• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trofeo R's out of stock at Tire Rack

My car is inbound, so I figured I'd order a set of the tires that Acura puts on the test cars--- but they are out of stock at Tire Rack with no due date. I hope these are available soon. In the mean time, I ordered a set of Cup2s.

Not surprising as I ordered a set of 18/19 Michelin pss for my na1 and now tire rack doesn't even list them on their site anymore. WTF

Tire rack does list the Trofeo as original equipment, as it does for the Contis, WTF

The Pirelli snow tires have my name on them

Please advise on the road noise. Will you be using the OEM wheels with the Cup 2s?

Cup2s are great tire for sure. It will be good to compare to Trofeo in terms of grip and, perhaps more importantly, longevity on track.

Just have the OEM set of wheels. Might look for cheap take-offs if anyone here is planning on upgrading their wheels. Not sure if I will track the car enough to bother with second set of wheels.

Cup2s are great tire for sure. It will be good to compare to Trofeo in terms of grip and, perhaps more importantly, longevity on track.

Just have the OEM set of wheels. Might look for cheap take-offs if anyone here is planning on upgrading their wheels. Not sure if I will track the car enough to bother with second set of wheels.
Maybe i'm confused.. if you're not planning to track a lot then it seems your plan is to use the Cup2s primarily for street use and occasional track?

I plan to track it a few times early on, so I will burn through the stock tires and the Cup2s well before the rain comes to California. This is a heavy and fast car. I would not be surprised if Cup2 tires only last 4-5 days (two weekends).

I suspect I'll end up using Super Sports as my combo tire long term. But, if I can get a deal on some take-off OEM or other cheap wheels that fit, I might keep Super Sports on my OEM/Street wheels and Cup2s (or Trofeo) on a spare set for the track.

i'd really be curious how the PSS tire compares to the stock Contis. Early on, my sources say, Acura didn't go with the PSS because Michelin could not meet the volume demand, but I honestly think it was a cost issue. I suspect the PSS will be a better street tire

I don't believe it was a "cost" issue in terms of saving a few bucks per NSX, but might have been a broader "relationship" issue between Conti and Honda. It would be worth something to Conti to be able to say they were chosen as the tire supplied with NSX. This may have manifested as a "cost issue"-- but only in that broader sense.

Someone on here referenced a comparo that claimed that the stock Conti 5P are actually pretty good tires are are comparable to PSS.

I don't believe it was a "cost" issue in terms of saving a few bucks per NSX, but might have been a broader "relationship" issue between Conti and Honda. It would be worth something to Conti to be able to say they were chosen as the tire supplied with NSX. This may have manifested as a "cost issue"-- but only in that broader sense.

Someone on here referenced a comparo that claimed that the stock Conti 5P are actually pretty good tires are are comparable to PSS.

i dont know why honda went with Conti, but i know u can order a oem track pack from honda with pirelli trofeo r, witch in my respect is the best tire for the nsx

Question about tires

I have been trying to get my Acura dealership to schedule tire change for my car, specifically, I want the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

Two problems:

1) I have not been able to reach anyone to help me with this at my local Acura dealership. I have left messages with no response. I have called and none answers on the service side. I called parts and they said they cannot find those tires to order for me. I finally got one service person to answer and he said he did not know if tires can be ordered and delivered to them by me for them to install. Online, you can arrange only for Continentals to be installed. They don't offer other tires.

2) I am not sure if I order of Tirerack and have it sent to local top mechanic, not Acura dealership, for installation, they will do a good job for an NSX. Acura parts staff told me a lot has to be arranged for a tire change for an NSX. Is this true?

Silly problem, but my car needs shoes, yesterday!

Changing tires on the NC1 wheels is no different than any other wheel. Care just needs to be taken not to nick the CCB if you have them while removing and then installing the wheels.

Your dealership sounds like they are incompetent.

Changing tires on the NC1 wheels is no different than any other wheel. Care just needs to be taken not to nick the CCB if you have them while removing and then installing the wheels.

Your dealership sounds like they are incompetent.

I agree for the most part except on the trofeo R tires, they are the most structurally stuff tires I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen a couple installers scratch their heads on how to get a low profile front tire installed on a 20” wheel with the trofeo R, they scratched one of my wheels. With that said, this was not an nsx but it was a similar car and I would not recommended them unless it’s a track car.

r888r or Michelin sport cups I would recommend for any street use/occasional track. The trofeo r rubber is actually HARDER than the others (durometer rubber readings I took) and takes so much heat to get them to work compared To the r888r. The r888r work pretty good above 110 degrees, the trofeo r will take much more work.

Back