone else's dealing with AP-X (and therefor Wil) gone down?

So far the communication with him has been very flaky. I'm hesitant to purchase anything from AP-X if this is going to be representative of the service they provide. Doesn't instill much confidence that one will even be delivered a product.

EDIT: Welp, just received an email from Wil. Apparently, he was busy with a turbo install. Let's hope things get smoother from here.

Last edited:
I was just going to say maybe he's on vacation. He'll follow up and get you geared up. Being busy means people are buying his stuff. This should tell you something about his products:smug:

My dealings with Wil have been excellent, he has been prompt and responsive in his communication. I have bought high-flow cats, which I love as I posted earlier, and wheels from him. I believe your experience has been atypical, as you said it turned out that he was tied up on a big job.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to post up my experience with buying a set of catalytic converters from AP-X. The product was manufactured and delivered in a timely manner. Communication throughout the process could have been a bit better, but I am under the impression AP-X is kind of a one-man-army type of operation... so maybe that just comes with the territory. Install was quick and relatively painless. Best of all, my NSX passed emissions! What's funny, though, is that it has now graduated from the emissions program as next year it'll be a 25 year old car, making it exempt from emissions. Kinda makes me wish I could've skirted emissions for a year! Another positive thing to note is that my car no longer smells like gasoline when I get out of it now after a drive. The HKS exhaust note is a lot quieter now, which I would say is a bit of a minus, but perhaps that's just an excuse to go for the Lightweight Exhaust from Pride! :)

Back