• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can we talk Clutches?

After driving my new OS Giken racing clutch for a few days, my impressions are as follows. Pedal feel is lighter than RPS/SOS. Very smooth and first gesr releass doesnt shudder like it used to with rps. Noise level is significantly less too. I would delifinitely recommend this over the rps twin carbon clutch. FYI it was cheaper too.

I haven't seen the TQ capacity of the STR2C posted before but I finally saw OS Giken post it publicly on their FB page. I can't link the post but it was on their FB page dated Feb 13, 2017.

"OS Giken Our STR2C twin plate would be good for low 500ish lbs.ft at the wheels while providing a easy to modulate clutch pedal"

500 lbs ft to the wheels is a lot for a clutch that's so easy to use.

Maybe this will help [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION]

E7782A6B-B525-4F68-8720-6FDF478B0054.png

Who is your recommended installer? I think I'll go for OSG...

In socal, I'd stick with Shad @ Driving Ambition, Nick @ Applied Motorsports or Jon Martin @ Diamond Honda. Ramon @Niguel Motors can do clutches too but I am unsure of his familiarity with the alteration kit the STR2C requires. May be worth giving these shops a call.

Jon Martin is closest to LA and he installed mine.

Please note the OSG does make some noise only when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. I think it's moderate in volume but some really don't like it.

The ATS appears to be good from what I hear however, it is untested here on nsxprime AFAIK

I am thinking of OS Giken STR twin VS Grandtouring/Street Master. Here is what OS Giken USA said regarding my recent inquiry for supercharged NSX application. Note the torque cap. Jon states for the clutches.

OS-USA Sales <[email protected]>

Reply|
Mon 2017-02-27 9:41 AM
To:
Prelude Prince ([email protected])
Hello Eddie,

Grand Touring single is good up to 280 lbs ft torque maximum. You would want to be about 80% of that maximum for longevity. The STR is the clutch that you will need to handle the power and weight of the vehicle..

Best Regards,

Jon

**PLEASE NOTE OUR EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED!!**

OS Giken USA, Inc.
Ph: 310.986.6620
Fx: 310.986.6621
email: [email protected]
web: www.osgiken.net
OPEN M-F 9am-5pm PST

From: [email protected] <[email protected]> on behalf of OS-USA Sales <[email protected]>
Sent: February 7, 2017 10:21 AM
To: Prelude Prince
Subject: Re: Clutch Replacement/Upgrade for a Supercharged NSX

Hello Eddie,

For your application I would strongly suggest our STR Twin Plate. It utilizes our single diaphragm spring for oem like pedal pressure while still being able to handle up to 570 lbs.ft torque. It is also in stock which is pretty rare here in the states. Typically NSX product is built to order and has some leadtime attached to it. The flywheel is not overly lightened and should provide good response as well as good drive-ability characteristics.

I can only quote MSRP as we do not sell direct. Any of our authorized dealers should be able to work with you in regards to pricing. This kit includes flywheel, clutch kit, movement alteration kit. You will need an OEM pilot bushing/bearing and a metal input shaft for clutch alignment. We do not recommend using a plastic tool as they tend to sag and do not give good alignment.

HA101-BJ5
MSRP: $2390.00

Best Regards,

Jon

**PLEASE NOTE OUR EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED!!**

OS Giken USA, Inc.
Ph: 310.986.6620
Fx: 310.986.6621
email: [email protected]
web: www.osgiken.net
OPEN M-F 9am-5pm PST

Last edited:
Hm. My SOS Sport 350 appears to be slipping after ~14k miles. That's quite disappointing. No track use just some autocross.

Appreciate any thoughts on 6-speed-compatible clutches.

Hm. My SOS Sport 350 appears to be slipping after ~14k miles. That's quite disappointing. No track use just some autocross.

thats crappy....did Chris have anything to say...

Jason, if I was looking for a clutch today I would buy one from these folks. Do some research... you'll find they are well revered.

Seems like they have 6spd units available in multiple friction material choices.
http://www.ppi-ats.com/index.html

EDIT: for the record, i'm still very happy with my OS Giken and have no reason to change at this time.

Last edited:
Thanks Regan. I will definitely consider that ATS. I may be learning what's involved with a DIY clutch change...

I haven't spoken with SOS but I suspect I know how these things go.

of course the standard response in so many words is ymmv.......but I'd still be curious how he will respond....

So I'm trying to figure out with ATS if I am limited to their single-disc clutches. They seemed a little surprised I would say that. Is it at all possible that I could use a dual-disc with my short input shaft?

So I'm trying to figure out with ATS if I am limited to their single-disc clutches. They seemed a little surprised I would say that. Is it at all possible that I could use a dual-disc with my short input shaft?
I'll try to ask my Japanese friend for you along side your inquiry with ATS.

Thinking logically... aren't there triple disc clutches for our cars? Therefore, I'm not sure if input shaft matters in this case.

I'm still confused if ATS is the new name for the old Carbonetics company?

There are a few on here running the old twin and triple Carbonetics clutches. I know Autowave used to say good things about them. I wish I had listened to them before buying/installing my SOS/RPS twin carbon :mad:

Jason, if I was looking for a clutch today I would buy one from these folks. Do some research... you'll find they are well revered.

Seems like they have 6spd units available in multiple friction material choices.
http://www.ppi-ats.com/index.html

EDIT: for the record, i'm still very happy with my OS Giken and have no reason to change at this time.

I only see one available for the NSX under "Super Blade."

Which would you recommend for an NA2 with low boost CTSC? I have a PG1 and it's too heavy for me. I was otherwise considering the SOS 275, but stories of an SOS clutch slipping after a short amount of time keep me from pulling the trigger. And the OSG seems to be overkill for street use.

I only see one available for the NSX under "Super Blade."

Which would you recommend for an NA2 with low boost CTSC? I have a PG1 and it's too heavy for me. I was otherwise considering the SOS 275, but stories of an SOS clutch slipping after a short amount of time keep me from pulling the trigger. And the OSG seems to be overkill for street use.
I did a quick search on their site and the first link under "Metal Clutches" shows they have both 5MT and 6MT in Single, Double, and Triple disc. With a #37 footnote that I can't find. (Devil's in the details). http://www.ppi-ats.com/Clutches/ATS M Clutch appli USA Nov 2012 Honda & Mitsu.pdf They had another PDF in their carbon clutch section as well. Lots of choices it seems.

Man... I also just tried a PG1 last Sunday. I forgot how heavy that sucker is!

I already have a low boost CTSC and i'm very happy with my OSG STR2C. It's the right happy medium with all things considered. But enough of me gushing over that clutch.. my comments are all over prime. Like I said earlier today, if I was to do it all over again i'd give one of the ATS' a try. Probably the Carbon twin.

Bellow the table on the PDF file of your link there is a note : #37 : Required parts for the installation are - Mitsubishi slave cylinder MD748617 and Nissan throwout bearing 30502-14601
Honda clutch hose 46961-S2A-013, and Honda oil bolt 46963-SD4-020

...With a #37 footnote that I can't find.

Last edited:
Well, I may have jumped to a premature and erroneous conclusion. Today in the dry, my clutch was fine in 3rd and 4th gears. I'm thinking I must have gotten tire slip the other day in the wet. I expected the TCS light or some squirm/instability to go along with tire slip but perhaps it was too brief. I'm still suspicious but for now it seems my clutch is okay. Embarrassing.

I'm still looking into what ATS options will fit the NA2.

I'm still running my Carbonetics Triple Carbon...got about 85k out of it, but after I had to replace the Mitsubishi slave cylinder MD748617 and the Reverse Rod Assy, now the pedal engagement is getting closer to the floor; time to get the OSG installed at Autowave...

I'm still confused if ATS is the new name for the old Carbonetics company?

There are a few on here running the old twin and triple Carbonetics clutches. I know Autowave used to say good things about them. I wish I had listened to them before buying/installing my SOS/RPS twin carbon

Last edited:
I heard back from the ATS importer, PPI. They report that none of the ATS clutches will work with the standard 6-speed input shaft. Rather, one must first convert the transmission to the dual-spline shaft from the NSX-R/NSX-S-Zero (part # 23210-PR8-N00). Though that isn't such an expensive part, it is a bigger project for sure. I guess I should be happy that I don't appear to need a new clutch right now.

Back