• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Illuminated Door Sills

OK, but everyone has their way to grab extra $$$, like charging extra for the "Dynamic Steering" and the "Plus" power options. Or the "Diamond Stitch" headliner package, etc. Manufacturers are trying to offer decent value, but also make a buck on the options. If they're not, they're dumb-- and that's ultimately bad for customers. I want companies to continue to make unreasonable cars and not lose too much money on them.

I have two gripes with Acura: the "optional" (cough--- MANDATORY) carbon brakes and the big upcharge for the fancy Blue/Red paint. But I'm still a happy camper overall and am NOT tempted to switch to the new R8 (which seems bonkers and awesome, BTW).

The base NSX with carbon brakes is about $167K
The base R8V10 is about $190K
Isn't that $23K difference what an NSX owner can use to buy options to make the NSX equivalent in spec and price?

^^^^^^^and exhibit A as to why I'm waiting before jumping into the new NSX for a while. The depreciation is likely to be insane, just like on that 12C.

The depreciation on the Gen 2 car (I can't bring myself to call it an NSX out of respect for Mr. Honda) will be way way beyond insane. If the thing even stays in production for more than 3 to 5 years I'll be shocked. Almost every single component on this car is designed to "simulate" the feel of driving a correctly engineered, lighter car. One example: the thing is "brake by wire" and has a gadget on board called "Brake Pedal Sensation Simulator" that makes you think you're using real brake pedal connected to a master cylinder. Are you shitting me?

Honda unfortunately is being run by a bunch of morons. Porsche has taken a piece of shit like the 911 with the engine sitting behind the rear axles and has successfully upgraded the basic car over what 40 years and it still sells like crack in the ghetto.

The Gen 1 NSX is still the greatest sports car ever built. Period. It is only one of the most beautiful cars ever produced period. I've owned Charlotte for about 13 years now. She is my second NSX. I had a new 93 in 1993 when I lived in NYC but the cost of insurance, garage etc was ridiculous. I still broke even when I sold it a year later with 40K miles on it. About a decade ago I went as far as declaring the NSX the greatest single consumer product in any category every made.

That being said, hopefully Honda will get its shit together, melt down all the tooling in Ohio, fire up Tochigi again and bring back the real NSX with some modern touches. I would gladly take the job of leading the project. I promise you that you'll be getting a car as reliable as Charlotte with at least as much power (666 HP to the wheels), just as reliable (Charlotte has 330,000 miles on her) and none of this hybrid battery bullshit.

In closing, it won't be long before Gen 1 NSXs are worth more than the rolling video game they're spewing out in Ohio.

Last edited:
You lot are whining about the price of the door sills, in the UK they want £3000 for them!!!

£3000, not $, £!!!

Even at today's ridiculous rate that's still about $3660!

Glad to see the illuminated doors sills on an actual car - and to think we are the only ones who checked that box as a MUST HAVE :)

Options aren't too bad on this car. If you ever cross-shopped a Porsche or Lambo, most of these option are the norm for the most part.

my car was specified with the the carbon fiber illuminated door sills. Expensive but desireable ...Should have been standard and no charge for a $180,000 vehicle.

Back