• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A little 2017 NSX DNA injection for my NA2

OK, well it's not as exciting as the title makes it sound but this is a really cool, simple mod. I've thought for the longest time that it would be great if my NSX had a cargo net, like my Prelude, but one was never offered. I've looked at generic fitment nets but never found one that would look like it was OEM - until now :smile: I discovered that the cargo net for the 2017 NSX is a near perfect fit and looks great! It was only $38 on eBay so it was a low-risk venture to try to adapt it for use in its older, but distinguished, brother.

Despite what is says on the package, no installation instructions are available from the eStore.

I remembered how the cargo net was installed in my Prelude and decided to mimic that, as closely as possible. That meant a trip to my favorite hardware store to pick up some assorted pieces. In the photo below, only the hook was supplied in the hardware bag, so the other pieces were purchased:

a>

First,do a dry fit by positioning the net on the rear wall (nearest the tail lights) to determine where to make 3/8" diameter holes for the hooks. You want tension on the elastic lanyards but not overly so. You need just enough tension to hold the net fully open. When I found the proper locations,I screwed a short sheet metal screw through the carpet to make a pilot hole. Now, partially peel back the weatherstripping around the trunk opening and remove the 4 fasteners that are holding the rear carpet piece in place. Pull the carpet away from the wall far enough to drill or cut the holes for the hooks:

157hsba.jpg

The hooks and neoprene washers go on the outside of the carpet and the rubber grommet, washers and screws will be hidden behind the carpet. Tighten the screws down and put everything back together:

Now, just string the net lanyards over the hooks and you are done!

And the coolest bit is that there can be no doubt that this is quality OEM Honda :biggrin:

Attachments

• Honda.jpg
    Honda.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 182
Very nicely done, and clean, it looks like it came with it from factory.

It's a really simple installation. It took me less than an hour

- - - Updated - - -

I bought one! What a great idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get the trunk matt?

I got the mat from HRANT, here on prime. I believe that he once put an embroidered NSX logo on there but got hassled by Honda, so he deleted that bit. It's hard to see in my photos but the plate is a "NSX" engraved carpet tag that I found on eBay. It came with the engraved area filled with black paint but I went over it with spa yellow touch up paint, for a more custom look. Here's a closeup of the tag:
11m6u5h.jpg

Last edited:
nice detailed write up - thanks for sharing! I might be a little too afraid to drill holes in to my trunk though :(

No worries. You just drill thru the carpet - no metal is violated. Just pull the carpet away from the rear wall before drilling or cutting the holes for the hooks and there is no chance of damage to the metalwork. I put a 2x4 backup block behind the carpet before I drilled the holes. If you ever want to remove the net, the holes should be pretty unnoticeable or you could put plastic cover plugs in, to fill the holes. It's a low impact project :smile:

Last edited:
I can't believe I found a trunk mat on eBay from an Acura dealer in NY!

I am awaiting the cargo net and I will be good to go! Thank you so much for the info and idea. Love this forum!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

[MENTION=31515]Kenwould[/MENTION], if that is a real zanardi mat it is extremely hard to find. I've been looking for one for less than 500 bucks. What dealer did you get it from? [MENTION=24014]clean_green[/MENTION], great work as always. A nifty idea for the trunk with some new swagger...

Here is the link for the item. I am still stunned that I was able to get it. It took me much longer to get my new visors!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361729770061

Genuine Mat, Trunk (black/red) 08P11-SL0-211A

i don't know if they have any more but it looks and fits great. The seller was Acura of Westchester in NY

Some of of the bigger nsx dealers of old might have some old stock laying around in the dark recesses of the parts dept ..also try calling Greenwich acura in CT.

Ok. Install complete. Great direction! 3/8 hole was right on. Made my own backing using 10mm bolts with rubber grommets and washers. Looks great!

There's more than one way to skin a cat! Glad you like it. It's nice for stowing spray cans of window cleaner etc. so they don't roll around in the trunk during spirited turns :)

Ordered myself one the other day, thanks for the idea.

Here is the link for the item. I am still stunned that I was able to get it. It took me much longer to get my new visors!https://www.ebay.com/itm/361729770061Genuine Mat, Trunk (black/red) 08P11-SL0-211A i don't know if they have any more but it looks and fits great. The seller was Acura of Westchester in NY
Rats!!! You bought probably the last one in existence. I hope you know that you could sell it for 600 bucks tomorrow. Great find!

- - - Updated - - -

Some of of the bigger nsx dealers of old might have some old stock laying around in the dark recesses of the parts dept ..also try calling Greenwich acura in CT.
I will give it a try. Thanks Doc...

Here is the link for the item. I am still stunned that I was able to get it. It took me much longer to get my new visors!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361729770061

Genuine Mat, Trunk (black/red) 08P11-SL0-211A

i don't know if they have any more but it looks and fits great. The seller was Acura of Westchester in NY

Great find! Always makes me smile to see what comes out of the attics of dealerships.

Just got my cargo net in the mail today. Talk about serious packaging.
3e7e8d95d1b792e6a725be1dc682ddb7.jpg

Great and simple mod. Going to do it. Thanks again, Primates!

hello all,

was wondering how people are getting on ordering these? I tried to order some parts from a 2017 nsx and I'm being asked for a VIN number to prove I own one?

lol when Acura runs out of new rear cargo nets...:wink:

Great idea!
When I look up the part number another part number comes up with it that says hardware kit. Anyone know what that is? (08L96-T6N-200R1 Hardware Kit - Acura)

Mike

Back