• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to GA, want to avoid all the freaking tax

So I am having to move to GA from FL, and I am finding out registering your cars is a complete ripp off. It looks like I could have to pay almost $9,000 between the Audi and the NSX.

I have a business in FL (home business) so I was thinking I would register both the cars to the business and keep the cars registered in Florida.

Anyone else done something similar? Any advice.

Wow what a kick in the balls. I was hoping you were just reading something in the taxes wrong since it is a title transfer, not purchase but it looks like you are right. I am actually considering a move to GA as well and we just bought a used 2012 MDX 2 months ago that will need nearly $2000 in taxes to GA if we transfer. Luckily the '92 NSX only has a $11k tax value.

Wow what a kick in the balls. I was hoping you were just reading something in the taxes wrong since it is a title transfer, not purchase but it looks like you are right. I am actually considering a move to GA as well and we just bought a used 2012 MDX 2 months ago that will need nearly $2000 in taxes to GA if we transfer. Luckily the '92 NSX only has a $11k tax value.

But it is what the State of Georgia feels the car is worth. Whichever is higher. So they might say your 92 is worth $40K from what I understand. It's BS.

But it is what the State of Georgia feels the car is worth. Whichever is higher. So they might say your 92 is worth $40K from what I understand. It's BS.

I just came across this searching the interwebs on Georgia TAVT valuations.

"The state of Georgia, for example, uses Kelley Blue Book for tax purposes when assessing the value of used cars purchased from private sellers."

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/everything-is-a-little-more-difficult-when-you-have-a-f-1537132153

Also, in the comments section there is a guy who stated..."I paid 73K for my NSX, the "taxable" value came in at 48K"

I just came across this searching the interwebs on Georgia TAVT valuations.

"The state of Georgia, for example, uses Kelley Blue Book for tax purposes when assessing the value of used cars purchased from private sellers."

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/everything-is-a-little-more-difficult-when-you-have-a-f-1537132153

Also, in the comments section there is a guy who stated..."I paid 73K for my NSX, the "taxable" value came in at 48K"

KBB says my nsx is worth 53-63K and its a 2000. From private though only 50K

I am from Florida and have lived in Georgia and now North Carolina.
I do not recall being surprised by the Georgia vehicle taxes BUT I am disappointed with what I pay in NC.
I have also been audited in the past for taxes!
If you were in the Military you would have options.
Look at an LLC or trust in Florida BUT don't stretch the tax laws as the gov't response can be destabilizing.

I am from Florida and have lived in Georgia and now North Carolina.
I do not recall being surprised by the Georgia vehicle taxes BUT I am disappointed with what I pay in NC.
I have also been audited in the past for taxes!
If you were in the Military you would have options.
Look at an LLC or trust in Florida BUT don't stretch the tax laws as the gov't response can be destabilizing.

The law changed in 2013. It's a total scam.

Get this - if you lease in ga you have to pay tax on the entire vehicle. Wtf!

I'm not going to do anything illegal, just seeing what my options are.

Last edited:
Say it isn't so!

M.P. - is this move coming soon. Hoping you will be staying in Raleigh.

John

The law changed in 2013. It's a total scam.

Get this - if you lease in ga you have to pay tax on the entire vehicle. Wtf!

I'm not going to do anything illegal, just seeing what my options are.
Ps-I'm from Jacksonville and always loved St. Augustine, Anastasia, Blow hole (surfing)...

M.P. - is this move coming soon. Hoping you will be staying in Raleigh.

John

Hi John. It is likely that it would happen by the end of the year. Robin is in graduate school at Emory and we are both tired of living apart. There is a decent chance we will end up back in Raleigh and I plan converting the house here into a rental unit, so I'm sure I'll be around from time to time.

Wait wait let me get this straight. If I buy a vehicle in another state that I currently live in, pay taxes to that state, then 6 months or whatever time later I move to GA I have to pay sales tax on my vehicles to GA?

Wait wait let me get this straight. If I buy a vehicle in another state that I currently live in, pay taxes to that state, then 6 months or whatever time later I move to GA I have to pay sales tax on my vehicles to GA?
Yes and no. Yes you will have to pay the tax if you move to GA, but it isn't a sales tax per se. The way I'm looking at it, it is more like lifetime property tax. Instead of paying property tax on the vehicle each year when renewing registration, you pay a single tax based on the value of the car at the time you title it. Then each year, you only pay the inspection/registration fee w/o any property tax. More info can be found here...https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/renewing-vehicle-registration

Last edited:
Yes and no. Yes you will have to pay the tax if you move to GA, but it isn't a sales tax per se. The way I'm looking at it, it is more like lifetime property tax. Instead of paying property tax on the vehicle each year when renewing registration, you pay a single tax based on the value of the car at the time you title it. Then each year, you only pay the inspection/registration fee w/o any property tax. More info can be found here...https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/renewing-vehicle-registration

Right, they eliminated sales tax, but they hit you with an ad valorum tax. Basically the same thing. It's bs.

You would think states would encourage you to move there, not screw you with huge taxes.

So GA used to have an ad valorum where your registration was small, but every year you would get hit with a tax on the value of the car. It was like $600 on the nsx. Now they did away with that, hit you all upfront and then you pay a flat fee every year.. $25 or so.

If you live in ga and buy a car in ga, it's no different than most other states.i get it. Though the lease is criminal.

If you are moving here from another state, I personally think it's robbery to tax me for something I've already paid tax on a few months ago. I'm ok with a small registration fee.. but 7% of the vehicle value is criminal.

Last edited:
Back