• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seeking Advice re: potential purchase of 06 TL in Mamaroneck, NY

Hi NY area Prime members, Jeff from MI (/94 Formula Red) here seeking some advice. I'll keep it short. My daily driver up until 1 year ago was a pristine /06 TL -- exactly like the one in the link below. I stupidly got the new car bug and while I intended to keep the old TL around (which incidentally with 140K miles drove like new) after taking delivery of my new car, a single dad buddy of mine whose 20 year old Saab crapped out begged me to sell him the TL which I did. I was happy to help him out as he is a pilot and it is somewhat early in his career so he doesn't make much money and needed a reliable car. However, I really miss the TL so I scan the internet looking for a minty example. This turned up about 1 week ago:

http://www.dchtoyotacity.com/certif...maroneck-6a8b53350a0e0ae8595b246cc5e54274.htm

Anyone have a recommendation for a good shop in the area to do a PPI? I believe that the Acura dealer who serviced the car (look at the Carfax -- that is a pretty impeccable service history) is close to the Toyota dealer who has the car for sale and my plan is to call the Acura dealer tomorrow and talk to the service manager to see what he knows about this car and try to arrange for a PPI assuming selling dealer is OK with that -- if not I'll take a pass. The pictures of the car look good but before I commit to a trip from MI to NY I want an independent PPI done by someone who knows their stuff.

If anyone has a recommendation or any pertinent knowledge about the reputation of the selling dealer, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

Best,
Jeff

Larry B. is your best bet, he's from Warwick NY.

Frankie

The car has a good history on Carfax, one owner, only 52k miles on it, and the pictures looks nice. If you can get it for around $9,500 then who cares about a PPI. It's not like this car was beaten up on by a kid.

Good luck and don't loose the car because of something trivial.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc and Frankie. I spoke to dealer and they took a deposit on it couple hours before I got to them. I'm now on to an /08 in Brandford, CT with more miles (65K) and a very clean Carfax showing dealer service every approx. 4K miles. Change the oil in these Hondas/Acuras every 4K, drive them with some respect, do the TB/WP major service timely and they will last an easy 200K miles before any major attention is required. I bought an Audi A6 3.0T (new, 2015) after I let my beloved /06 TL go. The A6 is lovely but VAG attitudes to customer care leave a lot to be desired. I've had a couple of teething problems. Although VAG took care of these issues under warranty, the service experience was worlds apart from Acura (and not in a good way). All 4 rotors warped within first 11K miles (and no, when I want to drive in a spirited manner I use my NSX and the A6 is driven as if by a little old lady on my commute to work) and when I took delivery of the A6 it had a ride issue as if rear wheel was out of balance (that took dealer over 6 weeks to figure out and in fact they never figured it out -- I had to tell them to swap my wheels/tires with those of a brand new car on their lot which took care of the problem -- they acknowledged that problem solved but didn't want to leave the other wheels/tires on my car -- I ultimately had to show some temper before they agreed to do so). Getting these issues attended to if car were an Acura would have been quick and painless. Not so with the A6 which validates my position that when warranty over so is my ownership of the A6. They made me feel that they did me a huge favor by fixing the defects in a car with a 60K sticker. In fact the RO for the brake work indicates something along the lines of "one time goodwill gesture to ensure customer satisfaction." Yeah, right. Can you imagine this type of approach with Lexus or Honda/Acura -- never. When I replace the A6 I hope Acura has something that fits my needs because I sure would like to return to the fold.

The Gen III TL acquisition is actually to hold in reserve to replace my 85 year old Dad's /04 TL that has 150,000 miles on the clock and runs as if new. I just want him in something a bit more recent with less miles. He deserves this at the very least. He loves the old TL and at 85 I want him in something that he is familiar and comfortable with (and with no touchscreens or anything like that -- knobs and buttons only please). Last time he was here to visit (he lives in Toronto -- I'm in Michigan) he drove the NSX -- was fantastic to see him enjoying it and although he hasn't had a car with a manual transmission since the BMW Bavaria that he owned in the /70s, he got in, fired Baby up and it was as if he had been driving the NSX on a daily basis. Amazing. I hope I have him around to drive my NSX another 85 years.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input.

PS -- Doc, just noticed I have same NSX as you had -- /94 Formula Red/Black -- last year w/o targa top and no power steering! Car makes me smile just looking at it in the garage and still nice to drive after so many years. Mine is fairly low miles -- just under 52K and it has been amazing -- very little in way of repairs and pretty inexpensive to keep on road despite the fact that it is obsessively maintained.

Good luck. Sounds like your dad has good taste in cars! One thing to watch out for is the almost inevitable transmission issue. The one in our '04 TL went at 120k miles. But it is such a good car that it was a no-brainer to replace it. It has 170k miles now.

Thanks Doc and Frankie....

PS -- Doc, just noticed I have same NSX as you had -- /94 Formula Red/Black -- last year w/o targa top and no power steering! Car makes me smile just looking at it in the garage and still nice to drive after so many years. Mine is fairly low miles -- just under 52K and it has been amazing -- very little in way of repairs and pretty inexpensive to keep on road despite the fact that it is obsessively maintained.

Yeah. Mine was totaled three years ago. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. I had it for 15 years, the longest I ever owned a car for and I've had 70 cars in 20 years. :D

I've had two TL's. An '04 and a '10, and both were great and never gave me a problem. I'm now on my second RLX and I love it. The lease deals on them are great. I've bought five cars from the same Acura dealer since 2001.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks Bama, as I understand the trans issue is less prevalent in the later year Gen III TLs and I try and mitigate trans issues by doing a proper flush and refill every 30,000 miles (which as you probably know requires some 9 quarts of fluid).

Doc I think I recall your thread on Prime about the loss of the NSX -- sad thing but in the end as long as you are OK that's really all that matters. As a friend of mine says, the high end German cars have some sort of pixie dust sprinkled on them at the factory but it is all but gone once warranty expires. I'd get flamed for this statement on AudiWorld but the fact of the matter is as nice as the German cars may be to drive when new, the concept of German superiority is largely a myth and the ownership experience is frequently less than pleasant once things start to fall apart which seems to happen well before you run into issues with Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota.

Jeff, I'm sure your heart is in the right place in wanting a good reliable car for your Dad. Years ago my Dad's 96 Accord was getting on in years and like you, I thought it would be nice if he had another new car. He and Mom really saw no need to part with their car as it had low mileage (for a Honda), was very well maintained, and had enough undercoating to keep ten Hondas from rusting. I couldn't disagree with their logic, so they drove the car until they no longer felt comfortable driving anymore, because of health reasons. Their live in caregivers drove them around in their Accord for years after that. After they passed on the car was left to me. I didn't really need it, but my brother's oldest daughter did, as she was moving stateside for a new job. I knew the car had lots of running left in it, and she would take great care of it. Chelsea was just home for a visit frome Rhode Island with the Accord. I was shocked by the condition of the car. Still rust free (she has had it undercoated a couple of more times for good measure) and in great shape mechanically. It looked like new inside and out. Dad would be so pleased. Too bad Honda doesn't use the same quality materials for their interiors these days.

I guess where I'm going with this Jeff is, does your Dad really want a newer car? Maybe a thorough mechanical going over, a nice professional detail, and a CAA membership would do the trick. He still likes the car and is comfortable driving it, so I'm just throwing this out there. Everybody is different. Your Dad is obviously a car guy if he still wants to take your NSX for a rip. Maybe he's chomping at the bit for a different car. Sounds like you should be looking for a Type S.:playful:

Good luck in your search. Oh, and in my opinion, changing the oil every 4K in a regularly driven Honda product is overkill.

Faron, thanks for your thoughts. Dad is here this weekend in MI visiting and the TL (now 12.5 years old) looks almost perfect. It is truly shocking -- not a speck of rust and hardly a mark on it. I've been driving it today and it is still such a pleasant car to drive. Looks 90% as good as when I took delivery in 2004 (I bought it, drove it approx. 1 year and exported it to my Dad in Toronto). As for how it runs no need for the mechanical going over -- all has been done already and given the business you are in you probably know exactly the few little things that go on these cars -- a couple engine mounts, little drop from heater/water control valve, hood struts, some new brake parts including calipers, a few other things -- all minor items. I replaced the rad, thermostat and all coolant hoses at about the 10 year/120,000 mile mark preventatively. CAA membership in place (that came in handy when battery died and they just showed up and replaced it -- very convenient).

I think you are right that maybe I want Dad to have a newer car more than he feels the need. Having said this, minty TLs seem few and far between in the Great White North but I've seen a couple in the Maritimes that if I had married that girl from Sydney (father owned a radio station so maybe you know who I'm talking about) I would check out. There is one in PEI now that looks nice! Seriously, Dad is on board to replace the /04 with an /08 if we can find a no issue car with under 120,000 km and a good maintenance history. Silver/dark gray and light interior preferred. Should you come across anything meeting those parameters I'd love to hear from you. I'm not at all adverse to another trip to NS (did it as a kid with my parents and sister in Dad's........wait for it..........Peugeot 504). Cabot Trail fantastic but never made it to Halifax which I would very much like to visit.

+1 on the Type S. Had that as a loaner a few times and what a fun car.

Best,
Jeff

Following... Good luck JZ!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will keep my eye open for a TL for you Jeff, no problem. I grew up on the South Shore and have lived in the the Annapolis Valley for the last 24 years or so. My wife and I owned the Honda dealership in Kentville while in the valley, until a couple of months ago. The car business is probably not fully out of my blood yet, and I have lots of friends at the other Honda and Acura locations in the Atlantic Provinces. Let me know if Moncton Acura has anything of interest. They have a new NSX coming and I would like to check it out when it shows up, so I'll be there anyway.

I'm not familiar with who owns the radio station in Sydney. I'm sure you had some good times, as most of the Capers I know are great people and love to party!
It sounds like your Dad's 04 has been looked after very well. I can't say that I have heard of a lot of engine mount issues with these cars. Even though I'm not selling them anymore, I have to put a plug in for the Accord. Would leasing a new V6 be an option? They are a fine driving car. I took a V6 Touring 6-sp coupe with me when we left. Lots of go, comfortable, good gas mileage, and looks decent too. I guess I am a little biased though.:cool:

Thanks Faron. Funny you should mention the V6 Accord. One of our neighbour's kids just bought a new one and brought it by. As usual, lovely Honda V6 engine. I'll have to price the V6 4 door if we can't find a minty /08 TL. I appreciate you keeping your eye out, thanks.

Best,
Jeff

Not that it matters anymore but I purchased a used Sienna (for what I thought was below market) from that Mamaroneck Toyota dealer you linked. I drove the minivan an uneventful 4000 miles to move my dog and myself from NYC to CA. Subsequently sold it to a friend, and it's sill running strong if it's any reflection on the dealer (and Toyota product).

Kenny thx for weighing in! The car ultimately was sold to someone else after I took a pass on it. I learned something quite valuable as I looked at the subject vehicle from afar. In the ad the car looked pretty pristine. I asked the salesperson to take a very good look at the car for me and to tell me if any cosmetic blemishes that did not appear in the pics. While there were no major issues the car was a bit of a mess from the hi-res pics he sent me -- all 4 wheels curbed quite a lot and front end at bottom had some damage that needed attention. There were a few other cosmetic imperfections beyond what I was willing to accept. The car had been traded in by a woman in her 70s and I guess her driving skills were not the best. Not a deal killer but asking the right question saved me a trip and the expense of a PPI for someone else to tell me about these issues.

Best,
Jeff

Sorry I am late to this thread but I could have gone to look at the car for you. I could have also recommended a near by dealer who there service manager is also a member here but anyway good luck with your search. I love my 08 TLS had it since new and still going strong with no major issues

Back