• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2017 Acura NSX vs. 2017 Nissan GT-R - Head 2 Head

I think eSH-AWD and the lack of an active rear diff are the culprits of this seeming lack of pace on track?

I don't think lack of e-diff is a big issue (doesn't make it seconds a lap slower). Car does NOT have a problem putting the power down out of turns.

Saying that it is slow because of Hybrid SH-AWD is the same as saying it is slow because it is an NSX-- a tautology.

The way to make the NSX faster is to add power and perhaps dial-out mid-corner understeer (I think more negative camber up front could help). You could also make the car called "NSX" faster by taking away its distinctive design attributes and starting from scratch, but that seems both dumb and unlikely.

In early tests w/o the electric motors & battery but same motor, thought I read the prototype NSX was actually a better performer.

The rationale was the technology was the direction Honda wanted regardless.

Anybody else?

Nice cars...

I do own them both (though only a few days with NSX so far). BUT for different reasons. Both are a hoot to drive. One is more raw in appearance and drive, while the other is more refined (and of course 8 yrs newer/younger... plus more than twice the price! ) My only real complaint with the N$X... again so far with limited exposure to date. Different rides for different days is how I think of them.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I also have both...each has each own character and I will keep them both till the end :)

Funnily enough that video prompted me to go and buy a 2017 GTR, which I did. By far the best incarnation of that car so far.

Was expecting a crushing defeat of the GTR by the NSX and dissapointed to see it didn't deliver.

I still hold my NSX place in the queue, but I remain 90% certain of cancelling it. I find myself more excited about the Tesla model 3.

Other option is to let the deposit ride for a type R version, mainly because even though I'm not such a great driver, the NSX seems like a step backwards performance wise from even a very mildly modified GT-R. IF the aftermarket can extract better performance from the NSX, it would make it much more attractive.

Funnily enough that video prompted me to go and buy a 2017 GTR, which I did. By far the best incarnation of that car so far.

Was expecting a crushing defeat of the GTR by the NSX and dissapointed to see it didn't deliver.

I still hold my NSX place in the queue, but I remain 90% certain of cancelling it. I find myself more excited about the Tesla model 3.

Other option is to let the deposit ride for a type R version, mainly because even though I'm not such a great driver, the NSX seems like a step backwards performance wise from even a very mildly modified GT-R. IF the aftermarket can extract better performance from the NSX, it would make it much more attractive.

it's interesting to see how your opinion has changed in the last 6 months regarding the NSX. at one time i'd say you were probably the most excited about the car of everyone on here. has the performance of the car really disappointed you that much?

as for the 2017 GTR, isn't it the softest of the current iteration? what makes you say it's the best incarnation so far? curious...

it's interesting to see how your opinion has changed in the last 6 months regarding the NSX. at one time i'd say you were probably the most excited about the car of everyone on here. has the performance of the car really disappointed you that much?

as for the 2017 GTR, isn't it the softest of the current iteration? what makes you say it's the best incarnation so far? curious...

Too many points in my head to formulate into an easy answer.

The NSX was on paper exactly what I'd choose if given a clean sheet of spec. As a result I envisaged something that would be the ultimate performer in all areas. I expected it to raise the bar in performance, handling, efficiency, emissions, and yet be priced as a japanese giant killer. I expected a price of two thirds to maybe three quarters what it now costs. At that price I expected it to be a game changer and it is not. It is eclipsed in each or possibly several of these metrics by its competition.

I wasn't impressed by the looks initially but can say these have grown on me, but the interior is a let down. After years in 7 GT-Rs I was looking forward to a first rate interior with modern infotainment, again a huge disappointment as the UK unit looks and feels 5 years behind the times. I possibly am more disappointed because I had such high expectations. I started looking at conventional drivetrain cars thinking, no way they are dinosaurs, and yet they still hold their own.

My NSX was coming out twice the price of my GT-R (before latest mods - see later). It is no better in any area except rarity and I don't really care about that. I buy cars for me, not so that other people will make assumptions about me.

So for £160k instead of £80k I really couldn't figure out why I should bother instead of a GT-R. The saving grace being I could potentially spend a few months in it without losing any money as they were going for an expected premium, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I know of brand new cars on sale that aren't selling at list. I'm not prepared to risk buying a car that just doesn't deliver on its promises and then potentially lose tens of thousands on it even though there's not even 100 on the road.

It just doesn't make a strong case for itself. Its trump card is that it's versatile. I don't really care for an everyday supercar, I like it to be special to drive, so would rather save it for the weekends. That makes its best quality redundant for me.

as for the GT- R I didn't get a basic one this time, I bought a special edition:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...tchfield-lm20-nissan-gt-r-launched-full-specs

Main point being it addresses the soft suspension and adds in some lovely mods that only add to the car.

Reason I especially like it is the body work and interior look much better than previously to the point that it looks more aggressive and islike a new car both inside and out. I love being able to mod without compromising the value, which I doubt would be possible on the NSX, and the choice of mods on this car address the softening that the MY17 is meant to include.

This model is astonishing and worth every penny of the extra over the stock car - especially with the warranty and service pack included.

I've also ripped the interior apart and put it back together again to install a remote starter kit and have really noticed how much more solid it is compared to previously. It has grown up in a way that may add a little weight but results in an NVH level far closer to say a 991 (still not on par), but retaining the characteristics of the GT-R that I've always loved.

And after all the above, I still have £65k in my pocket compared with the NSX, and it's a known and excellent quantity when it comes to depreciation.

Last edited:
That is pretty much my take on it as well. Do I like it? Yes. Would I buy one? Maybe. The price is just too much of a whopper for a Japanese car. Even the LFA which has an awesome engine is slow for it's high cost and quite ugly in my mind. Before the car dropped everyone said, "this thing better beat the gt-r otherwise it is not worth the price" and that was back when we were expecting it to actually be 155k! I cannot even imagine how stressful it would be to get any sort of electrical gremlins in that car a few years down the road. Keep in mind the 2017 gt-r is one of slower ones too. But yes, they did do a much better job on the gt-r interior in 2017. Plus Nissan has a track record for being easily upgraded very much unlike ANY nsx.

The everyone you reference haven't even been in an LFA.

The cost is crazy high but it is totally fun to drive and built to last many decades. The interior details are amazing.

Pricing was well known and Toyota had no interest in selling against the GT-R. It was built to show the world how much engineering prowess Toyota has and to be a short term halo product.

Last edited:
The everyone you reference haven't even been in an LFA.

The cost is crazy high but it is totally fun to drive and built to last many decades. The interior details are amazing.

Pricing was well known and Toyota had no interest in selling against the GT-R. It was built to show the world how much engineering press Toyota has and to be a short term halo product.
If you lived closer bud, I'd ask ya for a spin in it! No question! It sucks that your probably buried in snow right now and unable to drive your new toy. I know if I had that car, I certainly wouldn't be reading some jinks posts. Enjoy it bro. Don't mind what I say about it. I do not own it. I only read comparisons. If you love it, love it.

The roads here in California have all been washed the hell out. My nsx is on jack stands getting modifications done to it. I need to drive it! Things just started to dry up though. So you may only need to put up with me for another day or so.:biggrin:
Until then I can only post and hope the new nsx is brought to the masses like the first gen was a few years after production.

37 degrees in Chicago today due to Global warming.

I only get it out about once a week. Got to do the recycling for tenants in one apartment building and vacuum the stairs in another, and I don't think showing up in the NSX to do manual labor is good form.

I have snow tires on the car so cold is no problem.

I think Friday will be the day this week.

Honda pissed off lots of folks by not doing a light, under $100K car, so this is a good place to vent. The S2000 folks are more pissed off because they got no gen 2 car so far.

37 degrees in Chicago today due to Global warming.

I only get it out about once a week. Got to do the recycling for tenants in one apartment building and vacuum the stairs in another, and I don't think showing up in the NSX to do manual labor is good form.

I have snow tires on the car so cold is no problem.

I think Friday will be the day this week.

Honda pissed off lots of folks by not doing a light, under $100K car, so this is a good place to vent. The S2000 folks are more pissed off because they got no gen 2 car so far.
Probably a good idea. You never wanna show off the fruits of your labor to people struggling in these given times. We see what happens on Facebook live....
Just enjoy your new car. People can trash it, dog it, if you love it, you love it. I'm sure I would too. :cool: Just like many new owners say, we did not drive it. Take it with a grain of salt. Like I do. I like it, but for cost of ownership, I just prefer something else....

Difference is the LFA does have a nice trump card.

It's expensive but has one of the most beautiful sounding engines of all time with other worldly throttle response.

It is an all time great and has held its value.

The NSX is far better looking, I don't like the LFA to look at.

Fyi the 2017 gt-r is only slowest on the track due to the suspension, nothing else. So easily fixed that it's a non issue and now as a result, even before adding 100bhp and even more torque, it's faster and feels faster than the NSX. It isn't as special, but for the £60k+ in my pocket I can cope, or I could buy a dedicated track car.

It appears that very few will get to hear the Screaming banshee sound of the LFA

about 174 came to the U.S.,

i believe at least 2 relocated to Canada

At least 2 US cars went to Europe (a guy got 003 and 499 I believe and then sold them)

1 was dropped off a shipping truck last year and we have not heard if Lexus wants to rebuild it for the guy

A few are known to be driven, 1 gentleman who posts here and another small cluster that post on a clublexus, including Mr3. He has 3 gen 1 NSX cars, the same for a couple of Ferrari models and 3 LFAs. He also should have received a gen 2 NSX by now but he has gone quiet.

i believe most of the U.S. cars are stuck in collector garages like the ring edition car I recently saw in storage in Chicago

ok, let's put the LFA and the GT-R aside, and consider another competitor.

The R8.

http://www.whatcar.com/news/new-honda-nsx-vs-audi-r8-verdict/

A nice simple review here. no frills, not overly wordy, just factual and to the point.

Again, the NSX shows itself to be an excellent car, just not as good as the R8. If you go through the whole review, it reads very much like my criticism compared with the GT-R. So much promise, just a slight shortfall in the delivery. I am really gutted it didn't meet my expectations.

the R8 Plus, Huracan, or Gallardo Superleggera all sound ridiculous. as does the Ferrari 355. and of course the LFA.

personally i love the F1-inspired, high pitched wail of the Yamaha tuned Toyota. but i'm right with any of the others listed above!

Back