• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dan's Simple Build Thread -- Nothing fancy to see here

Hey guys! Been a member for a while, had a 91 NSX, which I sold and really just regretted getting rid of ever since.

yw4ubA0.jpg

I decided to start a build thread to document my slow progress as it happens, and really to keep a log of the changes going forward. This build isn't anything you guys haven't seen before -- probably won't get too crazy, but who knows!

I ended up picking up this one locally. The seller took really good care of the car mechanically. I took a real long time vetting different options to get here:

jNacTYL.jpg

There were already a lot of things that were done to the car that I really liked, including the NSX-R replica spoiler, headers, exhaust, suspension, carbon fiber accents here and there...the one thing that really bugged me though was the tan interior.

This will probably change eventually, but not wanting to spend a small fortune on sourcing parts, I decided to color everything black myself with RIT and vinyl dye.

Here's the original tan interior:

QXamQFV.jpg

The removal process begins:

sXWGueu.jpg

KRUfNRU.jpg

My weapons of choice for the carpet:

kzt71gi.jpg

r2hQY6O.jpg

This was the scary part, but at the end of the day if it didn't work, I figured I would just buy new carpet anyway:

o5LIFEN.jpg

9H10vea.jpg

Fortunately, it turned out really well -- the color was solid black all the way through. Very interested in seeing how this holds up over time. Been a couple months now, so far so good:

55JGPpc.jpg

b6F2vJG.jpg

Next up were the door, door cards and peeling window switch trim, which turned out really good:

IDxlrLp.jpg

0gQ8sZP.jpg

BAfpU3E.jpg

Now fast forward to today...I finally received my new seat covers from Interior-Innovations. It took a while, and communication through the process wasn't the best, but I don't think pricing could be beat.

In my previous NSX, I ordered from LeatherSeats.com, which cost me about $1200. Thinking I could get a better deal locally, I shopped around custom upholstery shops. Upon seeing the car, most of them were trying to charge $1500 and as high as $2000.

I paid about half of what I did from LeatherSeats.com by going with Interior-Innovations. Shockingly enough, in comparison...the leather quality is MUCH better. It's thicker. The red stitching is also more prominent. The perforated alcantara centers are also a night and day difference between the two. LeatherSeats.com felt a lot thinner in comparison to what I just received. The fact that it cost me about half is icing on the cake.

POMX63o.jpg

eWTpr77.jpg

Before I continue singing their praises, I'm definitely going to put these on over the weekend and see how they actually fit. It could be bad...but strictly from a materials perspective, it's higher quality...

Where did you get the door insert red color material? was it hard to put on?

And for the seat covers, can you show a picture of the alcantara? did you go with black or grey?

Thanks for sharing the info! these are great tips.
Thank you sir!

Where did you get the door insert red color material? was it hard to put on?

And for the seat covers, can you show a picture of the alcantara? did you go with black or grey?

Yup, as soon as I get them on this weekend I'll take some pics of the alcantara. I actually went to JoAnn Fabric, they had 40% off suede. It wasn't hard to take the inserts out, just a matter of taking off the door. There's little tabs on the inside of the door that hold the inserts in. You just bend the tabs out, wrap it in material and put the inserts back in and bend the tabs back.

ill hopefully have time this weekend to do this!

Good God. I got a start late in the afternoon with the drivers seat. I'll be honest -- I don't remember it being this hard. My hands know true pain, and I only managed to finish one seat. :eek:

Apologies for the poor photo; I'll take more tomorrow hopefully after I finish the other seat.

sKiNbt5l.jpg

Last edited:
What a transformation. Very nice. I was under the assumption that interior innovation seats are synthetic leather though and not real? Hence the higher price of leather seats.com. Are they real leather? The seat covers they list on Amazon for corvettes say they are synthetic leather.

What a transformation. Very nice. I was under the assumption that interior innovation seats are synthetic leather though and not real? Hence the higher price of leather seats.com. Are they real leather? The seat covers they list on Amazon for corvettes say they are synthetic leather.

Thank you!

Yeah, they do have synthetic leather options as well as real leather options. You can customize your options:

http://interior-innovations.com/index.php/welcome/options

I think the downside to them is communication and navigating their site. It's not nearly as easy or simple as Leather-Seats.com, but for the price, I was willing to deal with it.

In the end, they fit really well and having had both, I definitely prefer the Interior-Innovations.com quality over Leather-Seats.com

Did you opt for the real leather or the synthetic? Details please.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

But either way it was a marvelous transformation. Those ivory colored interiors alaways made me hurl. We have that color leather in my 2010 mdx because my wife had to have it.:rolleyes: It shows errrrrrrverything......

Oh, right -- I went with the real leather option as opposed to the synthetic. Synthetic is about $200 cheaper than what I paid based on the quotes I was given.

Mine was black leather with nova suede perforated black inserts and red stitch.

I agree in regards to the Ivory -- if you could keep it clean, I'm sure it would look fine, but everything was showing up on it. I'd scrub it like crazy and the marks were still there. It's a pain to maintain.

Did you opt for the real leather or the synthetic? Details please.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

But either way it was a marvelous transformation. Those ivory colored interiors alaways made me hurl. We have that color leather in my 2010 mdx because my wife had to have it.:rolleyes: It shows errrrrrrverything......

So, fellas -- I'm not quite sure where I want to take my build right now.

I'm in love with Teej's car:

6e1f30ceb8c8e9b79a4f3f0f560cf495.jpg

Just absolutely gorgeous -- so it's got me thinking about doing an 02+ conversion.

At the same time, I could spend marginally less, get some coilovers, a different set of wheels, or boost.

Decisions, decisions.

For now, she's in the shop getting ready for some paint:

dRBjUGEl.jpg

What would you guys do, given the options?

Attachments

• dRBjUGE.jpg
    dRBjUGE.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 737
  • dRBjUGEm.jpg
    dRBjUGEm.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
So, fellas -- I'm not quite sure where I want to take my build right now.

I'm in love with Teej's car:

6e1f30ceb8c8e9b79a4f3f0f560cf495.jpg

Just absolutely gorgeous -- so it's got me thinking about doing an 02+ conversion.

At the same time, I could spend marginally less, get some coilovers, a different set of wheels, or boost.

Decisions, decisions.

For now, she's in the shop getting ready for some paint:

dRBjUGEl.jpg

What would you guys do, given the options?
Nah,,, keep it how you have it. It is simple and elegant with just the right touches of attitude. I like yours better. Less is more......

Nah,,, keep it how you have it. It is simple and elegant with just the right touches of attitude. I like yours better. Less is more......

Well thank you!

I might focus on some interior stuff that I want to take care of still. We'll see how it looks after paint and I can figure out what the next step is.

Your repainting it? Same color? I love those 02 rocker panels on your car. I wish I went that route instead of the played out Stacey's. If I had to do my car all over again, it would be bone stock with power adders which I have, paired with suspension and wheel upgrades, which I also have. The body of the nsx is a tough bull to take by the horns...

Your repainting it? Same color? I love those 02 rocker panels on your car. I wish I went that route instead of the played out Stacey's. If I had to do my car all over again, it would be bone stock with power adders which I have, paired with suspension and wheel upgrades, which I also have. The body of the nsx is a tough bull to take by the horns...

I agree on the rocker panels -- I had Stacy's on my last NSX, which weren't terrible, but I also said to myself if I were to do it again, I'd just go 02+ for simplicity. I'm painting the roof to match the rest of the car, and getting the wheels done in a different color.

The NSX is a very tough car to start modding, especially in good taste.

Really loving where this build is heading Daniel! Awesome job on the interior refresh, that black dye had me worried as I was reading but then seeing the after pictures, I let out a sigh of relief. Props on the OEM 02 sides and nice plate too lmao. Too bad you aren't actually compton-ass cuz they we can hang out at the so cal meets. Keep up the good work man.

Really loving where this build is heading Daniel! Awesome job on the interior refresh, that black dye had me worried as I was reading but then seeing the after pictures, I let out a sigh of relief. Props on the OEM 02 sides and nice plate too lmao. Too bad you aren't actually compton-ass cuz they we can hang out at the so cal meets. Keep up the good work man.

Thank you sir! Trust me, I was nervous too and really had some carpet options lined up if it didn't work out! Man I would love to hang out with NSX owners out here, but I don't know where they're all at! SoCal seems like the place to be. I guess nice weather year-round is a good place to own an NSX vs here where I'm not letting it see the light of day until the first day of Spring.

nooooo, keep the pop ups. The grass is always greener on the other side.

True!

I always go back and forth on this; some days I'm satisfied with pop-ups, other days I want something different and modern. I guess the real solution would be to buy two NSX's but I'm not as baller as a lot of others on this board, haha.

Probably going to wait to get it back from paint before I decide to do anything crazy. My painter is super slow, so I'm kind of hesitant to get something major done anyway as he might sit on it all season. When I had an RX7, he did the whole thing but it took him six months. Summer blew by and I didn't even get to enjoy until next season. He's a perfectionist though, and backed up with work so I get it.

Winter can't be over soon enough though. I'm itching to drive the car.

Back