• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda B series Powered NSX

Okay, we have a 91 NSX that's been in the hands of close friends for about 20 years now. It has built C30A engine with CTSC and last made about 325 whp... fun little car that runs mid 12's @ ~115 mph trap speed.

Just few days ago I came across an affordable true sequential transmission for the Honda B series engines and suddenly I have this wild idea of selling the C30A drive train and install a turbo B16A (or B18, B20 all fits the same) power plant in there. This is just early day dreaming but I know technically it is fairly easy to do. The most difficult part will probably be the engine mounts. I just wanted to get this conversation started... I'll be back to visit.

- - - Updated - - -

darkness-B-sequential-1.jpgdarkness-B-sequential-2.jpgdarkness-B-sequential-3.jpg

The gearbox contains:
Double sided clutch disc limited slip differential (LSD)
Amplified drive shaft of differential 2x (no outer CV joints)
Drive shafts placed 3 times in bearings
Choice from two permanent type of gears 4,076 or 4,307
Hydraulic clutch bearing
Sensor of shifting gears + display and pothead
Gear lever with rod and aretation for reverse gear.
Standardly supplies gear ratios:
1Q=2,636 2Q=2,0 3Q=1,667 4Q=1,438 5Q=1,235 6Q=1,095
Other types of gear ratios made in 14 working days for same price
1 year warranty
Weight: 35,5 kg

We are Europe based company.

------------------------------------------------

This is the magical piece!! It looks very well engineered.

Last edited:
Coming from building turbo B-Series motors myself, you're not going to want ot go with a B16 (anything). Both the A2/A3, are torqueless, even on boost. The B16B (CTR) is an endurance motor built around a B18 block. Before seriously looking into this, I'd seriously look at the differences between the motors.

If you could mount a B16 transmission to the C30, it'd be fun.

There's already K powered nsx in the States.

I would be the first with a white NSX K powered running. Then there is a black one that is running a K powered one to.
There was a race car with one a long time ago that came up with the idea but never made it to the street.

I would recommend you pick a budget and stick with it. K powered or B powered will be much more complicated than you can imagine to do it right. Estimate $30,000 min to do it right. buying a Ferrari 360 is a better investment FYI.

There is a decently affordable sequential transmission for K series as well. I race a B series car and would agree that it would be a bit of a bummer in and NSX especially a b16 . (Not that that should stop you if you're hearts set) Like others have said K20 or K24 is generally a better motor for tq, tune ability, crankcase blow by, transmission etc etc. Do it. 100%, i like new fresh stuff.

Also, Who makes that B series sequential transmission?

Last edited:
I see a NSX with 1.6i NA in the Time Attack Pocket Rocket class here in Europe. Only up to 1,7i NA is allowed. I talked with my friend and the German Time Attack technican in summer if this would be allowed for 2017. If the regulars of downsizing is confirmed (in 2 weeks the new reglement is online), we may start such a project.

We talk about 850kg and 210bhp on a tuned B16A2 with ITBs

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say go with a frankenstein K20/K24 build if you're gonna undertake something like this. I believe Quaife makes a sequential for the K series. In terms of a balls-out 4cyl drivetrain, that seems like the ultimate setup (at least if you want to stay Honda). Otherwise, maybe look into the Honda J-series if you want to stay with 6 cylinders. There are at least two members on Prime that are building twin turbo J engines.

I see a NSX with 1.6i NA in the Time Attack Pocket Rocket class here in Europe. Only up to 1,7i NA is allowed. I talked with my friend and the German Time Attack technican in summer if this would be allowed for 2017. If the regulars of downsizing is confirmed (in 2 weeks the new reglement is online), we may start such a project.

We talk about 850kg and 210bhp on a tuned B16A2 with ITBs

can we get nsx down to 850 kg with ease?!

one thing i like about doing B into NSX is that it is a bit more period correct. both developed pretty much at the same time in 1989... 210 bhp b16a you don't even need itb. my del sol b16a makes 192 whp with stock 10.4 CR long block.

Lets start with reality. We have here a very healthy little B16A to start with.

Dyno date & location: 2006 at DNR Performance in Hayward, CA
Tuner: Dave Nguyen & GhettoRacer
Block: JDM B16A 10.4:1 CR
Head: JDM B16A PR3 all stock, except for AKMEE prototype valve train kit (2005 spec), cams, springs, titanium retainers, ITR LMA
Header: JDM JUN 4-2-1 extractor, 60 mm test pipe
Exhaust: OG Z.SPEED N1 prototype catback 60 mm (only set ever, bought from Dave Hsu for $250 in 1996 lol), Made in Thailand!
Induction: MegaTube intake w/K&N filter (Doug Thompson, ENDYN Larry's friend), 68-64 mm overbore TB from JG (ha ha), JDM ITR IM (stock)
Ignition System: MSD 6A w/external Blaster 3 coil, NGK copper plugs with big gaps
ECU: Infamous Mugen 68BD Program, 'yall remember Skank2 used to sell it for like $300 (seal ECU with nasty epoxy) and call their own. It's just a Mugen chip hooked up by Mr. San of BuddyClub (Mr. San has deep connection with Mugen Japan)
Fuel system: stock fuel pump, stock 240 cc injectors, adjustable B&M FPR (I always like to run 60 psi rail pressure)
Transmission: Canadian 1999 ITR, stock ratios and stock 4.4 FD
Tires: some 205/50/15

As you can see the result is pretty impressive!!

80-delly_b16a_sae_192whp_bbcdfce2aa2255da51231f9ef7477222d978e30a.jpg

Last edited:
Back