• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Switching from CTSC to Turbo

I'm currently switching my CTSC to a turbo, but my friend here locally is buying my ctsc. I want to make sure she has everything she needs for the swap. When I got my car it was running really lean, so I didnt want to take any chances. I went with a walbro, AEM EMS 2, and ID1000 injectors and went back to a stock FPR. Removed the fuel management from comptech. I placed them in a box somewhere, but since I was having fuel issues, I recommended to her to get a AEM FIC instead of using the old FMU from the whipple. What other things should she be needing? It is currently a high boost CTSC, but she intends on running the lower boost, assuming I can source the pulley. Will a FIC and a aftermarket FPR do the trick to handle her fueling needs? If I remembered correctly, she doesnt need aftermarket injectors for the low boost pulley... correct me if I'm wrong. Another thing worth mentioning is my car is a 1996, and hers is a pre 95. If anyone can let me know if I'm missing something, I want it to be a smooth transition for her. Thank you

If you are using an FIC, then you want to use larger injectors and either the factory FPR or an aftermarket 1:1 FPR. I had to switch to an aftermarket regulator but later realized I still had the fuel-pump resistor bypassed; if you use the fuel-pump resistor as in the factory configuration then the factory FPR may handle the flow from an uprated fuel pump; if you have a factory fuel pump, it should be no problem.

Is your friend's car OBD2?

If you are using an FIC, then you want to use larger injectors and either the factory FPR or an aftermarket 1:1 FPR. I had to switch to an aftermarket regulator but later realized I still had the fuel-pump resistor bypassed; if you use the fuel-pump resistor as in the factory configuration then the factory FPR may handle the flow from an uprated fuel pump; if you have a factory fuel pump, it should be no problem.

Is your friend's car OBD2?

That's interesting...

When you say the fuel pump resistor do you mean the silver metal box?

What does it actually do? why do you bypass it?

Mine is bypassed as i was told to, not knowing why.

Why would you plug it back in again?

Yes the resistor is the silver box with fins. It reduced voltage to the fuel pump unless the fuel-pump-resistor relay bypasses the resistor to supply full voltage to the fuel pump. The intent is to reduce noise from the fuel pump in low-demand situations (i.e., below 4k rpm). It is commonly bypassed to eliminate any potential nonlinearity you would have to tune around; or to overcome a failing fuel pump; or, I think, because some fuel pumps don't work well with a reduced voltage. I would plug it back in again if I were trying to use the factory FPR, which cannot handle the flow of a pump receiving full voltage at idle (where consumption is lowest).

Back