• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Southern California to Central Florida - NSXPO 2016

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}</style>This is the first (hopefully) in series of posts regarding the trip of Craig Ryan and the Cano’s (Mario and Sally) to NSXP 2016 from So Cal. I’m writing this on Friday, October 28 and we plan to leave our meet-up point tomorrow at 7:00 am. I’ll be leaving my house in Orange County at 6 and I suspect Mario will be on his way at about the same time. We will meet up where the 10 and 215 intersect. Then it’s the 10 for around 2,500 miles.

attachment.php

This is the mileage I am starting with. I expect to add around 6,000 miles to that since I'm planning a few side trips on the way home. One of which will be running the "Tail Of The Dragon" in North Carolina. If you don't know what that is, google it.

I decided to try to minimize the road rash that my NSX would accumulate on the way. This is what I am trying.

attachment.php
attachment.php

That is 3M 764 General Purpose Vinyl tape. It seems to stick pretty well but it comes off pretty easily. Time will tell if it really works. I will be checking it often to make sure it will come off.

Well that's it for this post. I'll try to let you all know if anything interesting happens. Take care and see you when I return.
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}</style>

Attachments

• _DSC1009.jpg
    _DSC1009.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 318
  • _DSC1010.jpg
    _DSC1010.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 315
  • _DSC1011.jpg
    _DSC1011.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I can't seem to post pics with my iPad so I guess I'm out of luck there.
I noticed on my iPhone and iPad that the picture of my odometer does not show up in the original post. It does on my computer at home. FYI the reading was 44,770 miles. Right now after day one the reading is 45,509 miles. That's 739 miles today. Not bad for 13 hours on the road with a few stops for food and gas etc. We are in Deming New Mexico. On the road again in the morning. I'll try again to post pics. Maybe I'll figure it out.

Attachments

• _DSC1013.jpg
    _DSC1013.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 65
  • _DSC1015.jpg
    _DSC1015.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 62
  • _DSC1019.JPG
    _DSC1019.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 53
  • _DSC1013.jpg
    _DSC1013.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 61
  • _DSC1022.jpg
    _DSC1022.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Subscribed...

Well folks, it looks like only one California NSX is going to make it to NSXPO. While on the outskirts of San Antonio, my clutch slip some when I gave the car some gas when going up a hill. We were going to stop for the night in San Antonio anyway, so we got a room at the Windham. Johnathan tried to get the name of reliable NSX shop in San Antonio, but it looks like Houston and Dallas is where one takes their NSX in Texas. So, in the morning we are going to try and make to Houston, about 170 miles from San Antonio. If we break down along the way, I'l have the car towed to Huston and hopeful someone will provide me with the name of a good NSX shop there. One arrangements are made to get a new or used clutch installed. Sally and I are going to fly into Orlando to enjoy NSXPO. Then after NSXPO we will fly back to Houston to pick up the car. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for us in our attempt to reach Houston!

Best Mario

Well folks, it looks like only one California NSX is going to make it to NSXPO. While on the outskirts of San Antonio, my clutch slip some when I gave the car some gas when going up a hill. We were going to stop for the night in San Antonio anyway, so we got a room at the Windham. Johnathan tried to get the name of reliable NSX shop in San Antonio, but it looks like Houston and Dallas is where one takes their NSX in Texas. So, in the morning we are going to try and make to Houston, about 170 miles from San Antonio. If we break down along the way, I'l have the car towed to Huston and hopeful someone will provide me with the name of a good NSX shop there. One arrangements are made to get a new or used clutch installed. Sally and I are going to fly into Orlando to enjoy NSXPO. Then after NSXPO we will fly back to Houston to pick up the car. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for us in our attempt to reach Houston!

Best Mario

If ur in SA. Give Scott Oliver at HNA Automotive a call. He is a local NSX guru who is prepping cars for NSXPO right now.

If you make it to Houston give Carl a call at C&M Honda. I service with him along with a lot of other people.

Good luck.

Hellllooo Mario
I agree with Texmorales, Scott Oliver at HNA 12702 Mayhill Dr. Suite 104, SAN Antonio, TX, 210-543-1565 is well qualified NSX shop that I would recommend. Sorry to hear about your bump in the road but he will get you going in no time. Tell him that Dale the guy from California that bought Brett Workman's Black 02 referred you. Good luck.

If ur in SA. Give Scott Oliver at HNA Automotive a call. He is a local NSX guru who is prepping cars for NSXPO right now.

If you make it to Houston give Carl a call at C&M Honda. I service with him along with a lot of other people.

Good luck.

Yes, I took mar car to Scott's shop, As a temporary (cheap) fix we are only going to replace the clutch disk, and reuse everything else. I'm hoping to get on the road again late afternoon tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation!

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE:
I was going to try and make it to Houston where some reputable NSX mechanics could be found.. However, with the help from Johnathan and a couple NSX owners in Texas, I was provided with the name of a very reputable NSX mechanic in San Antonio. So, I did not have to take a chance in driving to Houston with a bad clutch.
The shop is HNA Automotive, and the owner is Scott Oliver. I was so relieved to see 3 NSX's in his work shop when we arrived. Now the problem was finding a new or even a used clutch. Well, we could not find either that we can get in a timely manner. So, we ended up ordering just the disk out of Cincinnati and it will be deliverer to Scott's shop tomorrow morning. Scott will start right away in that another NSX owner volunteered his slot on Scott's work load so that Scott get started on my car first thing tomorrow's. so, Sally and I should be on our way again tomorrow late afternoon.
You just have love NSXPRIME and Facebook, and the NSX membership for finding a good NSX mechanic folr me in San Antonia. We should get NSXPO Thursday, unless I can do some marathon driving days, then we will get there in time for the trip the Kennedy Space Center!.
I'll keep you posted!

- - - Updated - - -

Craig followed me to the NSX shop in San Antonio. Onece we had a plan in place, he then continued the trip alone. We will catch up with him in Orlando!

- - - Updated - - -

Hellllooo Mario
I agree with Texmorales, Scott Oliver at HNA 12702 Mayhill Dr. Suite 104, SAN Antonio, TX, 210-543-1565 is well qualified NSX shop that I would recommend. Sorry to hear about your bump in the road but he will get you going in no time. Tell him that Dale the guy from California that bought Brett Workman's Black 02 referred you. Good luck.

Yes, it appears that Scott is the man in San Antonio! Thanks for the recommendation! See above on what we are planning to do!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, we have been attracting a lot of attention on our trip. At just about every gas or food stop, we get a lot of compliments an have a lot of quick discussions. One guy in Phoenix asked me if my car was a 97! I don't how he would guess that LOL!

Last edited:
Happy to help out a local So Cal NSX owner, luckily I just happened to check Prime at 11PM and saw your POST.
Drive safe.
Dale

Day 3

Mario told his part of the story. I don't have much more to say. I'm in Lafayette LA after an easy drive day. I may just shoot all the way to the NSXPO hotel and have an extra day to check out the area, but maybe not. It depends on how I feel. Tonight I'm just watching the football game.
Mario did not mention that we had a fabulous dinner last night at the Chart House in San Antonio. It's on top of the 750 foot high Tower of the Americas. The whole restaurant rotates for 360 degree views of the city. It's a must see if you ever make it there.
More later.

Just checking to see how the 3M was holding up? I have been looking for another solution instead of painters tape. Glad the see the clutch issue was worked out. NSX people are awesome!

Mario told his part of the story. I don't have much more to say. I'm in Lafayette LA after an easy drive day. I may just shoot all the way to the NSXPO hotel and have an extra day to check out the area, but maybe not. It depends on how I feel. Tonight I'm just watching the football game.
Mario did not mention that we had a fabulous dinner last night at the Chart House in San Antonio. It's on top of the 750 foot high Tower of the Americas. The whole restaurant rotates for 360 degree views of the city. It's a must see if you ever make it there.
More later.

6 of us are convoying from Houston early Tue morning and will stop in Pensacola for the night. If u decide to take it easy u can join us as we catch up.

I like reading about your adventures, guys. Thank you for posting, Mario and Craig, and you guys helping Mario.

Well I made it to Orlando. According to the GPS, I've come 2,569.6 miles (the odometer was a bit different) in four days. I felt that they were easy days. I could definitely do it in 3 if I had to.
There are 6 or 8 NSX's here already. The weather has been perfect so far and the scenery in the southern states is very nice. Exactly the opposite of SoCal. Water everywhere in every form, rivers, lakes, bays, swamps, you name it, they have it.
I'll be checking out the venue tomorrow and getting the car cleaned up. I am looking forward to getting the tape off of the front of the NSX to see how well it worked. I think it's going to be fine.

The tape is working great so far. The real test will be taking it off. I'll let you know.

Sounds great. Glad you guys made it safe and sound! Enjoy the XPO, if it is anything like last years that wont be a problem!

Well now I have some information on the tape.

When I was touching up some dings on one of the mirrors, I noticed the the paint was really bad. It was not sticking to the mirror properly and almost looked like the mirrors were wrapped, not painted. Well, I was right. It is either a really bad paint job or a bad wrap job. When I tried to peel off the tape (in the the morning when it was cool) this is what happened.

It pulled the "paint" off but you can also see where it lifted the "paint" in other areas. You can even smooth it around just as if it were a decal. Very strange. I am going to wait till it warms up to do the rest. Obviously, I will be much more careful with the rest of it. I really don't anticipate too much trouble on the front where I believe there is real paint.

incidentally, I still cannot seem to get photos to post "in line" even though I am clicking the "in line" button.

Attachments

• _DSC1030.jpg
    _DSC1030.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
The tape

OK, as Jimmy Buffet said "its my own damn fault."

I made 3 errors. I tried to remove the tape when it was cool. I was not careful in the removal process. And I applied it to really crummy paint.

I waited a couple of hours till the tape was warm to the feel and was very careful in removing it. No problem at all. It came off beautifully. (See photo)

Bottom line - If you are thinking about doing this JUST for bugs, don't. It's far easier and less time consuming to wash the bugs off after the trip. If your concern is primarily road rash, I think the tape will work vey well. I would suggest getting the widest available but also, get some 1 inch wide as well. It's much easier than trying to cut down the width on the wide tape.

Attachments

• _DSC1031.jpg
    _DSC1031.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 45
Back