• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can we talk Clutches?

"walking in circles" :smile::biggrin::eek::wink::tongue:

I called this phenomenon "Popeye leg", so can relate 100%

The beastly custom RPS clutch in our purple LoveFab car is now starting to slip in 4th/5th, so I'm very interested in what wisdom you guys can impart!

Brian

Brian,
I was going to make sure you saw this thread too as it will be valuable to you.

I'll give the pedal mod a go this weekend and report back! Thanks guys!

Glad you guys have found a cheap and potentially effective solution.

Just to add more data here. The OS Giken clutch actually uses a very heavy clutch plate spring. However, they also implemented a custom slave cylinder (show in the top right below) that adds effective leverage, similar in concept to what you guys are doing. This is tuned to have precise and easily controllable engagement, stock-like pedal pressure, yet handle a lot of power. They also have a billet clutch fork assembly that won't break like the OEM fork sometimes can.

modp_0911_12_o%2Bproject_acura_nsx_final_drive_install%2Bos_giken_twin_plate_str_clutch_kit.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Another pic installed if interested

modp_0911_14_o%2Bproject_acura_nsx_final_drive_install%2Bclutch_slave_cylinder.jpg

Have you looked at the Exedy Organic Twin? I have one in my car, engages like stock with slightly heavier pedal and supposedly holds 420 ft/lbs to the wheels which is underrated like everything else Exedy makes so will likely hold well into the high 400's to low 500's torque.

Brian,
I was going to make sure you saw this thread too as it will be valuable to you.

I'll give the pedal mod a go this weekend and report back! Thanks guys!

I hope it works out for you. If not I'll buy you a beer.

- - - Updated - - -

"walking in circles" :smile::biggrin::eek::wink::tongue:

I called this phenomenon "Popeye leg", so can relate 100%

The beastly custom RPS clutch in our purple LoveFab car is now starting to slip in 4th/5th, so I'm very interested in what wisdom you guys can impart!

Brian

I've never heard Popeye leg and hope I never have to use it, but I've added it to the memory banks for use in the future. :smile:

Which one comes complete; the OSG or the Exedy?

I did the pedal mod last night. I was definitely sore this morning. 🙂
The hardest part was getting the pin back in for sure at the end.
Got to finally test it out tonight. Had to keep working with the adjustment but have it 95% there now.
The verdict on pedal pressure? Wow. Just wow. I swear it's almost lighter than the stock clutch. It's actually going to take me time to get used to it. Haha.

I find it odd that my RPS clutch has been fairly easy to engage since initial install. It has always been light. It's either on or off, no in between.chatters a bit if you keep your foot on clutch but that's it....

- - - Updated - - -

I find it odd that my RPS clutch has been fairly easy to engage since initial install. It has always been light. It's either on or off, no in between.Chatters a bit if you keep your foot on clutch but that's it....

Glad it worked out for you. It's almost impossible to believe that barely moving the hole makes such a difference.

Oki-boy I'm pretty sure rps changed the clutch up at some point. So depending when you purchased yours may be different.

The pressure plate used by RPS and Comptech are heavy (a Sachs unit), but they are good clutches. If you're looking to make a change to a clutch and flywheel package that is smooth to engage, lightweight, and have a factory like pedal effort, check out our Sport Clutch lineup. The Sport 275 and 350 are our most popular with over 500 of these clutches in NSXes around the world. These use the same high quality pressure plate made in Japan by Honda's OEM supplier. They offer smooth engagement. The 275 has factory pedal effort, the 350 only 10% pressure over factory. We also offer a Hybrid style disc for more aggressive setups. If you're looking for a twin option, we also offer the Exedy Twin Organic. You can find the complete line up here:
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/dpp/clutch-guide

The 275 has factory pedal effort, the 350 only 10% pressure over factory.

That's odd. I have a Sport 350 and was surprised how much lighter a friend's stock clutch was. He has an '01 and I have an '00. I like the Sport 350 and the pedal effort doesn't bother me but I would say it is considerably stiffer than the factory single disc.

The pressure plate used by RPS and Comptech are heavy (a Sachs unit), but they are good clutches. If you're looking to make a change to a clutch and flywheel package that is smooth to engage, lightweight, and have a factory like pedal effort, check out our Sport Clutch lineup. The Sport 275 and 350 are our most popular with over 500 of these clutches in NSXes around the world. These use the same high quality pressure plate made in Japan by Honda's OEM supplier. They offer smooth engagement. The 275 has factory pedal effort, the 350 only 10% pressure over factory. We also offer a Hybrid style disc for more aggressive setups. If you're looking for a twin option, we also offer the Exedy Twin Organic. You can find the complete line up here:
Why isn't the total weight listed for the SoS clutches? That is pertinent information! I personally want as little rotating weight as possible. Sure someone can read and extrapolate that. 11lbs lighter and 19lbs lighter, but there is a weight row. :D

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Why isn't the total weight listed for the SoS clutches? That is pertinent information! I personally want as little rotating weight as possible. Sure someone can read and extrapolate that. 11lbs lighter and 19lbs lighter, but there is a weight row. :D

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Good suggestion. We updated the site with weight on the chart including the factory clutches. Please check it out:

Why isn't the total weight listed for the SoS clutches? That is pertinent information! I personally want as little rotating weight as possible. Sure someone can read and extrapolate that. 11lbs lighter and 19lbs lighter, but there is a weight row. :DSent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
It's more about the Moment of Inertia. It is possible to have a heavier flywheel perform better if the weight is concentrated in the middle, unlike a gyroscope.

I can strongly advise against the SOS/RPS Carbon Clutch.

I am sure there are other owners who will say the same.

Keeping in mind i was probably around 400bhp at the time, I had to send it back to be rebuilt as it was slipping with probably less than 2000 miles on it. I'm not alone either.

LoveFab sells a Excedy clutch which i think is a exclusive to them. Apparently it's smooth and holds similar power to the Carbon Carbon.
I came from the RPS so I can sympathize with the OP and CMC140. I currently have the SOS twin carbon @ 639whp and when it goes I will detune and go with the organic 425 or the Sport 500.

The couple Exedy and one RPS I've driven were horrible. I know they make different models, but hard to be open minded after those experiences.

Stock weight is nice and light, but I don't like the feel and high engagement point.

Two clutches I can endorse are SOS (350 I think is what I drove, worked well) and the CT Powergrip (I have PG2 with about 30k CTSC miles on it, LOVE the feel - easy to modulate, but pedal is a bit stiff/heavy).

Last edited:
My RPS/SOS twin carbon clutch is going bad. Which clutch would you guys recommend? I have lovefab turbo. 550rwhp. TIA

Can the OS Giken STR2C clutch cope with 550rwhp?

Last edited:
I have just placed an order for OS Giken Racing clutch for the NSX, will keep you guys posted after i have installed it.

Hello group, great discussion on clutches, and very interesting to read about the modifications to decrease the weight of the peddle feel.
I have a 1991 JDM NSX, that I have heard it is often worth upgrading the clutch, due to how often the OEM one wears out. The car is stock, and I do not intend to add any power to the car. My interest is in upgrading the clutch more for durability and longevity without being a hardcore racing clutch.
Based on that, do most of you prefer the OS Giken?
Thanks a bunch.

I tried the OS Giken STR2C on my 400whp NSX. It wasn't a stiff clutch and the grip was very strong (so it might be a great clutch for track driving) but it's very noisy when the clutch is depressed and the engagement is so sharp that it's painful to drive in traffic or when stopping on an incline (which happens a lot here in San Francisco). I moved to a CT powergrip clutch and am much happier with it - good grip and very smooth engagement though it's a bit too stiff and the OEM clutch has much better pedal feel.

OS Giken is much more smooth and lighter than an SoS.

Last edited:
I will be going with the Exedy twin organic clutch.... If CT still made the saches clutch I probably would go with that.

Back