• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm sold...

I was one of the nay sayers.. I watched every review, read the specs over and over and read countless articles. The new NSX was looking less appealing for me. I was able to see 4 of them in all different colors (Black, Valencia, 130R white, Silver). Pikes Peak Acura hosted an event for us today and i was lucky enough to be passenger in the silver nsx for a good 5-6 mins. The car is like no other, the instant torque from the electric motor combined with the midengine turbo V6 is just an insane feeling. I really tried to explain the feeling to all the other nsx owners but there aren't many cars that give you the combo/feeling. If you could mate a tesla/GT-R/old nsx, it would create this 2.0. We also had it on track mode and going over some good "bumps" on the road, the dampering system was great (soft&pleasing) and the visibility is just like the old nsx. If you're looking for the old nsx inside this one, you won't be as happy as things have changed with safety regulations/manual to DCT/new technology but if you're looking for a "New" "Sportscar" "eXperimental" this will give you just that. The only other vehicles that have the instant torque mated with a turbo or a big engine is the (918, p1, laferrari) which are in the millions to cost.

After the long drive back home and all the questions I was answering during lunch, I felt like I came to a realization with this new NSX and how I believe Acura marketed it all wrong. This cars main focus isn't the #'s or track times, its the everyday supercar that you can enjoy on the streets and take it to the track when you feel like it. It's owning a vehicle that has the hybrid technology and a midengine v6 for a pretty minimal cost. If Acura could just send out the demo NSXs with scheduled dates to each dealership so that previous & current nsx owners could get a ride in one, this thing would sell quite fast or create a lot more positive interest. It also doesn't help that many dealerships are putting dealer mark up.

I was looking into buying my next car (mp4, r8, huracan etc), within the first minute of the drive.. that all went out the window.

One question? Would you sell either of your gen 1 nsx's to get one? That will be the coup de grace...
I have not driven one yet, but seen them. The only gripe I have with my gen 1 is ease of use. It's hard to get in and out of and it's old tech. But in the same sense I think these cars will be like Hope diamonds in another 20 years. That is, if gas doesn't cost 100 dollars per gallon. Plus they hold up so freaking well! Another selling point for the second gen. Sure you could have a Huracan but will it last like an Acura? Probably not.

Yoo

I have been asking the NSX Rep over and over for the last 6 months about test drives. For a while is sounded possible and then went off the table.

At least a but of dealers have cars for folks to see.

I have to believe that the dealers that kept the cars for themselves could take some potential buyers out.

It was great that they did the event you were able to participate in.

I really believe they built the car for folks like me who want something wild to drive to work and around town and might get it on the track when the tires are just about ready to be replaced (to finish them off).

The car is amazingly easy to live with for commuting, the ride is nice, it is nimble, lacks any quirky behaviors and goes like stink as soon as I tell it to.

Last edited:
One question? Would you sell either of your gen 1 nsx's to get one? That will be the coup de grace...
I have not driven one yet, but seen them. The only gripe I have with my gen 1 is ease of use. It's hard to get in and out of and it's old tech. But in the same sense I think these cars will be like Hope diamonds in another 20 years. That is, if gas doesn't cost 100 dollars per gallon. Plus they hold up so freaking well! Another selling point for the second gen. Sure you could have a Huracan but will it last like an Acura? Probably not.

hey jinks. I would not sell the 98 for it just because i have a huge attachment towards older pop-up NSXs and the way i'm building this one out. I guess to answer your question in a different way.. if you HAD to get rid of your older one for this one, that would be a hard choice. It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish and if you're wanting that new technology really bad. If i sold both of mine to get this one, i know later down the road i would be sad because i would want the raw/analog feeling of the older NSX back. If you're getting to the point in your life where you don't care for the manuals anymore, looking to scratch the itch of new technology and want to be faster then 90% on the road this would be the car. The instant torque is very very addicting and i couldn't imagine a day where you would be sad feeling that power at any given moment.

The best of both worlds for me is to have aim for a 17/18 and keep my 98, although worlds apart somewhat of the same inheritance. Some members got the privilege to sit in the drivers seat for a couple of minutes, they were raving on how nicely it was to get in/out of the vehicle, also i forgot to mention those seats are extremely comfortable. Oh another cool point was im 6'1 and about 190lbs and i had about a good 5-6 inches of headroom left.

I agree on your huracan statement but also i would only be owning that vehicle for 1-2 years and probably selling it, the reviews on the huracan are unreal and the raw power sounds amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yoo

I have been asking the NSX Rep over and over for the last 6 months about test drives. For a while is sounded possible and then went off the table.

At least a but of dealers have cars for folks to see.

I have to believe that the dealers that kept the cars for themselves could take some potential buyers out.

It was great that they did the event you were able to participate in.

I really believe they built the car for folks like me who want something wold to drive to work and around town and might get it on the track when the tires are just about ready to be replaced (to finish them off).

The car is amazingly easy to live with for commuting, the ride is nice, it is nimble, lacks any quirky behaviors and goes like stink as soon as I tell it to.

hey bricks&bio

i got extremely lucky with this test drive as the owner of the actual dealership was there and gave it the green light. The NSX Rep will have no power in that sense, honestly they are just glorified sales rep with a little more book knowledge on the NSX spec sheets.

I agree the vehicle is really everything you would want and more. I believe people have different definitions of a "supercar".. some go off the power / #s without creature comforts / reliability etc and possibly Acuras definition of a "supercar" is that you would really want to drive this thing anywhere/everywhere..commuting to work, going to the gym, heading up to Cars&Coffee, ripping the mountains, roll racing, taking your wife to dinner and tracking it. Although that could be said with many other newer supercars (r8, huracan).. im not sure how many of those owners would want to put that many miles or if they feel comfortable? I guess my next question is how is the annual maintenance on this thing and what packages do they have for extended warranty.

Another thing i wanted to note is that i believe they hit the powerband on the head, its extremely fast and enough for the streets. When i had my 2012 GTR with 600whp, i really didn't have enough road to even use that power and at times would have rather had a better "comfort" setting for daily use settings.

Last edited:
My Porsche and Mclaren friends are still giving me sh*t about it. Haha! Just like the first gen nsx, it will be the owners selling this car... Not Honda.. Not the dealers...and certainly not the myopic, numbers drunken media.

I can relate....During my NSX ownership time, most who gave me a "raised eyebrow" look
about my choice in sports cars had never driven one.

Before I test drove & subsequently purchased my 1st NSX in 1994 (same day) I admit
I felt the same way.

My Porsche and Mclaren friends are still giving me sh*t about it. Haha! Just like the first gen nsx, it will be the owners selling this car... Not Honda.. Not the dealers...and certainly not the myopic, numbers drunken media.

its funny you say that because my mind instantly is okay with paying 200k for a new R8 but when thinking of a 17 NSX it likes to drift off.. but the car is worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

I can relate....During my NSX ownership time, most who gave me a "raised eyebrow" look
about my choice in sports cars had never driven one.

Before I test drove & subsequently purchased my 1st NSX in 1994 (same day) I admit
I felt the same way.

its all very very different when they get a ride/drive one. its interesting that till this day there are still people coming up to me in my older NSX asking if im okay with how slow it is... what they don't know is that im putting down 510whp =]

Last edited:
Regarding "instant torque," I would not describe it like that. The NSX is *NOTHING* like a Tesla in terms of "infinite torque instantly available at all times." When you are cruising in Sport mode in "D," the torque is available sooner than an old turbo car, but no sooner than a NA sports car where you have to drop a gear (or four!) before accelerating.

If you are in Track mode cruising at 4500 RPM, the torque is "instant," but no one will drive the car in this mode for normal street use (unless that are actively "playing").

Have you used the paddles in normal street driving?

yes. 2+ years ago. lol.

hondas/acuras have never been about absolute lap times, save for the last gen and current CTR.

its always been about usability. minus the plastic melting trunk. :p

I will be getting a test drive in a mp4 and 570s soon :) let you guys know how that goes

Looking forward to the MP4 update. I love that car. Hydraulic suspension and active aero. Can be a lady in the streets and a beast on the track.

Looking forward to the MP4 update. I love that car. Hydraulic suspension and active aero. Can be a lady in the streets and a beast on the track.
And a headache in the shop. Beware of McLarens. So many issues.

I will be getting a test drive in a mp4 and 570s soon :) let you guys know how that goes

let me know how you like the 570S after you've driven it. it's exhilarating from the moment you hit the starter button.

he's not wrong.

but the later versions are a lot better than the earlier ones...

but the later versions are a lot better than the earlier ones...
Don't kid yourself. One glance at the forums will show that they're still bad. Maybe the electronics are marginally improved but build quality and mechanical problems with 570 even. So saying "a lot" better is grossly overstated.

You guys are killing me lol

It's the 12C or MP4-12C. It's not the MP4. Stop using MP4 by itself.

i thought we were talking about Justin Bieber singles?

Don't kid yourself. One glance at the forums will show that they're still bad. Maybe the electronics are marginally improved but build quality and mechanical problems with 570 even. So saying "a lot" better is grossly overstated.

i didn't say perfect, i said a lot better. and i'm not talking about forums, i'm talking about actual owners and experience...

p.s. you like the Lambos it appears, no NSX for the NSX fan?

Yeah it's rather disappointing. I thought McLaren had really turned a corner with build quality, but recently two 570S's in my area showed up with nasty paint bubbling problems. Maybe it's isolated, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a more widespread issue:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-570s/60058-new-570s-paint-bubbling-doors.html

McLaren agreed to repaint but they want the buyer to pay for transporting the car to their approved paint facility.

The moral of the story might be to avoid first year McLarens.

Last edited:
i heard the 570S owners with paint problems applied wax to their cars 59 days after delivery, ignoring factory guidance of 60 cure period. Just kidding.

i heard the 570S owners with paint problems applied wax to their cars 59 days after delivery, ignoring factory guidance of 60 cure period. Just kidding.

LOL

I'm still shocked by that 60 day cure period.

The 570S is going thru a bunch of growing pains at the moment. You'd think they'd have sorted out the issues by now. I'm crossing my fingers that the NC1 NSX doesn't have any issues. So far so good right @chrisn? Hopefully that's the tradeoff whereby Honda spent a ton of man and machine hours testing as opposed to probably relatively little for the 570S or the first 12Cs for that matter but with a speedy release to market. I remember seeing a preproduction 570S. Granted.. hard to judge a preproduction model but the door cards, switches, etc were literally falling apart.

Last edited:
Back