• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caveat emptor JH4NA1158MT000415

Someone just tried to list this NSX for $30,000 and indicated it was never damaged and he had all service records from the dealer who sold it to him in 2012. He listed it as a red/black '91 but it began its life as a black NSX.

Now he may not have known it but this is how it looked before he purchased it:

image.jpg

I deleted his ad based upon the misrepresentation irrespective of whether he was aware of it being a prior salvage.

Last edited:
Just one of those door dings from a parking lot. That's what happens when you don't park away from everybody.

Last edited:
I'm amazed someone was able to make it look decent..

Here is a partial description from the deleted ad. I really doubt he knew the history especially since the car is now red but was black originally:

"Details
This 1991 NSX is all OEM except for the wheels and window tints. I purchased this car in 2012 with 97k form a dealer who presented proof all maintenance (including timing belt) was done at 90k. It has been garaged and to my knowledge never damaged, never tracked, and always cherished. The paint is original. "

Here is a partial description from the deleted ad. I really doubt he knew the history especially since the car is now red but was black originally:

"Details
This 1991 NSX is all OEM except for the wheels and window tints. I purchased this car in 2012 with 97k form a dealer who presented proof all maintenance (including timing belt) was done at 90k. It has been garaged and to my knowledge never damaged, never tracked, and always cherished. The paint is original. "

Not a lawyer like you but if he admitted the car was originally black and then put "paint is original" one would consider that misleading :)

good job on catching this!

Not a lawyer like you but if he admitted the car was originally black and then put "paint is original" one would consider that misleading :)

good job on catching this!

Normally the skeptic in me assumes that the op is intentionally misstating the facts. For some reason I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and don't think he knew the true history or its original color. I hope my assumption is correct since I would hate to think this ad was intentionally false. I deleted it within minutes of seeing it because my fear was this car was going to sell in under 15 minutes given current market pricing and his ad asked "only" $30k for an original, undamaged '91. I am waiting to see if he contacts me since he hasn't logged back in since he posted the ad and may not know I deleted it.

that's why a good ppi should always been done!

hopefully he really didn't know the background of this car but if he didn't, why would he put a price tag of $30k?

exactly the price for the car as advertised is too low....scammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmohhhhhhhh

For those who don't do FB, the owner had it listed in NSX Owners' Group page with the same description of no accidents/damage and original paint. However, the photos he posted of his red NSX showed the front badge was missing and the hood at a minimum obviously repainted. Also, the vin sticker on the door jamb had remnants of the original black paint from when it was repainted red after being rebuilt.

He appeared credible when he indicated he was unaware of its salvage history and he produced a "clean" title from Pennsylvania. He also purchased a Carfax showing prior damage after learning of the history of the car in the last 48 hours.

However, he became very defensive and misdirected his anger when proof of its history was provided to him and he appeared to be in denial and then mad at me for pointing out the documented salvage history. He also questioned the photos and links I had provided on FB.

Ultimately, he deleted his listing from the NSX Owners' Group facebook page and it is left to be seen whether it shows up for sale again and whether the true history is included next time.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Normally the skeptic in me assumes that the op is intentionally misstating the facts. For some reason I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and don't think he knew the true history or its original color. I hope my assumption is correct since I would hate to think this ad was intentionally false. I deleted it within minutes of seeing it because my fear was this car was going to sell in under 15 minutes given current market pricing and his ad asked "only" $30k for an original, undamaged '91. I am waiting to see if he contacts me since he hasn't logged back in since he posted the ad and may not know I deleted it.

He knew because I PM'd him telling him the car was previously destroyed and offered him $12k for it. He replied on 9/17 that he and his friend knew because they had to work on aligning the fenders and headlights.

And this is why PRIME is the best automotive enthusiast website. :biggrin:

He knew because I PM'd him telling him the car was previously destroyed and offered him $12k for it. He replied on 9/17 that he and his friend knew because they had to work on aligning the fenders and headlights.

And this is why PRIME is the best automotive enthusiast website. :biggrin:

Damn. I wish I had known yesterday so I could have skewered him on fb.

Last edited:
So he listed as having "original paint" and yet in IMs with a potential buyer the other night says he had it repainted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Geez, Renee, did you really think you could piss on our collective backs and say it was raining?

Last edited:
I would love to know who fixed it also?:rolleyes:.....because ya kinda know how that will go....

And the bullshitter gets outed even more. He was still piecing together this Frankenstein experiment in July:

image.jpg

Last edited:
invalid link....

I really think we owe it to the community to get a chain of title here. (Yeah, I know, I am basically asking Bob to research this. Sorry man!)
Seems to me that the people involved in this may continue to use their skills to do more repair jobs and therefore selling to our group.
Does anybody have the full CarFax? Are there dealers listed? Title numbers? States?

Just a quick observation that may or may not be valid. I don't think a low 1991 vin number like 415 would have the ground strap at the center of the firewall. I'm positive the 1021 did not and I know vin 800 something does not. Does anyone know specifically when that was added? If anyone looks at this car I'd make sure the vin stamped on the chassis matches in additions to a million other things, before purchasing. my 2 cents

Just a quick observation that may or may not be valid. I don't think a low 1991 vin number like 415 would have the ground strap at the center of the firewall. I'm positive the 1021 did not and I know vin 800 something does not. Does anyone know specifically when that was added? If anyone looks at this car I'd make sure the vin stamped on the chassis matches in additions to a million other things, before purchasing. my 2 cents

I would not dismiss the possibility that the seller is using a picture of the engine bay from a different vehicle. Prime candidate for a top-to-bottom PPI for any serious buyer IMHO.

Back