• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm sold...

Ya, the whole 60 day wait is total BS. You do realize they BAKE the paint at the factory!? Do you think the paint is going to get harder or adhere more by waiting?? My Huracan was finished assembly on a thursday, air freight to me on monday, fully wrapped on wednesday. No issues, even had one piece of film replaced, non issue. Maybe a Maaco paint job it might be an issue. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about chips in the first 60 days.

No NSX for me, took WAAAAY too long to reach market, and overpriced IMO (yes, there's a difference between overpriced and expensive). Just lost interest.

Well it heavily depends on how the car where painted but with modern paints being all water based they will likely cure out in days rather than two months.
I have heard of painted carbon needing to cure longer due to possibility of chemical reactions if you where to full enclose it.

I'm surprised McLaren hasn't yet worked out the kinks it isn't like they had zero production experience, they made plenty of SLR's to get the hang of it.
That said we get plenty of memo's from Maserati & Ferrari on issues bugs and problems that should have been fixed or spotted way earlier.

A fully documented and updated 12C or a slightly higher priced used 650S is a better deal than the 570S.

but the 570S is a lot more fun...

- - - Updated - - -

No NSX for me, took WAAAAY too long to reach market, and overpriced IMO (yes, there's a difference between overpriced and expensive). Just lost interest.

fair enough, have heard that sentiment a time or two before... :wink:

been on mclaren forums for a bit, def see the pros/cons obviously and was more intrigued with the 570s especially after the motortrend test. Im in no rush as the NSX is still in the 1st year of production and really wanting to see where it goes from here.

See issues on the early 12C and 570S. See issues on the early NSX. Come back with your findings. Might be too early to tell on the NC1 NSX but i'll bet it's a much shorter list. There's something to be said for the thousands of man hours and miles Honda put this car thru in 2015-2016. Most people don't realize this.

I sort of caught the 12c fever for a couple weeks.. staying up late watching reviews, reading mclarenlife and looking at classified ads. Good examples seem to be out there for $130k, and then dropping another $30k on upgraded turbos & a tune just up the road from here at EVOMS gets you to 850bhp, at potentially sub 3100lb. Which is crazy if the car is really as streetable as they say.

If it's late enough and delusional thinking takes over I that even sounds like a "bargain". [emoji3]

Then this saturday I took my '91 for my favorite twisty drive, with all that engaging analog bliss, and the feeling confirmed once again is that I wouldn't trade my NSX for anything else out there (at least not yet).

Thanks I saw that.. very cool. It looks like that pile of wiring takes 2 people to lift!

Did you see Tiff Needell soiling himself when the nannies took over in this one?
4min through 5min

https://youtu.be/oTPdfZ8nqc4
Yeah I remember another top gear review where Jeremy said the Mclaren just felt dull while the Ferrari was more driver direct.

I'm surprised McLaren hasn't yet worked out the kinks it isn't like they had zero production experience, they made plenty of SLR's to get the hang of it.

to be fair they had some real headaches with the paint on the SLR so maybe this is a lesson learnt from the experience and them exercising caution?

These "entertainment" based reviews place the greatest value on controlled power slides. McLarens have a complex series of button presses to turn the stability control completely off, which you must do to perform these slides for the camera, and that was apparently not done for the early 12C reviews. They do admit to lapping within 0.1 sec of the 458 in the video above, which is most telling. A well cared for, low mileage 12C could be a great exotic car "value", IF you lived near a McLaren dealer and you're a risk taker! I'd probably still choose the new NSX with a 4 year warranty however...

i think the points to be taken away from this video are that, The 12C is less confidence inspiring (even when not going for big slides), less playful, and less exhilarating than the 458, which i would absolutely agree with 100%.

the 570S however, is a reversal of the above opinion...

i think the points to be taken away from this video are that, The 12C is less confidence inspiring (even when not going for big slides), less playful, and less exhilarating than the 458, which i would absolutely agree with 100%.

the 570S however, is a reversal of the above opinion...

i honestly think mclaren is doing all the right things and obviously their bread&butter are these supercars. Sadly the reports of the paint bubbling and coolant tank leaks etc made me more hesitant, you would think they would learn from the 12c seeing as they are all so similar

Part of what drew me to NSX was Honda's reputation for quality and reliability (and the huge dealer/service network).

That said, with any "first year of production" performance car, some glitches are to be expected. Bummer for early 570S adopters if they've had to deal with some issues, but I'd reserve judgment on broader "quality" issues for a year or more. Frankly, if I were an affected 570S owner I'd try to be a good sport about it IF (and ONLY if) McLaren stood behind the cars 100% and made it as painless as possible to deal with these issues (pick-up / drop off car, maybe throw in a free oil change or some other token gesture). On some level, I would have preferred it if I had the NSX six months earlier even with a higher possibility of glitch / recall.

The fact that the new 570S owner has to drive or ship his brand new car to get it fixed on his own dime is already ridiculous. So Honda/Acura's broader network comes into advantage here if there are going to be issues in the future for the NSX.

12C is still the better deal and i'm sticking by it :)

It is usually not a great idea to own the entry level of any supercar. I'm thinking California, Gallardo, Dino, Boxster, etc...

i guess one big factor for me is... no mclaren dealerships here so i would have to ship it to AZ anytime something went wrong =X

i guess one big factor for me is... no mclaren dealerships here so i would have to ship it to AZ anytime something went wrong =X

Part of what drew me to NSX was Honda's reputation for quality and reliability (and the huge dealer/service network).

That said, with any "first year of production" performance car, some glitches are to be expected. Bummer for early 570S adopters if they've had to deal with some issues, but I'd reserve judgment on broader "quality" issues for a year or more. Frankly, if I were an affected 570S owner I'd try to be a good sport about it IF (and ONLY if) McLaren stood behind the cars 100% and made it as painless as possible to deal with these issues (pick-up / drop off car, maybe throw in a free oil change or some other token gesture). On some level, I would have preferred it if I had the NSX six months earlier even with a higher possibility of glitch / recall.

The fact that the new 570S owner has to drive or ship his brand new car to get it fixed on his own dime is already ridiculous. So Honda/Acura's broader network comes into advantage here if there are going to be issues in the future for the NSX.

they're a small boutique car company, you have to cut them some slack. they can't be in every city in America like Acura or Audi.

i could be wrong about this, but if i do recall correctly, and this comes from McLaren owners. when there were problems with the 12C (or software updates for extra horsepower - which were free for the owners), McLaren would fly engineers to the owners, where ever they were at no cost to them. that's pretty serious customer service...

they're a small boutique car company, you have to cut them some slack. they can't be in every city in America like Acura or Audi.

i could be wrong about this, but if i do recall correctly, and this comes from McLaren owners. when there were problems with the 12C (or software updates for extra horsepower - which were free for the owners), McLaren would fly engineers to the owners, where ever they were at no cost to them. that's pretty serious customer service...

oh yea for sure, i don't expect them to be in my city its just a bummer that it becomes a concern when thinking about buying one for me. i was responding more towards RYU as he's in CA.

Yea it was true but that was when the 12C just came out and obviously first car in many years to come out, they wanted to show how great their customer service is/was. The only thing Mclaren of Scottsdale was saying to me for denver owners was that they would try to get a caravan of Mclaren owners that needed service for a cheaper delivery fee.

i have my test drives setup tomorrow for the new R8, Huracan, 458 (suggested by the dealer), will let you guys know how that goes. No 570s around me so will probably have to fly out to AZ for a drive.

Last edited:

I'm not against the small boutiques, but the owners dished out $200K+ for these cars. The least they can expect is next to perfect paint or other items until the warranty runs out. It would be different if the car was an affordable sports car. Then it wouldn't be much of an expectation.

i have my test drives setup tomorrow for the new R8, Huracan, 458 (suggested by the dealer), will let you guys know how that goes. No 570s around me so will probably have to fly out to AZ for a drive.

the Huracan will blow your mind with how fast it is, and the Ferrari with its precision and visceral nature. and as for a 570S testdrive, you won't be disappointed...

p.s. i look forward to hearing your point of perspectives.

I have a friend with 3 of them (2x12C, 1x650S). You're right. One of his is always at the dealership for voluntary reasons and for non-voluntary reasons. Don't buy w/o a warranty. However, your time is running low. Used 12C's still in the original warranty period are dwindling quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you seriously consider a 458 when the 488 is now available. There's something extra special about the way it looks.
That's seems to be the dilemma now, isn't it? The 488 is so good that it makes the 458 (which is also sooooo good) seem subpar. What a crazy world... Apparently, that's how the new turbo Porsches are presenting themselves too.

Last edited:
That's seems to be the dilemma now, isn't it? The 488 is so good that it makes the 458 (which is also sooooo good) seem subpar. What a crazy world... Apparently, that's how the new turbo Porsches are presenting themselves too.

but the 458 is the last of the naturally aspirated screamers. :cool:

and sooooo good...

the Huracan will blow your mind with how fast it is, and the Ferrari with its precision and visceral nature. and as for a 570S testdrive, you won't be disappointed...

p.s. i look forward to hearing your point of perspectives.

Would you seriously consider a 458 when the 488 is now available. There's something extra special about the way it looks.

Alright guys. interesting story came about.. i called my local lambo dealership and right off the bat i knew i didn't like this dealership... long story short i called ferrari of denver they had a used huracan and told me to come on down. Immediately when i got there the dealership was open arms and amazing! showing me their facility without even asking if i had my income taxes/credit score on hand. The sales rep and manager setup the huracan first and said "we set you up with a 458 test drive at the end... because we think you'll love it". I chuckled a little as i really never even considered the 458 and honestly the only ferrari that stuck with me was the F430 with its timeless looks.

Let me start off with this, as i feel like a lot of reviewers on youtube etc DO NOT specify their body build.. it makes a huge difference. I'm 6'1 , 190lbs, and id consider myself a bigger fella. Okay lets move forward :)

Huracan... oh man... It is a bull, extremely fast and it makes you feel like you're in a spaceship/jet. I've driven a gallardo before and kinda funny but the same thing happened to me in this car. Where did the quality go!? I felt like they slapped so many random parts from the Audi that they felt were great and also randomly placed these horrible plastic feeling knobs/buttons and it really just doesn't do it for more. It might look good at the moment but in a couple of years it'll lose its glimmer for sure. One big complaint i had was visibility and how big the dash was in front of you, you could barely see the front end of this car. The power was brute and amazing like it should be, seeing as the R8 V10 plus got its highly glorified reviews, besides that i would NEVER consider this car in my near future and very glad i got to drive one as i'm crossing off Lamborghini again off my list of car companies i just don't enjoy. The car itself looks amazing and lamborghini is just on top of the "look at me" supercars but i don't care for that and only care for me.. the driver.

458.. WOW! is all i can say. From the moment i sat in the car and adjusted the drivers seat, i already knew i was going to like this car. Start up the car and now I'm in love, the sound is so intoxicating and pure that its really like no other car out there. I love my NSX so much i that pinpoint things it to be in the next sports car i want. Visibility and driving position, the 458 nails it and made me feel amazingly comfortable driving this car at its limit. Did I say the sound of this car was intoxicating already? right... the redline at 9k redline and the blips of throttle with that famous hum of a ferrari, I think i fell in love guys. It really felt like an Italian beefy brother to the NSX and i know how we all go after that "f1" sounding exhaust.. with this you can have that with the power to back it up. The seats were amazingly comfortable and the car actually felt less gizmos/gadgets and more driver focused, i truly enjoyed it as you can tell from my small review. It's funny how your mind immediately will cross this car off because the "better" 488 came out with turbos until you actually drive one. I did more research and videos on the 488 after my drives and i'm not sure if I want turbos for my exotic. After the day full of V10/V8 NA with a blipping & crackling exhaust, id much rather have that sound and feeling then the sensational pull back of a turbo. ALSO! I didn't know but another huge selling point for me on this 458 was that any ferrari 2012+ gets free maintenance for 7 years.

Right after the enjoyment of these cars, i was on a high! I drove on my way to Audi and asked the sales rep if i could get a test drive in a R8 just so i can get the feeling of driving position etc but was told that i would need to wait next week. I know for a fact now that i need to drive the 570s, 12c, and some other cars ive been semi thinking about (GT2)

Back