• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM parts made in China

I received from an Acura dealer two rear hatch stays p/n 74820-SL0-315. Packages show OEM genuine Honda part but also "Made in China". I have owned NSX's and bought parts for them for about 22 years; don't recall noticing chinese origin for any part in the past. Did I miss anything?

It does not surprise me to see that. Japanese automakers are probably seeking part production beyond their borders in order to minimize their costs. My understanding is that Honda's GC line of small engines (i.e. lawnmowers) has been fabricated in China for years with no apparent ill effect. Remember, that those items may be fabricated by Honda in China just like the NSX is fabricated by Honda in the US. However, not likely that Honda would have set up a production facility for hatch struts. In this case, it will be a function of how much effort Honda puts in to selecting and managing the quality control with that vendor.

I think you can get good quality stuff from China if you are willing to pay the price. Most people expect to pay a really low price and they get the equivalent of a Roper dishwasher as a result.

Back