• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sway bar, end links and coilovers

Hey suspension experts. I had a set of SOS sway bars recently installed and am getting some rubbing with the installed coilovers on the front (see attached image) due to the sway bar shifting over time.

I plan on installing a set of sway bar clamps to prevent the movement, but have also heard that reversing the end links could help here. I assume that means flipping it around so that it's on the inside of the bar? Would removing the spacer also be an option, or is it an integral part of the design?

O9knxc3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 118
A couple of observations -
1) it looks as though your suspension is under full compression, possibly to show us the tight clearance?
2) Your end links look good but really short.
3) Your spacers in that compressed stack look like they could be starting to bind. You want the links as vertical and perpendicular as possible to the where they are bolted. In this position both spacers need to be shortened.
4) lastly, if they sway bar is moving laterally on it's pivot points, you will never be able to keep your end links in column or the bar from rubbing against a coil over. Place a clamp around the sway bar on either side of a pivot so that it won't shift anymore. Then go about fixing those spacers on the end links.

A couple of observations -1) it looks as though your suspension is under full compression, possibly to show us the tight clearance?

No, this is just sitting in my garage. These are BC coilovers with swift springs, that (I believe) offer lower perch ride height adjustment.

Note: The car was recently lowered by my mechanic during a corner balance and after settling it's far too low for my liking, so I'll be raising it again shortly.

2) Your end links look good but really short.

Not clear what you mean by really short. Can you clarify?

3) Your spacers in that compressed stack look like they could be starting to bind. You want the links as vertical and perpendicular as possible to the where they are bolted. In this position both spacers need to be shortened.

Are you suggesting that the spacers be shaved down? Again, since this is not a compressed state, is the bar incorrectly installed?

4) lastly, if they sway bar is moving laterally on it's pivot points, you will never be able to keep your end links in column or the bar from rubbing against a coil over. Place a clamp around the sway bar on either side of a pivot so that it won't shift anymore. Then go about fixing those spacers on the end links.

Yes, clamps are on order... but I'm concerned that there are bigger issues here in the install...

I had the same issue with a stock sway bar and BC coilovers. All I had to do to fix it was loosen the bushing bolts, reposition the sway bay in dead center, and tighten it down again.

I am running BC coilovers with Swift springs too and I had my alignment and height set to NSX-R specs. When I added my Dali Trophy sway bar, The mounting pivots were grooved so there was no way that the sway bar could move latterly in the clamps. It was centered and it was going to stay that way.

As to the end link spacers, the heim joints like to work perpendicular and without any binding in their travel. You will see in your picture where they are not at 90 degrees and that puts a lot of stress on them. You don't need to "shave" down the existing spacers. You can simply replace them with thinner spacers or washers for that matter. From the looks of that one end link, you will need to shorten that top and bottom attachment points.

But I wouldn't touch the spacers until after you got that sway bar centered.

Thanks for the feedback folks. The clamps arrived today, so I'll get them installed and the bar centered tomorrow. I'll also be returning to NSX-R ride hight.

XiR3CMh.png

Will provide an update once all the above is done...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the lateral locks sure look pretty. ;)

XPkOaB4.jpg

Last edited:
I had the bar centered, clamps installed and the ride height raised to NSX-R height + re-alignment.

So far the car feels great, and with no evidence of rubbing. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Back