• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best brake pad upgrade for street driven NSX

Better stopping power, less dust and no squealing are my requirements. Car may see 1-2 HPDE events per year.

Thanks.

Carbotech AX6 is what I have. They are quite good in both conditions. They definitely dust a lot but I've treated my wheels to a sealant product that repels brake dust and grime. Seems to work pretty well. Some people might recommend Carbotech XP8 which is more aggressive but I think you'd be fine with the AX6. You could also do XP8 on the front and AX6 on the rear. Anyway, I'm sure others will chime in.

We've run EBC Yellow pads on our stock NSX, they are great on the street (low noise and dust) and also have held up to some light tracking as well.

Hawk hps for the street. Carbon anything is not street worthy. Track worthy yes. I run hps up front only and they actually create slightly less dust than the rears which are Oem nissin.

sadly less dust and track are mutually exclusive......for your requirements oem pads with fresh fluid and maybe new brake lines with proper bedding may be all you need

Interesting post, also wondering what pads.I can get Yellow stuff easy in the UK. They do not recommend for anything with more than 200bhp.

I recently swapped from StopTech Street Performance pads to Hawk HP+ pads (front and rear)...night and day difference.

I've only got about 500 miles on the HP+ pads, but their initial bite is excellent. There is a little squeaking when you come to a slow full stop, but otherwise they're quiet. Minimal dusting, but that's to be expected from a higher performance pad.

I only drive my car on the street and for me, these pads are perfect. Just the right balance between performance and convenience - highly recommended.

Last edited:
How much better braking performance does Hawk HPS provide over OEM? I understand there will be a bit more brake dust, and possibly some squeaking. Would it be suitable for 1-2 HPDE sessions per year and lots of twisty fun? What is your experience with HPS after switching from OEM? Can you brake later or is it more for overall brake performance? Thanks.

I didn't like Hawk HPS at all. I used HP+ for the track and then changed to HPS for the street and was not a fan. I didn't see any benefit over OEM. I may have had even less friction than OEM. Hawk HP+, on the other hand, is a substantial increase in friction and track readiness, with a corresponding increase in dust, and noise if used without periodic hard stops.

How much better braking performance does Hawk HPS provide over OEM? I understand there will be a bit more brake dust, and possibly some squeaking. Would it be suitable for 1-2 HPDE sessions per year and lots of twisty fun? What is your experience with HPS after switching from OEM? Can you brake later or is it more for overall brake performance? Thanks.
I have the hps and I have gloss racing black wheels. The dust is so minimal it is almost non existent. Also, there is NO noise at all. But,,,,, I do not track and I am lighter on my brakes than most. So,it may be subjective.
Also, the only benefit over oem is cost. But now JW has me thinking of swapping to hp+. But I hate brake noise and dust and would prefer to downshift on the street.

Last edited:
If you hate noise and dust, don't use HP+. Once I realized that I had to periodically stop hard with them, it was better, but it doesn't take long of driving with gentle braking to have the squeal come back. My current car has Porsche brakes; I used the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, which are super quiet and low dust but just don't have the friction I was wanting, so I switched back to OEM Porsche pads (Textar), which are a bit like the HP+ for me--they make noise if I go too long without some aggressive stops. Once I do that, they are fine again.

^ Thanks for your input JW.

Hmm, so is there any other alternative like ceramic pads which are very close to OEM in terms of quietness and less brake dust but with slightly better stopping? So, people who do HPDE switch to diff brake pads for track and street?

Hmm, so is there any other alternative like ceramic pads which are very close to OEM in terms of quietness and less brake dust but with slightly better stopping? So, people who do HPDE switch to diff brake pads for track and street?

I'm guessing because track pads would be a compromise for street.

If you want the stopping power they tend to not be so good when cold, noisy and messy. They may also eat rotors faster.

I guess people swap if they don't want the noise and having to clean the wheels every time they go out. Also wanting to feel comfortable stopping for the first so many miles of driving before the pads are warming up etc.

I just ran yellow stuff all year round, wheels were always grubby but it stopped and i didn't have to mess about on the odd track day i did.

Ok, let me rephrase the questions then. If we focus on mainly street and fun drives, what is a better alternative to OEM pads but not squeaky and with slightly more brake dust :)

I am about to try Porterfield R4S for spirited street/occasional track days. I can post up how they work, but there is good feedback here on Prime.

Awesome, thanks. :)

This site is the reason why I dont start drinking heavily :)

I am about to try Porterfield R4S for spirited street/occasional track days. I can post up how they work, but there is good feedback here on Prime.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...nt-brake-pads-Carbotech-or-Ferodo-Axxis-combo

I would stay away from the Porterfields from what I've read...

Guys I really wish I could find the Carbotech Panther Plus pads but they're not made anymore... I've read that the Carbotech AX6-8 XP8-10-12 are good performing pads but they make tons of noise which is just a huge deal breaker for me. The Carbotech Panther Plus pads had amazing bite and lasted a long time with minimal dusting. I do not track at all but trying to find something comparable. Thanks

Back