• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can we talk Clutches?

I heard back from the ATS importer, PPI. They report that none of the ATS clutches will work with the standard 6-speed input shaft. Rather, one must first convert the transmission to the dual-spline shaft from the NSX-R/NSX-S-Zero (part # 23210-PR8-N00). Though that isn't such an expensive part, it is a bigger project for sure. I guess I should be happy that I don't appear to need a new clutch right now.
Tearing open the trans can become a slippery slope for sure. That's a bummer but thanks for letting us know!

Well, the good news is that I wasn't in fact so out of touch with my car. The bad news: my clutch is definitely slipping. I'm thinking it is worth it to switch the input shaft so I can use a more readily available and higher performing clutch.

Well, the good news is that I wasn't in fact so out of touch with my car. The bad news: my clutch is definitely slipping. I'm thinking it is worth it to switch the input shaft so I can use a more readily available and higher performing clutch.
My friend (Kuni in the video on my sig) went thru the same decision process. He ended up with a badass fully built trans that really enhanced the characteristics of the car but it wasn't cheap. It's one of those things where... "since i'm already in there, I might as well do this and that and this". Slippery slope! I haven't bought a 6spd yet because I know it will be an expensive build knowing my personality. A built 6spd would be my holy grail.

Man... I also just tried a PG1 last Sunday. I forgot how heavy that sucker is!

Regan, for some odd reason Andrew's pg1 is MUCH heavier than mine... He was asking me if maybe there is an install technique or adjustment of some sort to lessen the heaviness? He purchased the pg1 solely based off how my car felt, now he has an extra heavy pedal.

My friend (Kuni in the video on my sig) went thru the same decision process. He ended up with a badass fully built trans that really enhanced the characteristics of the car but it wasn't cheap. It's one of those things where... "since i'm already in there, I might as well do this and that and this". Slippery slope! I haven't bought a 6spd yet because I know it will be an expensive build knowing my personality. A built 6spd would be my holy grail.
How much can a tranny rebuild cost? Up to $6-8k?

I know on SOS it's about $2k.

What would the tranny rebuild entail?

Regan, for some odd reason Andrew's pg1 is MUCH heavier than mine... He was asking me if maybe there is an install technique or adjustment of some sort to lessen the heaviness? He purchased the pg1 solely based off how my car felt, now he has an extra heavy pedal.
Robert, hard to say bud. Perhaps you have a special one! All the PG1's I've tried have been like your avg leg day for me :)

How much can a tranny rebuild cost? Up to $6-8k?

I know on SOS it's about $2k.

What would the tranny rebuild entail?
Building vs. rebuilding is totally different.

Building a 6spd would entail updating to the latest 2005 conical synchros, WPC treatment, Type R input shaft, new OEM bearings (etc), and a better Limited Slip Diff (i.e. OSG, ATS), and a lower final drive gear set. Probably the cost of a supercharger all in. Don't forget... new twin disc clutch.

of course the standard response in so many words is ymmv.......but I'd still be curious how he will respond....

I spoke with Wade at SOS. He told me to check the pedal adjustment. Other than that he said they haven't had any failures and that it was unusual to fail at such low mileage. I mentioned that I have read of others failing and he said the times it has happened it has been people using the wrong clutch for their application.

In a nutshell: "We can't say anything without seeing the car or the clutch."

Apparently they can rebuild it if I send it back, for something like half the cost of a new one. That's inexpensive enough I may just do that instead of digging into my transmission. Ugh.

Last edited:
Edit: Wade's comment about pedal adjustment is making me think. While my pedal does have some free play the engagement point is pretty high. I am going to check and adjust the pedal just in case that is a factor.

Can the adjustment change over time? I've always thought that was something I could leave alone without thinking about it.

I spoke with Wade at SOS. He told me to check the pedal adjustment. Other than that he said they haven't had any failures and that it was unusual to fail at such low mileage. I mentioned that I have read of others failing and he said the times it has happened it has been people using the wrong clutch for their application.

In a nutshell: "We can't say anything without seeing the car or the clutch."

Apparently they can rebuild it if I send it back, for something like half the cost of a new one. That's inexpensive enough I may just do that instead of digging into my transmission. Ugh.

I can confirm that I had my clutch rebuilt for about half the price at SOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can confirm that I had my clutch rebuilt for about half the price at SOS.

Thanks for the report. If you will share, what was the mileage on it when you had it rebuilt? Which SOS clutch?

Adjusting my pedal to move the engagement closer to the floor may have mad a difference. No slippage just now, but it is warm out so I won't be convinced until I drive it a few more times in other conditions.

Reedit: nope, definitely slipping even after pedal adjustment. Since it depends on ambient temperature I guess its just barely failing to hold the required torque.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. If you will share, what was the mileage on it when you had it rebuilt? Which SOS clutch?

Adjusting my pedal to move the engagement closer to the floor may have mad a difference. No slippage just now, but it is warm out so I won't be convinced until I drive it a few more times in other conditions.

Not sure of mileage because the clutch came from previous owner with little service history. The clutch was actually an old RPS branded clutch that they were able to rebuild to a 350, so I was happy to hear they could rebuild it. I went from a ctsc to twin turbo setup so clutch had to be changed out anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been reading about the ATS clutch and also contacted ATS for more information...

they have information about weight here:

http://www.ppi-ats.com/Carbon_clutches/ATS%20clutch%20weight.pdf

Their single disk clutch is really light at 8.5 Kg vs 16.2 twin OEM! Do you guys know what would be the main diference in feel between a single and a twin clutch?

I'm on NA route, so rated hp of clutch is not the major factor for me! i would be more interested on responsiveness and weight savings but keeping it streetable and if possible not too noisy...

Thanks

Bruno

My OSGiken STR2 twin plate clutch (left) just arrived within a month from Japan. I've heard from somewhere before that leadtimes were horrible, but seems like this is not the case (at least not here in Hong Kong).

18588713_10158631554540398_1082810214645778479_o.jpg

Let us know how it runs. I had my eye on that one as my next clutch. Currently getting a lot of slip issues with my Revolution twin disc clutch with lightened flywheel. I would like to have someone competent look at it but not sure how much it'll take. I feel like opening up the transmission is enough work that I would just want the clutch to be replaced at that point.

I also have a spare transmission in snap ring range so if I sent the spare to be rebuilt with the new clutch a local shop could just swap it. Decisions decisions...

Very nice; how much did it cost???

My OSGiken STR2 twin plate clutch (left) just arrived within a month from Japan. I've heard from somewhere before that leadtimes were horrible, but seems like this is not the case (at least not here in Hong Kong).

18588713_10158631554540398_1082810214645778479_o.jpg

Cost for the STR2C was about 1700USD incl air freight to me. I'm located in Hong Kong.

I'm not supercharged yet, but my shop was raving about the newer OS street master (Grand Touring in US) clutch. I was quoted 1400USD shipped for that.

Shop tells me this is a great clutch if you're not needing that extra oomph.

Last edited:
I have been using the OS Giken Racing Clutch for a few months now. It is definitely lighter and quieter than RPS/SOS twin carbon clutch. Highly recommend this to any high powered nsx.

Thanks. I'm curious how it will hold up. I think you're just one of a couple people to use this in a turbo application.

Did you ever upgrade to the OSG clutch? My Carbonectics Triple Carbon is starting to feel soft, so I'm also looking.

Back