• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Article on Autoblog

Because that's the proper way to do it, and that's what a reputable shop will charge (assuming you do the water pump and any necessary "problem" coolant lines at the same time).

Hmm, I've had Dwight at Foreign Tech, highly known and respected here in South Florida, do that service, and it was engine-in, and not nearly that much $$. I wonder if Nabil at First Class Automotive does engine-in or -out.

that's what a reputable shop will charge (assuming you do the water pump and any necessary "problem" coolant lines at the same time).

Higher cost does not translate to reputation. There are plenty of very reputable NSX Tech's where the cost of the TB/WP service, (which includes seals, hoses, valve adjustment, crank shaft pulley, plugs, alignment, and whatever other items from my list which was completed this past July, was not $3 or 4k.)

After tax, labor I paid a little less than $2,500

Chris @ Flatirons
Paul Z. @ PPA

2 of the best NSX tech's in the country in my opinion.

Larry B does it in.......he 's a ninja...

Higher cost does not translate to reputation. There are plenty of very reputable NSX Tech's where the cost of the TB/WP service, (which includes seals, hoses, valve adjustment, crank shaft pulley, plugs, alignment, and whatever other items from my list which was completed this past July, was not $3 or 4k.)

After tax, labor I paid a little less than $2,500

Chris @ Flatirons
Paul Z. @ PPA

2 of the best NSX tech's in the country in my opinion.

I'm in Southern California, which probably affects pricing. That said, I've been quoted at over $5k by an Acura dealer, $4k if they did it with the engine in. Obviously I would never pay that myself, but people looking into these cars should be presented with the median scenario, not the "best case possible" scenario, in my mind. I know there are fantastic techs who work for fantastic prices, but not everyone is an enthusiast who will do the digging necessary to find those guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, hopefully we can get back on topic to the article linked above, there's a lot of content not related to timing belt services. :)

Actually, with the exception of the "engine out" and cost of the timing belt and water pump service, this is a very well written article. BTW Most Acura dealers book this service in @ 12 hours.

Thanks for sharing.

Bram

Nice article....

I really enjoyed your article. I learned a few new things about the NSX. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments. It means a lot coming from this crowd, I am a relative newcomer to the NSX world.

Inspired by a hydroplane racing boat eh. Now I know why I like them so much!:ambivalence:

I thought that historical detail was cool, I hadn't heard it before conducting research for this article. The NSX design seems to always be linked to the F-16, never much else. For anyone curious, essentially all the facts came directly from historical Honda/Acura documentation, as well as a few period "first drive" magazine articles for a couple things. I would like to write a book on the NSX, one day.

Just a point of education, not a criticism. The correct phrase is "quote-unquote" not "quote-on-quote".

I enjoyed the article.

I've been out of college for two years, I guess I'm slipping. :D

Last edited:
Nice article. My local dealer, with its well-seasoned NSX tech, charges $2100 for TB/WP. Just adding another data point.

Well written article covering a lot of material that I haven't commonly seen elsewhere. Thanks for putting the time in to write that.

Very interesting facts that I did not know about the mistaken Acura badge. I believed someone on here has a very collectible piece of the Acura badge. Is Ed around :)
attachment.php

Nice article, thanks for sharing. Standing ovation to you for acknowledging this and to Honda for having the foresight and restraint to come up with the timeless trend-free design that still makes me walk into the garage every chance I get.

"The car's overall styling was intended to be "refined" like the rest of the vehicle, avoiding the trivialities and trends of its rivals; there were to be no side-strakes, air scoops, and huge fender flares here."

Oh, and great photos!!!

Nice article. My local dealer, with its well-seasoned NSX tech, charges $2100 for TB/WP. Just adding another data point.

Hi Bob! Would you mind PM'ing me your local dealer's # and the tech's name? Hard to believe that I would need a 3rd timing belt coming up in 2017 if I choose to stick to the 7-year rule, and as much as I'd prefer to take it to Larry's Ninja Land for the TB/WP, I'd like to have this as an option just in case.

Last edited:
Nice article, thanks for sharing. Standing ovation to you for acknowledging this and to Honda for having the foresight and restraint to come up with the timeless trend-free design that still makes me walk into the garage every chance I get.

Oh, and great photos!!!

Hi Bob! Would you mind PM'ing me your local dealer's # and the tech's name? Hard to believe that I would need a 3rd timing belt coming up in 2017 if I choose to stick to the 7-year rule, and as much as I'd prefer to take it to Larry's Ninja Land for the TB/WP, I'd like to have this as an option just in case.

Thanks, and congrats on 20 years of ownership if my math is correct. :)

Thanks, and congrats on 20 years of ownership if my math is correct. :)

Ha, thanks but - just 3 years for me. I'm the 2nd owner of mine but the 1st owner did the 1st timing belt change at Larry's Ninja shop 17 years (and ~15k miles) after it rolled out of the showroom in 2010.

In Larry B I Trust!

- - - Updated - - -

My car is #207 . Let me know if I have a winning badge.

- - - Updated - - -

I just took a crash course on Ayrton Senna. I watched the Universal Documentary, Ayrton Senna The Right To Win and other tributes. I know I was late to the game but I was fascinated and saddened by his short life. I look at my car differently every day now knowing that a man such as Senna drove a car just like mine and was instrumental in its development.

- - - Updated - - -

Rally great article!

Ha, thanks but - just 3 years for me. I'm the 2nd owner of mine but the 1st owner did the 1st timing belt change at Larry's Ninja shop 17 years (and ~15k miles) after it rolled out of the showroom in 2010.

Got it, still love your car - the wheels are a nice touch.

In Larry B I Trust!

- - - Updated - - -

My car is #207 . Let me know if I have a winning badge.

- - - Updated - - -

I just took a crash course on Ayrton Senna. I watched the Universal Documentary, Ayrton Senna The Right To Win and other tributes. I know I was late to the game but I was fascinated and saddened by his short life. I look at my car differently every day now knowing that a man such as Senna drove a car just like mine and was instrumental in its development.

- - - Updated - - -

Rally great article!

Thanks, and yes, it's nice to know the NSX coupe chassis is 100% Senna approved. He's much of the reason it ended up being as stiff as it is.

Back