• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cobb access port

Hi all,

coming from hefty tuning of gtrs, the first thing Id like to do is see if the NSX can be remapped through the obd2 port.

I know the civic type r is proving almost inhackavle at the moment but am wondering if the NSX might use different ecu hardware.

I find myself slightly disappointed at the ICE power output and think that a little extra boost from a remap would make a huge difference.

My favoured ecu remap is a uk company called ecutek but since we don't have any cars out here yet, I was wondering if anyone stateside with a customer car had contacted Cobb to see if they can have a go at it. If they can get into it, it opens up a world of possibilities and makes the NSX incredibly attractive.

The Go-To Honda equivalent of ECUtek (I use to use ECUtek in my Subaru) would be Hondata. However, Hondata hasn't had any turbo Hondas to experiment until very recently. I haven't kept up with the latest turbo Civics but looking into those forums might lead to some insight.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm against using Hondata just because they have a history with Hondas. Ecutek is just down the road from me and I know the guys and the set up really well. What they can do with the GT-R is 99% as good as the best after market standalone ecus, but has the beauty of perfect integration.

The only reason not to go with ecutek (or cobb which is its main GT-R rival) is if they can't get in through the port, but I suspect if they can't get in, no one else can.

The civic hasn't been hacked yet, but I'm not sure there's much appetite to keep trying.

When the gtr came out, tuners said it was unhackable. Where there is left over power, there is a way....
Probably won't be until next year though I would imagine.

I wouldn't send my mother in law to Hennessey for car modifications...

I am sure the good folks of SOS will come up with something good. I would wait for that...

I had EcuTek on my GT-R. Very nice platform and software. Hopefully they can do the same for the NSX.

I've built my share of old formula car racing engines, but I'm new to all of this chipping, re-mapping stuff. I'd appreciate it if someone would take the time to educate me as to what all this re-tuning does or changes? Is everything in the engine system under the control of the ECU now? What changes does the "tune" make to increase HP? Timing? fuel mixture?
boost? Redline? What is most responsible for the HP or torque increases? I hear about guys chipping GTR's up to 1000 HP??? Seems crazy that you can gain that much HP just by reprogramming the ECU??? Ignorant and curious......

Is everything in the engine system under the control of the ECU now? What changes does the "tune" make to increase HP? Timing? fuel mixture?
boost? Redline? What is most responsible for the HP or torque increases? I hear about guys chipping GTR's up to 1000 HP??? Seems crazy that you can gain that much HP just by reprogramming the ECU??? Ignorant and curious......

Yes, ECU controls all you mention. And all of the items you mention, are the items that can be changed. "chipping" is an old term that I personally dislike. Remapping the tune of the car in various ways(many different ways you can achieve this these days, some are riskier than others), in conjunction with upgrading hard parts is what increases power levels. Not simply a tune(tune can increase hp/tq, but the OEM components/all components have limits..).

No one is chipping a GT-R to 1000hp. I have a full bolt on E85 GT-R that makes 610hp at the wheels, or a little over 700hp at the crank. That requires dual 3” intakes, catless downpipes, catless midpipe, 1000cc injectors, high flow fuel pumps, flex fuel setup, E85 gas, and a Cobb or Ecutek custom tune. Adding aftermarket turbos will get you to 800 crank hp though you run the risk of bending a rod. So most recommend doing a build engine with stronger rods and pistons plus cams and a ported head and you can get to 1000 crank hp (but that also requires a built tranny). So 700hp is easy, but 1000hp requires pulling the motor and way more money. Getting to 700hp only costs $5-7K, but a reliable 1000hp engine build with tranny is $50K.
I’m thinking that now that Vivid Racing has an ECU tune that adds 80-100hp, we just need downpipes, injectors, intakes, fuel pumps, and E85 to get over 700hp. That will be a wicked NSX.

Back