• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

94 OEM Wheels Real or Relpica?

I found these OEM 94 NSX wheels for sale for what looks like a very good deal. How can I tell if they are real OEM or replicas?
Sizes are correct Front 16x7 and Rear 17x8.5
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Honda did make those '94 wheels in chrome finish but if you find that they are truly OEM, they have a history of the chrome flaking off so be careful if you're thinking of refinishing them as the chrome finish can be difficult to remove. Not impossible .. but not easily either.

Thanks I was planning on sandblasting and then powder coating. That should do the trick no?

The wizards who do refinishing & repairs on high end wheels have a process where they can re-machine the face of the wheel. That should be capable of removing the chrome leaving you with a surface that can have whatever finish you want. It is expensive. When I acquired my 2000, it had a scrub on the OEM right rear wheel lip and some of the clear coat was pealing and the exposed aluminum was slightly corroded. The cost to R&R the tire with balancing, remove the clear coat, do a little fill with aluminum where the scrub was, re-machine the whole wheel surface so that the surface of the patch and the corroded area matched the machined surface on the rest of the wheel and then clear coat the wheel was approximately $800 Cdn.

Sandblasting may not work very well, particularly if that is a true chrome / nickel finish that has been plated on to the wheel. Chrome / nickel is hard. Aluminum is soft. You could end up chewing up any exposed aluminum surfaces as you try to get the chrome finish off.

If you are thinking about restoring those wheels, the price better be really good.

Last edited:
Back